Thread: Hornady sst bullets

Default Hornady sst bullets

Has anyone used the hornady sst bullets to kill any big game, my question is what kind of results did you have? did the bullets retain most of their weight? did they mushroom out good? did they penatrate good? I have reloaded some 180 grain bullets for my 300 win mag and have good accuracy but have not had the opportunity to kill anything with them yet, any info would be greatfull.

My very limited experience with them on game (three deer) sezz they're competitive with the Speer Grand Slam, one of my favorite bullets. That's a heck of a compliment, too!

As with the GS though, they're cup and core bullets, and subject to over-expansion at very high impact velocities. I'd be a little twitchy about them coming apart inside 50 yards on heavy game with your 300, but as the range stretches a bit they really come into their own for reliable expansion, combined with good weight retention and penetration. For really long range shooting where tough premium stop expanding reliably, they'll shine.

I concur with BrownBear. I have found the SST's to provide very good accuracy and started using them some after being a fan of the standard Hornady interlocks. I found them to work good on deer size game when velocity wasn't too fast.

270WSM was too fast and caused violent expansion and huge exit hole on deer. Using 150 grain in -06 also caused too much damage IMO at ranges under 100 yards.

I have not had extensive experience with them, but from what I've seen they expand more rapidly and are more frangible than the standard interlock of same weight and caliber. This doesn't make sense to me, due to the SST supposedly an interlock with a plastic tip and boattail.

Myself I would not feel comfortable running the SST at 300 Win Mag speeds for hunting big game unless you could be sure of no close shots, and how can you ever be sure of that?

The SST is simply an interlock with a plastic tip. Very accurate but not good in a high velocity application or IMHO on game bigger than deer. If stuck on Hornady you could consider interbond which is almost the same but bonded. Practice with cheaper interlocks or sst and hunt with interbond.

The would likely be fine in something like 300 savage or a 6.5x55 where muzzle velocity is around 2600 but I wouldnt use them in a 300 mag.

Cheers

My bad. I read "SST" and was thinking Interbond in my comparison with the GS. I don't have any experience with the SST.

Quote Originally Posted by 35gibber View Post
    The SST is simply an interlock with a plastic tip. Very accurate but not good in a high velocity application or IMHO on game bigger than deer. If stuck on Hornady you could consider interbond which is almost the same but bonded. Practice with cheaper interlocks or sst and hunt with interbond.

The would likely be fine in something like 300 savage or a 6.5x55 where muzzle velocity is around 2600 but I wouldnt use them in a 300 mag.

Cheers
    Not to argue with you 35g, but the SST is actually a hollow point(poly-carbonate tip)/boattail/Interlock hybrid and will give more expansion and less penetration as a rule than the standard flat base Interlock. It has a thinner jacket than the Interlock and has proven to be very accurate. It's a great bullet for deer sized game and LR varminting, but I would be very hesitant to use the SST on larger animals. especially at magnum velocities.

I have a great deal of respect for Hornady bullets, but the .338 and smaller Interbonds are not for me. They maintain significant weight, but expansion is so dramatic that penetration is very limited; IME penetration is often less than SSTs of identical weight and caliber. On deer sized game Interbonds are fine, and are likely a better choice for high velocity impact than an SST, but they are not a significant step up in performance IME. I've not used Hornady's larger caliber Interbonds so I've no comment on them.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Not to argue with you 35g, but the SST is actually a hollow point(poly-carbonate tip)/boattail/Interlock hybrid and will give more expansion and less penetration as a rule than the standard flat base Interlock. It has a thinner jacket than the Interlock and has proven to be very accurate. It's a great bullet for deer sized game and LR varminting, but I would be very hesitant to use the SST on larger animals. especially at magnum velocities.

I have a great deal of respect for Hornady bullets, but the .338 and smaller Interbonds are not for me. They maintain significant weight, but expansion is so dramatic that penetration is very limited; IME penetration is often less than SSTs of identical weight and caliber. On deer sized game Interbonds are fine, and are likely a better choice for high velocity impact than an SST, but they are not a significant step up in performance IME. I've not used Hornady's larger caliber Interbonds so I've no comment on them.
    1 Cor 15:19 what you say backs up the field experience I have seen. Every deer I have shot or seen shot at high velocity with an SST showed dramatic expansion and less penetration and/or more meat damage than standard interlock of same caliber & weight.

Cor 15, no disagreement. I may have made a bit of a mistake with the construction, but the regular interlocks i use are Boat tail interlocks. Very accurate and my bullet of choice for punching paper as they are 25.99 for 100.

Regardless none of these bullets would be my choice for a high velocity application or large game.

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm bummed, I finally found a bullet that I got great accuracy with in my 300 wm. I guess I'll stay with Noslers for the big stuff.

Nah, don't be bummed. I'd still use it happily for long-shooting hunts in open country or across canyons. That's where the extra accuracy is needed anyway.

I just wanted to bring this back up because of a noteworthy experience I had the other night with a 95 Grain SST in a .243 Win. I'm pushing them out at 3125 fps.

I was hunting wild pigs just outside San Antonio, TX. I got an opportunity to kill a 250 lb boar at 30 yards. He was facing me when I shot and the bullet entered the side of his face, penetrated into the chest cavity, tore a hole into his heart, and mutilated a lung. Needless to say, I was quite impressed with the SST in a short range high velocity situation. They may not be the best huge game bullet, but for the medium critters they work great.