Thread: Slides and negatives Scanner

Default Slides and negatives Scanner

I have boxes of slides and b&w & color negatives I want to convert to digital archives. Can anyone recommend a scanner to purchase to make this happen.

I've read numerous reviews on all types of scanners but can't get a consensus from the reviews.

Thanks

Default ..............

Bump......!

The Minolta Dimage scanners are easy to use-I used to have one but sold it on ebay (where you could probably find one cheap); below is a scan of a slide.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Thanks cdubbin.

I've got an HP and a Epson scanner. The HP scan photos well but does a poor job on text documents. The Epson does a good job on letters and other text items, but does a poor job on photos.
    These are older scanners.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

There is only one choice and you will not be disapointed one bit.

EPSON PHOTO PERFECTION - V500 PHOTO

I have scanned my slides and negatives many times often with poor results.

This new scanner is most awesome indeed. I guarantee you - you will not be disapointed.

I apologize for the delay in your 17 x 25 " prints arriving..

Our lives have been turned upside down !!

See blog)

for a more detailed version see : Page 26 - last post POST ANYTHING- ROCK - TREE -TOILET

Scanning film is a slow process if done semi-well. Assuming these are 35mm images, you don't want to use a flatbed scanner due to lack of real resolution. It would be different with larger film formats. Also, negs need some special consideration due to being a negative image with an orange mask, and greatly compressed contrast. To reduce the time required to a semi-manageable level you will want an auto feeder for the slides. Getting all this right will also cost a lot of money.

I have set up a slide duping system, where you use a digital camera and macro lens with a stable daylight colored light source. Quality is poor to fair unless you spend some serious money and effort on this.

A far better option for most people is to take them all to Costco, Sam's Club, etc. and have them do it for you. You can send them off to an out of state specialty business to do this, but my experience has been quite good with both Costco and Sam's, and they are inexpensive.

Congratulations David and thanks on the V500 info, I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik Imaje View Post
    There is only one choice and you will not be disapointed one bit.

EPSON PHOTO PERFECTION - V500 PHOTO

I have scanned my slides and negatives many times often with poor results.

This new scanner is most awesome indeed. I guarantee you - you will not be disapointed.

I apologize for the delay in your 17 x 25 " prints arriving..

Our lives have been turned upside down !!

See blog)

for a more detailed version see : Page 26 - last post POST ANYTHING- ROCK - TREE -TOILET

Thanks Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    Scanning film is a slow process if done semi-well. Assuming these are 35mm images, you don't want to use a flatbed scanner due to lack of real resolution. It would be different with larger film formats. Also, negs need some special consideration due to being a negative image with an orange mask, and greatly compressed contrast. To reduce the time required to a semi-manageable level you will want an auto feeder for the slides. Getting all this right will also cost a lot of money.

I have set up a slide duping system, where you use a digital camera and macro lens with a stable daylight colored light source. Quality is poor to fair unless you spend some serious money and effort on this.

A far better option for most people is to take them all to Costco, Sam's Club, etc. and have them do it for you. You can send them off to an out of state specialty business to do this, but my experience has been quite good with both Costco and Sam's, and they are inexpensive.

Default Nikon Coolscan 5000

I bought the Nikon about a year ago. Been thrilled with it.
    I didn't buy the slide feeder, as I only had about 500 slides.
    But it did come with the negative feeder, and I have thousands of negative strips. A strip of 5 will process in about 3-5 minutes... although if you want a commercial grade scan of a slide/negative the single image may take 3-5 minutes to scan.

I agree with Jim S about it being time consuming. If you have LOTS of negatives/slides to scan, you may wish to buy a quality scanner. In the long run it will be cheaper - that is if you can get get yourself on a schedule to regularly scan stuff.
    If it's not a huge amount, a commercial company may be the economical/time saving way to go. I have a more than average amount, and have been dilly-dallying around for over a year.

Good luck to you!