Thread: 4 wheeler frustrations

Default 4 wheeler frustrations

After much begging/pleading/swearing and batering I finally got a day to go out and do something besides watch kids! A couple of buddies and I were going to go out and ride/rabbit hunt jim creek area. Dug the wheelr out and loaded it up the night before, running just fine.

Get to jim creek this morning and my darn thottle cable stuck full open. Machine wouldn't start, flooded. I sent them all out ridding and fiddled with the darn thing for an hour, nothing, just wasn't going to start. I didn't have a small enough screw driver to get the throttle cover plate off. Had to call my buddy to come get me while the rest of them rode. Killed the battery tryign to start the darn thing.

Hitched a ride to my buddies house, got there and one pull on the recoil rope, started right up. I fished some ice out of the throttle but the cable is still sticking. How in the heck do you get the moisture out of the throttle cable.

Beautiful day and I"m stuck messing with the machine instead of enjoying it. I swear god invented 4 wheelrs to test my patients, come to think of it thats probably why he invented wives and children too!!

i've got the same issue with my ranger...I'm just going to change out the cable...I did manage to get some oil in the cable to limp me by until I get off my butt and change the cable...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Use some Corrision X

i have the same problem..,. my throttle cable is frozen and cant ride till i get it fixed..,. arrgh

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I've never had that problem myself, but if it were me i'd pull the cable off and take it inside where the heat will help get rid of the moisture, then lube it good with WD 40 or some other water-displacing agent. Then put it back on and see if it solves the problem.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I would use a hair drier to heat the cable and a vacuum cleaner to suck out the water and suck in WD 40. An air hose will also work. Be sure and check the cable at least once a week to make sure it working correctly.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

LOL there is an easy fix to iced throttles...

after many years of steaming, snow riding, river riding and temps dropping.. 1.99 bottle of heat will cure all those issues.

warm the cable back up dismantle one end of it and tip some heat down it... and work the cable, 99.99999999999% of the time the ice is in the first few inches.. the methanol in the heat will help remove the water skim that is immediately there.. you would be surprised what a single drop of water can do in a cable..

good luck guys!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

speaking of heat... any of you guys that garage your wheeler.. and take them out to play in the winter should add heat to the gas to remove the condensation that occurs when you bring it back in... your carbs and fuel vents will thank you for it not.... to mention freeze ups on the trail. sleds should use alcohol not methanol..( red bottle not yellow)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

We stopped the frozen throttle thing by simply not putting the machines in the garage any more. The next step was wrapping the handle bars in a garbage sack when they were parked just in case we got one of those winter rains. End of issues for us.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default garage??

If I put my wheeler in the garage it would never start again just to get back at me for all the cold nights its spent out under a tarp. Ive never had a problem myself, but I agree heat in the red bottle goes in each of my machines to prevent condensation.

They make a special tool just for forcing lubricant in throttle cables. The tool I have uses aerosol type lubricant dispensed with the little red tube. They work very well, I have never had a cable ice up.

Yep, I have one of these in my tool box. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ble-Luber.aspx Works good, but you don't want to use it on snowmobile throttle cables as it fills up the "splitter" for the two carbs with lube that gets gunky over time. I have used it with aerosol alcohol lock deicer with good results in the past. Haven't needed it with my new ATV's yet.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem