Thread: Marlin XS7???

Default Marlin XS7???

So I am considering of buying one of these little gems in .243 youth for my new predator gun.

6.25 pounds, controlled round feed and compact little package are what appeals to me besides the price of course. This is mainly due to cause lets face it. It is going to ride on my back in a backpack while snowmaching so lightweight would be nice. As would the small overal length of the gun. Tought about going Tikka, but it doesn't come in a youth gun and I'm hoping that my predator gun in .243 could also do double duty as a first center fire big game hunting rifle for my little ones when I plan of getting some of my own or even for my niece and nephew, hence the youth model.

Anyone have any experience with this rifle?? Not looking to spend over $400 just for the rifle. So it really comes down to the Stevens or th Marlin unless I find a good deal on a used gun.

Thanks for any input.

Also does anyone know where I can get my hands on these locally?

Been reading that if you put it up against the stevens, you wouldn't pick the m200 up again. The XS7 supposedly has a much better action, trigger, etc.

The youth model only has a shorter stock, and still boasts the 20" bbl (iirc)

If you pay $400 for an xs7, I will personally punch you because guys are pickin these up for less than 3 all day long. WWG sells the XL-7 in '06 for less than 3. They may be able to get the short action for near that price as well. I did make a call to Boonies and I believe they quoted me 3 or a little less out the door.

No lefty model but you cant beat that rifle for the price. Throw a burris FFII 3-9x40 and you've got a very inexpensive setup that could do you very well and you likely wouldn't mind it taking a dive here and there....

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Been reading that if you put it up against the stevens, you wouldn't pick the m200 up again. The XS7 supposedly has a much better action, trigger, etc.

The youth model only has a shorter stock, and still boasts the 20" bbl (iirc)

If you pay $400 for an xs7, I will personally punch you because guys are pickin these up for less than 3 all day long. WWG sells the XL-7 in '06 for less than 3. They may be able to get the short action for near that price as well. I did make a call to Boonies and I believe they quoted me 3 or a little less out the door.

No lefty model but you cant beat that rifle for the price. Throw a burris FFII 3-9x40 and you've got a very inexpensive setup that could do you very well and you likely wouldn't mind it taking a dive here and there....
    You sir are a key stroke away from getting an infraction for that personal attack!!!

Yeah I see them listed for $270 to $280, but if a Stevens was better I'd go that route. I've heard nothing but good about the Marlins so just trying to get some more info. The youth version is just the shorter stock which is fine. I don't mind a standard barrel and actually prefer it for most things. Being as its mainly for predators the shorter LOP wouldn't be a bad thing as I'll likely be sitting in the cold and have a bunch of gear on anyways so that wouldn't hurt.

Does WWG sell the XS7 as well or atleast can order a .243 XS7 youth?? I don't mind if its blued as I'll likely get the little thing duracoated anyways, I know someone that does a halfway decent job for a fair price.

WWG was the first call and they didn't have the shorty....thats why I called boonies. I'm sure Ken would order one up for you if you wanted one....

Better plan, get one in .243 and one in .308 and sell me that junker Model 7...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Better plan, get one in .243 and one in .308 and sell me that junker Model 7...
    Thats likely NOT going to happen as it no longer belongs to me.

What, did you get a divorce?

HAHA nope, but if I got rid of that Model 7 that wouldn't help my cause in keeping her around.

I can't for the life of me understand how they sell these Marlins for so little. All of the reviews on these guns are great and the 270 that I bought is no different. I got <MOA from the git go. I like it so well that I ordered another one in 243.

Since Marlins last bolt action offering failed to draw a crowd it's my guess that they are trying to get some of these out into the shooting world at an introductory price. The supply and demand thing will surely take effect and the price of these little rifles will jump.

I compared my XL7 270 to a Remington Mountain rifle in the same caliber that cost over twice what the XL7 cost and I wouldn't trade straight across!

Marlin's got a winner with this one!

I spend a little time over on the Marlin owner's forum, and all of their new bolt guns are getting some serious praise. One guy bought an XS7 243 and fired five rounds into one ragged hole with factory ammo at 75 yards first time out.

I'm in the market for a 243 for predators myself and the XS7 is at the top of my list. Hopefully they won't be sold out before I get home!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default get an xs7 in a 7mm-08

If you're looking at a Marlin xs7 you can get one in 7mm-08 It has more speed than a 308 but more energy than a .243
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Anyone seen an XL7 in -06 around Fairbanks? I'd put one on layaway! I really like the wood version, but don't know if it's worth what appears to be $188 more...

we were selling the long action camo ones (and still are, by the way) for $299 cash OTD.

My distrib has no short ones. I can order them but we probably wont stock them this year

Wild,

How much would it be to order a .243 youth XS7 from your vendor??

$329 or so, today

This is a little off topic but needs saying.

I now have 3 of the xs7/xl7's. There is no doubt in my mind that I could have saved $20-$30/gun if I had gone to Wally World.

We went for years without having a good gun shop in the area and Wally World and the like were the only option. Things have changed, we now have a gun shop in town and it is owned by one of us. He loves to hunt, shoot guns and visit with all who do the same. He can't match Walmart, K-mart and the rest on most prices because of the volume they buy across the board. However I will forever and always pay a little more to buy from a gun shop if the option is there. The local gun dealer is loyal to his customers and defends the 2nd amendment to the nth degree! Where as the commercial department stores are always one tax break away from selling you and I down the river! Do you think that the guy behind the counter cares whether the gun he just sold you even works or not? Not likely!

Pay the extra $20-$30!

Actually, we try to beat Wallyworld, just for spite

But then again, we sell new guns, not the returned rejects

But then again, we sell new guns, not the returned rejects[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post

I now have 3 of the xs7/xl7's. There is no doubt in my mind that I could have saved $20-$30/gun if I had gone to Wally World.

We went for years without having a good gun shop in the area and Wally World and the like were the only option. Things have changed, we now have a gun shop in town and it is owned by one of us. He loves to hunt, shoot guns and visit with all who do the same. He can't match Walmart, K-mart and the rest on most prices because of the volume they buy across the board. However I will forever and always pay a little more to buy from a gun shop if the option is there. The local gun dealer is loyal to his customers and defends the 2nd amendment to the nth degree! Where as the commercial department stores are always one tax break away from selling you and I down the river! Do you think that the guy behind the counter cares whether the gun he just sold you even works or not? Not likely!

Pay the extra $20-$30!
    I'm with you on this one... In July I became an Alaskan / ex-Californian. I will never forget going into A GUN STORE and hearing "that's too much gun for ANY game animal." I'm glad to be able to shop gun stores where the owners/employees are outdoors type folks. While I have to admit, I loved sending pictures to my friends of guns in the glass case at the grocery store, I will be buying from a local gunnery. :-)

Default Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post

Pay the extra $20-$30!
    I have a friend who owns a local gun store. He allows regulars to order ANY firearm or ammo from any wholesaler at 10&#37; over cost. I also do consulting work for him. I've been considering ordering a XS7 in 308 from him.
    He gets my buisness every time !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !