Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Help!

Default Please Help!

Hello to everyone!

I'm a soldier who is anxiously awaiting my return to Fort Richardson from Afghanistan. I've been stationed in AK for two years now, and I like it so much that I decided to re-enlist just to stay. I can't wait to get back and start the summer fishing season. I have also been researching hunting both large and small game in Alaska. My intentions for starting this thread are to gain information about hunting in Unit 14C, which comprises the Anchorage/Eagle river area, as well as the Fort Richardson area. Alaska is so big, and there are so many different management areas each with it's own specific regs, that I am finding it very confusing to figure out what I can and can't hunt in the areas close to where I live. Not to mention what means I can use to hunt. I mainly want to stick close to Fort Rich, and am interested in small game, predators, and black bear hunting. Possibly moose hunting as when the season rolls around as well.

If anyone would like to share their hunting experiances with me, and give me some advice as how to get started hunting in the areas around me, I would greatly appreciate it. Has anyone had any luck hunting the arctic valley area for cayotes, and small game? What about bear? Is the eagle river management area a good place to start?

I plan on getting more info about all of this as soon as I get back because I think I can catch the tail end of the hunting season. I am just trying to learn everything I can before I get there.

Thanks for you responses!

The first thing you should do is download the hunting regs on the AF&G website. They can be intimidating at first, but read them closely and you will find out what you want to know.

Small game is a good place to start. There's plenty of bunnies and grouse not far from Ft. Rich. I know quite a few soldiers in our unit (I'm guessing you're 4/25) who are big into hunting and fishing. Ask around and I'm sure you can find some guys who'd be happy to take ya along.

I am planning to spend as much time in the woods as I can myself when we get back. Shoot me a PM if you want to talk more about the area or even plan a hunt.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Thanks AK soldier.

You're correct. I'm with the 509th, which is 4-25. We should be back in AK by early march, which is going to be towards the end of the hunting season. From what I understand I can still get some small game/bear hunting in though.

I have been staring at the ADF&G website for a couple of hours now, and I think I have a general idea of what's going on. I am still confused about the boundaries of different management areas around fort rich. I am sure a chat with the conservation officer that patrols the base will help to clear things up.

As far as getting in touch with you to chat, and or plan a hunt: you can count on it. I can't wait. I am going crazy over here sitting around on tower guard, or wandering around on patrols daydreaming about going hunting in AK, and about salmon tugging on the end of my line. Time just won't go by fast enough for me to get back.

Thanks again, and I'll be sure to stay in touch with you! What unit are you with? Are you deployed with our brigade right now too?

Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    Thanks AK soldier.

You're correct. I'm with the 509th, which is 4-25. We should be back in AK by early march, which is going to be towards the end of the hunting season. From what I understand I can still get some small game/bear hunting in though.

I have been staring at the ADF&G website for a couple of hours now, and I think I have a general idea of what's going on. I am still confused about the boundaries of different management areas around fort rich. I am sure a chat with the conservation officer that patrols the base will help to clear things up.

As far as getting in touch with you to chat, and or plan a hunt: you can count on it. I can't wait. I am going crazy over here sitting around on tower guard, or wandering around on patrols daydreaming about going hunting in AK, and about salmon tugging on the end of my line. Time just won't go by fast enough for me to get back.

Thanks again, and I'll be sure to stay in touch with you! What unit are you with? Are you deployed with our brigade right now too?

Oh I was about to give you some info until you said you were in the 509th... I only give info out to the Cavalry sorry...

I'm in 725. Feel free to ask anything. I'm no expert, but I'll share what I know and point ya in the right direction if I don't. I am deployed with ya, can't wait to get home.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default Sthrcave

A big thank you for your service.
    Although you make think things are boring right now, everyone has a job to do and contribute to the total security effort.
    May you be safe and return soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I'm in 725. Feel free to ask anything. I'm no expert, but I'll share what I know and point ya in the right direction if I don't. I am deployed with ya, can't wait to get home.
    Counting down the days huh?

I have gotten some really nice trout out of some of the lakes on post, and would be happy to trade some fishing knowledge for hunting knowledge.
    Most of my friends don't really understand how lucky they are to be in a place like fort rich. I have a hard time getting them outside to do anything, so someone to go fishing/hunting with would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Oh I was about to give you some info until you said you were in the 509th... I only give info out to the Cavalry sorry...

We're all on the same team.

Smile Shhhhhh.....PM's only please.

Just a suggestion, but IMO it would be unwise for people to openly give suggestions for hunting in 14C over this public internet site. PLEASE, don't do it, PM this man instead. Here he is serving his country in a hostile environment, dreaming of returning to the Greatland to do some hunting within a relatively small radius of the most populated area of the entire state. In our sincere efforts to help him, we'll ruin it for him and others. He could come back to find the recommended places devoid of game and full of people.

I personally remember this moment in time, when I was in the jungles of Viet Nam, counting days and thinking about the world. Just get back here safely...all of you, and enjoy a life-time in our/your wonderful state.

Doc

Just wanted to say thank you to all of the military personal serving or who have served our country, may god keep you safe and bless you with full freezers of wild game.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

it would help to know that of your two years duty time here. how much time do you have on the ground here? explaining local resources and land marks can be difficult at times.. i sat with a young man a few weeks ago.. who in the last two year had only 3 months in Ft wainwright. and had yet to even be to north pole... so it was a little difficult with out pulling out maps and showing him first hand what was where due to his limited local knowledge.

14 c is very difficult to learn the ropes in prolly one of the hardest in the state.. Ft rich does have some excellent opportunities to learn on as well..

good luck... get home safe and get one of these guys to show you around down that way.. if you get up north here... gimme a yell
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

sthrcav

There is also some great hunting right there on Ft. Richardson. Moose is a draw and unless you just signed up for it end of Dec, your limited to small game. Small game hunting on Ft. Rich is good and easy access for you. The conservation office is great. Guy that heads it is David Battle. Don't have his number right now and I tried to get it on the Ft. Rich military site but no luck and I can't get anyone to answer the Ft. Rich information line. Anyways, he is your man. He's a civilian but loves the soldier and hunting. They can give you a map or you can get a military topo map (even better) to see the boundries and access gates. Ft. Greely my old stomping grounds from the mid 80's also has some awesome small/large game.

PM sent.

Doc

Thanks for all of your replies. I'm really glad there are folks out there willing to share what they know with someone new to hunting Alaska.
    I grew up roaming the hills of TN with my .22, then later a shotgun, or 30-30, and am no stranger to hunting. I have to admit that hunting AK is sort of intimidating. There are different regs for everywhere you want to go, and the issue of what land is huntable is still looming. Everyone's responses has helped to set my mind at ease. I just re-upped to stay in AK for another life cycle, so I'll have 6 years there (4 on the ground) before I have to PCS.

Thanks again to everyone.

When you get here and start to get an understanding of the area, you'll likely find that you don't want to limit yourself to 14C. There are some great bear hunting options (among other big and small game) in Units 7, 13, 14A, 15, and 16 - all of which are within a reasonable drive if you've got a weekend or more to hunt (some can be done in a day).

When you get home, send me a PM and we'll go get a coffee (or beer) and go over some maps. I'd be happy to point you in a few directions to get started. If our schedules work out, I'd be happy to take you out as well.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

sthrcave,

If you're on OE, come to the Fox motor pool, we'll talk. Ask for Chief.

Ralph

I'd take Ralph up on that - I went on a hunting trip with him and our boys in August when we were home on leave. He's a great guy, an experienced hunter and will help you pass the time dreaming of hunting trips back home.

But - don't believe a word he says about my 9-year-old outshooting me.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    But - don't believe a word he says about my 9-year-old outshooting me.
    AKSoldier, don't worry, I'd NEVER tell anyone that he outshot you, (and me both) I am pretty happy for his perfect record of shots to kills, I'm hoping he maintains that record for a long time.

Yep - he's pulled the trigger three times, and bagged three critters. I guess I know who to send out in the woods when the freezer gets low.

sthrcave - you might want to reconsider hunting with Ralph and I and our boys if you don't like getting showed up by a kid.

Sounds great Ralph. I'm not far from OE. We're out at Zerok. It's a terrible place, but it's home. Some of your boys from the Fox motor pool are out here as well.

I would love to get the opportunity to be out shot by a kid! He'd have to be a darn good shot though, and it sounds like he is.

I am always down for beer, and coffee too. Sounds like a great plan. I am going to try to add you guys to my friends list. I'm pretty new to this site, but I am sure I can figure it out if this site lets you keep a friends list.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast