View Poll Results: What is your favorite way to fish Kings on the Kenai?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Back bouncing

17 32.69%
  • Drifting

16 30.77%
  • Back trolling

19 36.54%

Thread: Favorite way to fish Kings on the Kenai poll

Default Favorite way to fish Kings on the Kenai poll

What is your favorite way to fish Kings on the Kenai and why?

back bouncing,not only my favorite way, but in my opinion the best way....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Back trolling is my usual way to fish....there always seems to be a jerk in the middle of drifts who backtrolls and the rest of us have to manuever around....also lose a lot gear to snags. Back bouncing is good if you can find a spot....early morning and late evening are about the only times to get into Big Eddy or the Beave which are the best back bouncing places on the river......so....I back troll most of the time as you can almost always fish the area you want, even on crowded days. Its pretty productive and the only one who really has to work is the boat driver-oh wait- thats me.....hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    back bouncing,not only my favorite way, but in my opinion the best way....
    The MAN has spoken!

When we goin' bouncin', bud?

Never underestimate the versatility of a good bouncer... and sheep man is the best that's ever set foot in my boat.

Just remember that any spot that's a good backtroll spot by its very nature will be a great backbounce spot as well. After all the jet diver was specifically invented for folks who don't have the technical wherewithal to consistently maintain bottom with a lead ball. A diver is just so much easier and brainless.... set it and forget it. With sufficient and consistent current, you will be in the zone without wearing your wrist/forearm out.

But what happens when the hole is too deep for your diver to reach? When there are current boils lifting your diver off the bottom? Fishing a soft seam next to stagnant frogwater? Or when the tide comes in to slow the current? All of these scenarios are the death-knell of the jet diver.... you ain't fishin'.

An appropriately-sized lead ball in skilled hands will overcome each and every one of these challenging scenarios..... and put fish in the boat. Another plus is that backbouncing works whether the boat is travelling downriver, upriver or sideways. There is no more versatile way to keep your goods in the zone.... but it does take effort and skill.

For someone who fishes newbies, drifting is the most brainless way to keep your crew in the zone. Backtrolling takes a bit more effort and an attentive eye, but if your folks can recognize a steepening line angle, that's half the battle. Backbouncing requires the most skill to maintain constant contact with the bottom, but it is well worth the effort of learning how to do.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Another Opinion

My favorite way to fish the Kenai River is power trolling. This in not back-trolling which is a fine way to go if you have a current. This is a method we use in the lower river after the tide has come in and you lose the drift. Power is then used to troll up or down the river and the best part of this is that 98% of the other boats have left the lower river and have run back upriver to find enough current for either a drift or to back-troll. You then have the river pretty much to yourselves and if you study river entry of kings based on sonar counts you'll find that a fairly high percentage of the run is still below the counter after the tide goes slack. This is an especially effective method of fishing the lower river on the smaller high tides. You can have luck trolling salmon eggs, herring, sardines, or large spinners. At high slack you don't have to keep your bait on the bottom as the kings distribute throughout the water column. You can troll with weights or divers. I try to cover the various depths, but will always have at least one line just off the bottom.

Back Bouncing isn't necessarily the method I use most often, but it is certainly my favorite way to catch Kings without a doubt. Something about getting to feel the bite, waiting for just the right moment, then setting the hook with the fish virtually underneath the boat and having it scream off in whichever particular direction it chooses... love it.

Thanks for adding power trolling to the mix Joe... I have caught a few fish this way, but I'm not quite confident enough in the method yet to do it consistently... I'll keep working at it. Thanks for the info
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

My favorite way to catch a king is whatever way it takes to have a "rod go off". On a typical Kenai River King fishing day (with bait) I will try backtrolling, drifting, backbouncing, and power trolling. All four have their moments but I guess that I would have to give the edge to drifting as there is something to be said about drifting down the Kenai feeling every nick and jolt of the bottom and then having the rod double over while you are holding it in your hand. I can almost picture it now...

Default Beer

I dont like to put up with all the madness involved on the kenai during king season.
    If I'm forced to I tend to have a cold beer in 1 hand and holding a rod back bouncing in the other hand.

Put me on the saltwater and I'm happy as a clam.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default Back Bouncer

Theres nothing better than setting the old meat grabber on a Monday while your bouncing your bait off the bottom. I like the ones that are almost strait down below the boat. Its my favorite way to fish. We use the planners if the folks cant back bounce.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

no spot for snagging?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I am usually all about back bouncing, but that last king I caught was such a blast! Dip netting a king! It's in the running for my new favorite method...

i like to catch them by hand ....

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by chinookee2004 View Post
    Theres nothing better than setting the old meat grabber on a Monday while your bouncing your bait off the bottom. I like the ones that are almost strait down below the boat. Its my favorite way to fish. We use the planners if the folks cant back bounce.

I like Monday's on the bounce, nothing better then a hook-up so close to the boat it vibrates. sneaking up on them is fun......

Boy do I have some good bouncin' memories from the big river...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Coupla more...
    The KeenEye MD

Default My Favorite Method for King Fishing the Kenai

Well, in these modern times I will have to go with the back-bouncing method.

There was one method I always wanted to try, but it predates my 35+ years in Alaska. An old guy once told me that nothing beats the thrill of your first king on a pitchfork. Think about it.

Sterlingchuck
    Kenai River Fisherman

Default Drifting

Drifting
    Bouncing
    Trolling