Thread: Anybody ever stay at Naknek River Camp?

Default Anybody ever stay at Naknek River Camp?

I'm looking for a trip on the Naknek in late June, anybody here ever stay at that camp?

Thanks,

L

If you're looking for an economical alternative to lodge-based fishing on the Naknek I would strongly suggest looking into accomodations at the King Salmon Inn and using Matt Price, a local guide of 14 years, and one hell of a good bartender and entertainer. His approach to catch-and-release trophy rainbow fishing is top-notch and somewhat philisophical.

check out pricesguideservice.com

or look into Bear Trail Lodge for another option.

while I've never fished with the folks at Naknek River Camp, I couldn't endorse a lodge or guide service that uses Boga Grips on trophy rainbows.

Naknek rainbows are a unique population of trout and deserve to be treated with the utmost respect and care, much like you would cradle a newborn baby. Fish with Matt for a day and you will appreciate his style.

Jocko:

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that as an alternative.

Koodoos to you're attitude on handling fish.

I'm looking at staying at the camp as a "do it yourselfer".... that would be food, lodging, a boat... no guide.

I really don't think I need a guide... I'm not egotistical enough to know that a day or so with a local guide wouldn't help but I can do just fine without... but fro $214 a day it includes a cabin, boat and food.....

Thanks,

L

Lazor,
    I grew up on the Naknek and would suggest a guide for the first day. There are many that you could hire and still stay at the Naknek River Camp. Especially if you are taking a boat from King Salmon up river to fish trout. Be up front for info on traveling the river. Good luck and if you have any other questions email me.

George

George:

I TOTALLY agree! If I'm spending the time and money to get there, good local, up to date information would be money worth spent for a day!!!

Thanks, and tight lines.

TL

Lazor,

I second George's recommendation. As a saltwater guide I can attest to the importance of local knowledge and your increased success that will go with it. Though as a fisherman, I can relate to the "do it yourself" approach and the thrill of discovery.

Feel free to ask any more questions if you have any.

and happy fishing! wish I could be there, too.

Default Naknek River Camp

Great place, guides and hosts.
    The variety of rivers that are accesible from their location makes it worthwhile.
    If you do the self guided option, you are pretty much stuck on the Naknek, which is not a bad deal, but last year was a high water year and the fish were pretty much spread out.
    In a situation like this a knowledgable local guide is invaluable unless of course, you know the river well. I know there a great guides in KS too !
    NRC has large jetboats that let you acess rivers on the other side of the lake such as Brooks, Margot and some lesser known smaller tribs. You wont have this option on the self guided option as you have your own boat.
    This worked out great for us last year due to the higher water on the Nak.
    We also flew out to a couple other rivers, the Kulik and Morraine. we didnt really have to, but for some in our group, this was their 1st time to Alaska and wanted to see it all !!
    I know this is a long rant, but NRC runs a top notch affordable camp. Is it Crystal Creek Lodge ? No !!, but it is clean, dry, the boats are good, the food fills you up, the variety of fishing has many options and and the Johnsons are great people.
    I,m going back again this year with 12 or so people. I,ve been out to Alaska 22 times and I will honestly say for the money, this trip cannot be beat. And for what it's worth, I never saw a boca in the camp.
    Email me or pm me if you would like any more specifics.
    brachy/

I've stayed at the Naknek River Camp on many occassions...going back year after year and bringing other friends and colleagues for some of the finest hosted/guiding fishing, for the money available. I highly recommend it as an EXCELLENT, economic choice. The guides are very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful and the fishing is hard to beat anywhere. If you are wanting to go in late June, the later the better as the sockeye tend to show up around the 23rd of the month.