Thread: Tankless propane water heater

Default Tankless propane water heater

Have any of you used a propane tankless water heater to put a shower in your head? (somehow that doesnt sound right...) and if so how happy have you been with the setup?

My head is outside the main cabin so I feel comfortable using propane, and I'll have a propane bottle anyway for the outside grill.

I found a guy here in Alaska via ebay that sells 88000 btu heaters, I figure that should heat the 45-55 degree supply water to shower temperatures with no problem.

Thanks!
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i used one in the cabin for a long time..

most tank less heaters require 3-7 GPM for best results...

most shower head by fed standard allow 2.5 GPM flow... so the water never quite got hot enough...

we remedied this by cracking the hot water in the sink at the same time as the shower...

granted that was the largest Bosch unit made and not likely a suitable one for your craft...

however that is the primary cause of dissatisfaction regarding tank less water heaters is lack of GOOD hot water... the shower head does not allow it to perform correctly...

food for thought hope that helps..

Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Sprinkler head vs shower head...

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i used one in the cabin for a long time..

most tank less heaters require 3-7 GPM for best results...

most shower head by fed standard allow 2.5 GPM flow... so the water never quite got hot enough...

we remedied this by cracking the hot water in the sink at the same time as the shower...

granted that was the largest Bosch unit made and not likely a suitable one for your craft...

however that is the primary cause of dissatisfaction regarding tank less water heaters is lack of GOOD hot water... the shower head does not allow it to perform correctly...

food for thought hope that helps..

Vince
    Maybe try a sprinkler head from a fire-protection system, like in a hotel room, or a sprinkler head for a greenhouse or a watering wand that hooks on a hose, these would not have a flow restrictor...

I use one of those Zodi propane powered shower set ups on my boat. You can get one in the camping dept in walmart for about $120.00 and the good thing about them is you can take it with you on a hunting/camping trip because they are self contained.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

hap

one flow restrictor + one drill bit = any size orifice desired

I have a large tank heater "powered" by waste heat from my starboard main (diesel). The extra 10 gallon capacity is not a bad thing on long trips and wasting water to get the shower hotter seems expensive in the long run...
    art

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I use one of those Zodi propane powered shower set ups on my boat. You can get one in the camping dept in walmart for about $120.00 and the good thing about them is you can take it with you on a hunting/camping trip because they are self contained.
    I bought the Zodi shower for my last trip to POW Island this last summer it worked great for 10 minutes then the pump went out. We were dry camping for 2 weeks we ended up finding a pace to shower in town each day what a pain.

I took it apart to try and fix it so we could use it the pump empellar is a slip fit on to the motor shaft so when the water gets hot it expands and starts to slip then wollers out the fit between the shaft and the empellar.

If you buy one I would take it apart grind a small flat spot on the shaft and add some type of epoxy to it so hopefully this does not happen. My self I am going to build one from scratch that has a better pump and use the heat source from a stove or crab cooker.

I called the factory while on the Island and the guy told my the pumps where not great and made in China. I gave him an ear full about a nice product made cheap by a crappy little pump they should have charged another $20 and put a decent pump on it.

I took the POS back to Wally World and got my money back when I got home.