Thread: Colorado to Alaska

Default Colorado to Alaska

So im trying and planning on making the voyage up come the end of april or beginning of may to river guide. figured i would see what kind of input i can get that can help out in any kind of way. i will be driving up with my dog and probably just plan on camping out for the summer in or around hope if i can get on six mile. any advice would be greatly appreciated. hhow much money to bring up? how is the drive up? - sleeping/camping on the drive up? would it be better to ferry or drive? any problems crossing or while in canada? or anything else that anybody feels that i should know? much thanks
    -justin

There shouldn't be any problem camping on the way up. I don't know the official rules, but we had no problem just camping in roadside pullouts on our last drive north. You'll need a passport - not just a driver's license - but otherwise there shouldn't be any issues with the border crossings. If you own one, do not bring a handgun through Canada with you. You'll be turned back at the border. How much money to bring is obviously dependant on your spending habits. If you're planning to camp all summer, though, I wouldn't keep too much cash. We don't have too much crime, but that should could ruin a summer if you lost it all. The drive is cheaper and faster than the ferry, though seeing the Inside Passage would be nice. I'd stick with the drive, personally. Consider coming up the Alcan and going home via the Cassiar Highway if you can budget a few extra days. Awesome country to behold, and even better if you have time to hike.

Dog needs health papers under 30 days old with rabies shot

We took a month to drive up and camped all through Canada. Bring a 2 wt if you have one and enjoy some of the best grayling fishing anywhere. If you cross liquid water on in BC/Yukon, get out, walk the dog, and enjoy dry flies. Hope is more about whitewater than guided fishing. Good luck!
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    We took a month to drive up and camped all through Canada. Bring a 2 wt if you have one and enjoy some of the best grayling fishing anywhere. If you cross liquid water on in BC/Yukon, get out, walk the dog, and enjoy dry flies. Hope is more about whitewater than guided fishing. Good luck!

thanks!.. yea im definitly headed there for the whitewater but would still like to get alot of good fishing and hiking in. and from what i hear, fishing in AK is the best, especially around the kenai area

It seems like we exchanged some info earlier about Hope/Girdwood. Shoot a line when you get up and I'll take you for a beer, introduce the Girdwood white water crowd. They are good folks! Fish on!
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Dunno if it has been mentioned, get yourself a copy of the MILEPOST for the drive up. It's a definite asset, and can be a real trip saver. Hope/Girdwood area is a beautiful place to be sure, just be cognizant of the fact that once Summer arrives, so will the campers (both local and tourist). If you're planning on camping in that area it is literally Anchorages' backyard, highway/road accessible campsites will get a lil' crowded. If you have free time and head North, look me up, if I am in Town I'd be happy to show you some of the drainage's up this way.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    It seems like we exchanged some info earlier about Hope/Girdwood. Shoot a line when you get up and I'll take you for a beer, introduce the Girdwood white water crowd. They are good folks! Fish on!
    awesome, yea i definitly will. thanks!