Thread: Anybody ever stay at Naknek River Camp?

Default Anybody ever stay at Naknek River Camp?

I'm headed north in late June and was wondering about their operation. Obviously I have been to their web page and that's about it.

Thanks,

TL

the guy who owns NRC lives in michigan near the pere marquete river during off season. The fly shop in there (Baldwin Bait & Tackle) goes up to the camp every summer with a bunch of guys. Call or email steve @ BBT and he will give you all the scoop on the place. I want to make it there someday, good luck

Default Never however

I have floated that section several times always a hoot! I think I must be one of the only fools to canoe it people use to look at us and give us the WTH look.

Can't speak on the operation but your fishing will be fine that time of year.

I will throw out another option, one that would take you to the famous Kvichak River. George Riddle owns and operates this do it yourself operation. He is a forum member as well and can be contacted via PM. Click "community" up top and locate his name. Link to his website below...

http://www.blueberryislandlodge.com/

George was featured on "Seasons on the fly" recently. Take a look below for some video. He was featured in the "Kvichak Part III" episode and that can be found below under "Recent Adventures" if the link I am attaching doesn't take you directly to the 7 minute video clip....

http://www.seasonsonthefly.com/index.htm

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

stayed there last fall and have to say for the price u can't beat it.

since i used the guide the river and know it well I did the do it yourself option 1500 pp which includes all meals as well as a boat and gas.

Commando:

I've booked the do-it-yourself trip starting June 19th. Since you've guided in that neck of the woods, could get give me a list of what flies you'd tie up for the river that time of the year????

Thanks,

L

id tie up a lot of smolt and leech patterns.

for smolt i really like some sort of epoxy patter with eyes as well as floating pencil poppers. Honestly though if fish are actively feeding on smolt (youll know because of all the diving birds and fish boils saltwater style) then anything resembling a small fish will be devoured in a boil.

as far as leeches nothing to fancy i would tie a lot of bunny flies especially articulated, cone or bead head woolybuggers, in natural colors (black, olive, brown etc...) and flesh colors. Make sure to tie a lot of sizes as if fish get picky a lot of times it's better to go small.

my favorite fly is a simple articulated bunny fly. Front has lead eyes and is all black rabbit fur the back is palmered black rabbit fur with a chartruese marabou tale. Simple but deadly (on a further note my favorite color combo that time of year is mostly black with some chartruese)

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak Commando View Post
    id tie up a lot of smolt and leech patterns.

for smolt i really like some sort of epoxy patter with eyes as well as floating pencil poppers. Honestly though if fish are actively feeding on smolt (youll know because of all the diving birds and fish boils saltwater style) then anything resembling a small fish will be devoured in a boil.

as far as leeches nothing to fancy i would tie a lot of bunny flies especially articulated, cone or bead head woolybuggers, in natural colors (black, olive, brown etc...) and flesh colors. Make sure to tie a lot of sizes as if fish get picky a lot of times it's better to go small.

my favorite fly is a simple articulated bunny fly. Front has lead eyes and is all black rabbit fur the back is palmered black rabbit fur with a chartruese marabou tale. Simple but deadly (on a further note my favorite color combo that time of year is mostly black with some chartruese)
    KC:

Thanks a bunch, I've been tying up some MOAL string leaches lately that should fit the bill.... any ideas for kings/sockeye?

L

Default And

I do hate to go there but PESL works great as well. I also use to toss Polar Shrimp size 2 at them as well and did decent.

You will also have some great Grayling fishing on the surface not to mention bows between Lake Camp and Rapids Camp so bring a good selection of High Vis type Caddis and Royal Coachman or Humpys size 10-12 work well.

Have fun! Remember it is not that your camera lens is dirty it is the bugs between you and your camera that are in the photo :-)

Tight Lines

BMR