Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Mil Spec 45 or Taurus

Default Springfield Mil Spec 45 or Taurus

Been thinking of adding another .45 (1911 model) to the collection. Have narrowered it down to either a Springfield Mil Spec or one of the Taurus's that are similar. Have owned a couple of Taurus wheel guns in the past and realize their quality can be hit or miss but have never owned a Springfield. Already own a Kimber and S&W so not interested in either of them or any polymer models. Most likely will never see duty beyond the range or hiding somewhere in the house to be used in an emergency.

Any comments about either the Springfield or Taurus would be appreciated.
    Tennessee

Anything other than Taurus. I'd buy four Hi-Points instead of one Taurus knowing at least one would probably work if I needed it. If it was purely a range queen then anything goes, but you mention possible use as a self defense weapon, and none of the Taurus' (Taurii?) I've owned have been close to 100% (or even 90%) reliable.

Default Springfield Armory

is the way I'd go. I've had experience with both brands, which is why I state my preference.

The Springfield has better resale plus look at all the stuff you can add to it. I never have had a problem Taurus but others have.

Buy Springfield, at least you won't have to use the warranty that way.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Buy Springfield, at least you won't have to use the warranty that way.
    Good advice!

The only Taurus .45s I'd recomend are the 1911 or the OSS DS, but since you don't want a poly gun... I torture tested an off-the-rack Taurus 1911 and found it to be a very reliable handgun. Taurus gets a bad rap sometimes and with some of their guns, they deserve it, but not those two.

That said, Springfield is a darn good gun too. I'd give the quality edge to the Springfield, but don't overlook the Taurus just on a bad rep.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

I've had both come through the shop and would not consider the Taurus at all. The Springfield would be an excellent choice.

I can't comment on the Taurus. So far I've put about 150 rounds through my Mil-Spec. About 100 PMC 230 gr. FMJ and about 50 of my hanloads using 230 gr Hornady XTP HP w/a start load of Hodgdon Tite' Group. Both loads hit point of aim at 15 yds with no sight adjustment. Haven't had a jam yet. Accuracy is acceptable with average groups about 7". Good luck.

I'm a once-bitten twice shy kind of guy, and I will never again spend my hard-earned dollars for anything with Taurus stamped on it. Springfield gets my vote. They produce high-quality firearms and are still in a price range that most people can reach. I have had a Springfield XD .45 and it was 100% reliable, and accurate to boot. I also owned a Springfield 30-06 that I am still kicking myself for getting rid of.

I eventually want to get a compact 1911 style pistol for a carry gun, and the Springfield EMP is the one I'll be getting.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
    I can't comment on the Taurus. So far I've put about 150 rounds through my Mil-Spec. About 100 PMC 230 gr. FMJ and about 50 of my hanloads using 230 gr Hornady XTP HP w/a start load of Hodgdon Tite' Group. Both loads hit point of aim at 15 yds with no sight adjustment. Haven't had a jam yet. Accuracy is acceptable with average groups about 7". Good luck.
    7 inch groups? At what distance?
    Tennessee

7 inch groups? At what distance?
    15 yards. The gun can probably do better. That is me using the "Weaver" stance, somewhere between rapid and slow fire. I'm not a real great shot with a pistol. Also, the trigger isn't the best, I'll have my local gunsmith fix that when I decide I can do without my gun for a couple weeks.

For now it's accurate enough for my needs (CCW).

I have a Springfield "loaded" double stack i bought a while back. I love it. Stick with a Springfield for an auto. I do have a Taurus 617SS .357 that has been good. Its a small 7shot .357 and have had no problems with its at all. I would not buy a Tarus auto

Default taurus bad rap

I am in the security business and I trust my life with my Taurus. My off the shelf 45, w/ nite sites has been 100% reliable. I have shot 600+ rounds thru this gun. It is more accurate than a P-14 limited I had. I carry 2 glock 30's when I ride, but I carry my Taurus all other times. I also have a raging bull in 454 that is a sweet gun. I owned a springfield and had nothing but problems with it. I sold it for a loss and would never hqve qnother. INHO

I don't think you can get a better equipped, more reliable or accurate 1911-type pistol than the Taurus PT1911 series for it's price range.

Disregard any bad sentiments regarding other Taurus models you may have had in the past and approach this pistol with an unbiased mind and try one.

I won't say anything else because I know the 1911 crowd is very devout, and rightly so, with their preferences. Just try one. I believe you'll be impressed.

If you buy a Taurus 1911 you are wasting your hard earned dollars.

Ditto Springfield

Default 45

I like taurus. how about a Colt? more $$ but it's a COLT

Colt makes an OK product, but their customer service SUCKS. Buy a Springfield, Kimber or some other well known name brand. Taurus has interesting ideas, but the execution is lacking in quality and reliability. You will probably get to use the lifetime warranty, maybe more than once.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    If you buy a Taurus 1911 you are wasting your hard earned dollars.

Ditto Springfield
    Do you sell Taurus or Springfield brand?

I don't think you can go wrong with either product. I own several Taurus Auto pistols and I've never experienced any problems. I just recently purchased a Springfield XD and it is good as well, have only shot this pistol once since it is new, but after the first experience I don't believe it will give me any problems. On the other hand, I have a Steyr pistol (40 S&W), and it will hard jam with cheap ammo. But if you shoot the good stuff, no problems. If you were to ask my wife, she would tell you to get a Ruger...simply put, she can hit the targets with the Rugers and not the others. Doesn't make any sense but it works for her. I believe you can get Lemons with any product, as in cars. Whatever you choose, just go have fun and enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast