Thread: just woundering?

Cool just woundering?

do most long time alaskans sorta resent folks moven in on them?im from the south ,new neighbors have changed things alot around the house.we used to hunt any were not now .seems like people move here to get away from things,like the slow n easy life ,all they do is bring it with them .no treespassing ,no dogs on them no rabbit hunting coon hunting .gates locked unreal just athought .its bad here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well that is a difficult question... and it boils down to this...

moving does not get rid of prolems...

if folks move up here and bring with them the issues they had with the neighbors in the last home town they will have the same ones here..

Alaska is full of trails and other means of access that have grandfather rights to them.. understanding and excepting some things is part of the beast..

in all honesty i don't feel Alaskans resent anyone for moving here.. we resent those that move here, forcing their way on us...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

What Vince said plus many come for the welfare and dividend checks.They use and add nothing

Default New residents

What Vince and Amigo Will stated are very true. Overall, I think Alaska's urban centers are very tolerant or newcomers, if not welcoming. Anchorage is probably a poor example, but I remember reading that somewhere around 30% of Anchorage’s population changes every two years, so there is a large transient population and folks are generally friendly to new comers. Down in southeast, I look at Ketchikan and Juneau to almost be suburbs of Seattle. I know very few people in Ketchikan, who were born and raised in Alaska. Looking at the larger Alaskan communities I’m most familiar with, the only place I got a weird vibe was Petersburg which has a cliquish feel to it. It’s a great place, but I think it would take a long time to actually be looked upon as a regular community member.

What raises the hackles of most resident Alaskan’s is when newcomers try to milk the system and take advantage of all the benefits of residency and then give nothing back. Or they think they are here to “save us” from ourselves.

Nonetheless, Alaska is a very diverse place and there are communities you won’t be welcomed at unless you were born there, are a relative, or otherwise have a good reason to be there. We don’t talk about these places much on this forum. I’ve stayed for extended periods in two of the generally most well known “unfriendly” Alaskan communities and had good experiences. But, I was visiting to perform a service and would leave when the job was over. Also, I’m familiar with one rural community that has a specific corporate charter along with a vetting process of sorts which “new” residents have to be approved by the 12 member council before they are allowed to join.

Mountainboy, to sum it up, if you are a good neighbor, I think you will be welcomed most anywhere in Alaska you wish to reside with the caveat of a few exceptions.

Ya if you move to Wrangell or Petersburg when you get off the ferry yell Wrangell or Petersburg Sucks depending where you land to get your foot in the door. By the way Petersburg SUCKS

Petersburg does suck.

Sorry but I just can't help but ask, is "just woundering" what you do after you've been wounded? LOL

I think it depends on peoples outlook. I think you'll find real Alaskans have a live and let live attitude, it's when folks try and force their ideas on others that really get Alaskans riled up.

Part of the problem in any area is when the population increases, there is competition for the resources. When you've enjoyed your fishing hole, or hunting area, and over time it gets over-run, that just ain't fun.