Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the current king of wheelers?

Default What's the current king of wheelers?

Who has the most reliable wheeler?
    Thinking Arctic Cat, Kawasaki, or Yahmaha, or??

Who has got the best lockers?
    I kinda like the Kawasaki's lever engagement for the front. Yahmaha has a push button I think.

Easiest to repair when you break?
    Had an 07 Grizzley that got abused with inexperienced drivers, cheap tracks in rough country. Ball joints broke which broke the other a arm. By the end of the trip 3 of 4 drive axles had broke. Granted alot of this damage was caused by some inexperienced drivers. But the axles broke when I took over driving it. Maybe they had been stressed before, but I wasn't overly impressed. Not sure I like the electronic activated locker.

Lots of opinion on this from all but j will still give mine.

I like the cats for durability, sure they are heavier but that added weight is in the right places, like beefed up driveshafts.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

What's the current king of wheelers?
    out of THAT LIST??????????

i would have to say cat over kawasuckie or yamahahahaha
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Yamaha

I was raised on Hondas but its hard to beat yamaha lately. As for 2nd Kawasaki brute force. Im not a fan of cats because ive seen 4 with blown motors that were not abused. hillbilly

I know, I was raised on Honda 2,3, and 4 wheels and motocrossed with CR's. Grew up and raced with Cat sleds because I was friends with some of Cat's main R&D guys. Its hard for me to imagine sitting on a Kawi let alone owning one. All biases aside, just curious what the current best one is.

Default Cats

IMO cats are only popular here in Alaska because of their sleds. I bet yamaha out sells cats in lower 48 4to1 for good reasons. They do have **** good ground clearance.
    I wasnt a fan of kawasaki either until i rode a brute 650. my neighbor bought one and i gave him hell about it for awhile. He asked If i would like to take it for a spin. I was impressed and had to eat my words. He has beat the crap out of that wheeler and its never failed. Hillbilly

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

when i look for a new wheeler i look at the models that are 3-6 years old with 5000+ miles on them and the maintenance that has been done..

first all excluded from the list are belt drives.. though they will do okay the first few years they decline soon after and become maintenance issues.. a little dirt under the gasket and water gets in.. mud and other...

that leaves standard shift and Honda's automatic tranny that is still bullet proof.

granted not many really work a bike like i do, or those i hang with at least not for the extended periods of time..

IMO the biggest baddest new kid on the block may fit the bill of the day but over the long period they may cost you more then your ready for.

you will have to look at what you will be doing DAILY with it. cruising around the subdivisions and trails of the neighbor hood.. or rolling 30-40 miles a day of mud and goop, and brush?

are you towing? how much? my average trailer with just gear/supplies is 400-600lbs Manuel shift and brakes are a necessity for me to get down the hills and back up...

my bike run day in day out while we are out.. and all summer long. my oldest is 2004 with 4200 miles on it.. the 07 has 5700 miles on it.. ones a Honda the other is a Susi... couple issues last fall on the Honda.. but.. i have ONLY ever changed the oil in it.. until ball joint broke under heavy heavy loads.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Post search this site...lots of posts over the last year..use the names on this thread..

Quote Originally Posted by goosepilot View Post

Who has got the best lockers?
    I kinda like the Kawasaki's lever engagement for the front. Yahmaha has a push button I think.

Easiest to repair when you break?
    Had an 07 Grizzley that got abused with inexperienced drivers, cheap tracks in rough country. Ball joints broke which broke the other a arm. By the end of the trip 3 of 4 drive axles had broke. Granted alot of this damage was caused by some inexperienced drivers. But the axles broke when I took over driving it. Maybe they had been stressed before, but I wasn't overly impressed. """NOT sure I like the electronic activated locker."""
    ..IF U understand how they work its easy ...all there are is a manget...u push the botton it "mags up" and does the work for u...............want to see what wheelers are working...go to the repair pile at/in the dealers fix it yard...there is a 'reason" the atvs are in there..
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Ridden Yamahas, and Suzukis for years both very dependable. Bought a new King quad last fall, does'nt hurt that my wife works for the dealer.
    Paul

I've seen more Kawasaki's and Yamaha's being towed out of the woods than anything else.

Owned a couple of Suzuki's, a few Polaris's, one Honda, and one Arctic Cat.
    The Arctic Cat was my favorite followed closely by the King Quads. The only reason I liked the AC over the KQ was because of the massive racks on the AC.
    Tennessee

Belt drive vs. manual.... I love these discussions.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a belt drive! A well designed belt driven ATV can log thousands upon thousands of miles without a belt problem. Here is the problem, there are two major belt drive designs. The spin and grab design goes through belts much more so than the wet clutch design. I've owned both and there pro's and con's are obvious.

Spin and grab belt drives are very sweet if you are willing to change out springs and weights. This allows you to clutch for tire size, power mods, etc. And most importantly, you can regain most of your lost power when adding larger and more aggressive tires. I had a BF 750 with 28" MB's that would absolutely burn rubber with the right clutching. Have you ever seen an ATV float through powder? My BF did that! Once I found the sweet spot I rarely had to change the belt or worry about changing spacers in the secondary. Consequentially, most aren't willing to spend that kind of time turning a wrench and the belt drive can be more troublesome. Kawasaki's, some AC's, and Polaris' incorporate this system.

Wet clutches are nice if you are looking for a more trouble free belt drive. There's less belt slip, and the belt's last longer. You will never regain all your lost power from adding larger more aggressive tires, but these are more reliable. Also they definitely go through far less belts.

That's not to say a manual will not have problems. True manuals can have clutch problems or typical wear. Honda manuals can have sensor problems. Ever replace an angle sensor on a Honda? Or put the wrong oil in your Honda Rubicon? Or get water in crank with the Rubi or Rincon?

I currently own a Honda Rancher and a Suzuki KQ 700. Both have the same milage and the KQ has been by far less problematic. But most importantly what I love most about the belt drive is you are always in the right gear. There is no loss of power when changing gears while climbing hills, or in the mud, or whatever. Decide between HI and LOW for the task at hand and you have continuous control over power, there is no power delay between gears.

Out of all the ATVs I've owned, drove, and rode with. I've never ever seen a belt case seal problem. NEVER. In most cases, with all circumstances the same manual ATVs are not much better in deep water either.

I'm surprised you had problems with your Yamaha. It must be the added stress of the tracks. It's hard for me to imagine anyone being harder on a fourwheeler in terms of riding style than me, and I've got over 2300 miles on my 08 Grizzly 700 with not one problem.

I know Hondas are right up there for reliability, but they are behind the times in 4X4 ability.

Yamaha has the best auto tranny, and the best engine braking and the best locker - period.

I haven't even had to change brake pads yet.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default Grizzly 700

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I'm surprised you had problems with your Yamaha. ... I've got over 2300 miles on my 08 Grizzly 700 with not one problem.
    Yeah I love my 07 too; best ever. Just one complaint, and its relatively minor: its fairly common to have shifting problems (being able to shift) during the first few hundred miles of break in. (Google it.)

I just grinned and bared it (there's a lot to grin about while riding one of these) knowing it would go away and it did.

But really, asking who's the current king of wheelers is lots like the discussions here about the best caliber rifle or handgun, or brand of treestand or other gear; they're just evidence that we're in the middle of winter now and want funner things to think about than that.

Default Big boy vs the gas sippers

The last couple of years ATV makers have been coming out with bigger bigger bigger machines. And yes there is a place for the really big machines. But for my style of riding and my preferences Ill stick with my lowly yammy big bear 400. She doesn't go very fast, doesn't have too many bell and whistles. But it gets me there and back again and doesn't use too much gas in the process. Now that being said if a monster 700 cc mud slinging bog monster goes down a slop trail at full bore I mostly likely won't be able to follow it at the same clip and I may have to do some winching and cussing but I still get there. My machine is still light enough that I can pick up an end and move it out of a hole if I need to. Im not sure I could do that with one of the big boys. I like the push button locking front diff that comes on a lot of the new machines. I put a full-time locking diff in mine (04) that claims that its an "easy steer". Yeah it easy for king kong to steer but it takes some work for me. But when you need all 4 tires spinning there is nothing that will substitute. Now for my pick on the biggest baddest machine on the market...... Griz 700 is one bad azz machine.

Talking here's the "king"

on top of the world.. and yea,i looked around and did not see any other brand up there with me ...oh well

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    on top of the world.. and yea,i looked around and did not see any other brand up there with me ...oh well

you didn't even have to get it dirty to get there......
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Thumbs up drove in the lake!

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    you didn't even have to get it dirty to get there......
    fast and easy clean up!.besides dirt is afraid of the KING...the king has left the mtn top!!...u can all sit down now ....thank u thank u veery much.....

Check out the Feb. 2010 Dirt Wheels 4x4 Shootout...you can get an answer to your question there.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Yeah I love my 07 too; best ever. Just one complaint, and its relatively minor: its fairly common to have shifting problems (being able to shift) during the first few hundred miles of break in. (Google it.)

I just grinned and bared it (there's a lot to grin about while riding one of these) knowing it would go away and it did.
    I gotta agree with this. My '07 was tough shifting for the first few months. I guess they fixed it cuz my '09 shifts extremely easy!!!
    EricL

Default yeah I figgered they would fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by EricL View Post
    I gotta agree with this. My '07 was tough shifting for the first few months. I guess they fixed it cuz my '09 shifts extremely easy!!!
    Too many people disabled the safety interlock to fix that shifting problem - the interlock that prevents shifting while moving, for example, it keeps you from shifting into reverse while you're going forward at 60mph.

The instructions to do so were easily available online but I chose to wait the problem out instead of doing something dumb.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast