Thread: Petersburg or Ketchikan in July/August?

Default Petersburg or Ketchikan in July/August?

This summer, I'll be heading back up to SE AK with some friends for the second time. Last time we were up there, we spent a week at Island Point Lodge out of Petersburg and had a good time. We were there in mid-July and had good luck on halibut mostly, but had a good day on Kah Sheets with everyone catching their fair share of sockeye.

This time around, I want to try out one of the forest service cabins and I was wondering if anyone had some advice on the best cabin in terms of access to the most fishing opportunities (fresh and salt).

I've been researching the different cabins here -

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/cabins/cabinlist.shtml

The two I'm looking at right now are the Kah Sheets cabin and the Fish Creek cabin in Ketchikan. I'm familiar with the fishing holes at Kah Sheets and know where to pick up halibut around there as well so I have a certain level of comfort although I'd like to try something new if I can get some solid information and have confidence that we'll be in the right place at the right time.

Any thoughts on these two locations during the last week of July and/or first week of August? Other cabins that might be better?

Also, I would prefer to rent a boat and access the cabins that way so we have the ability to fish saltwater. Would this be possible, and if so, where could we rent the boat?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Default Clover Pass Resort

This lodge in KTN has Hewescraft 20-footer to rent...

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Thanks for the info! That looks like a good deal. They even have it fully equipped with electronics and outriggers.

I also found this place -

http://latitude56.com/camping/outfit.html#prices

They rent gear for the cabins so you don't have to pack your own from home and they also rent skiffs for $110 a day and will transport your group, your gear, and the rental skiff out to the cabin by boat. Anyone ever use these guys before?

Also, any info on the cabin locations I mentioned and best dates would be much appreciated

Thanks guys!

Default petersburg kah sheets

I stayed at kah sheets bay cabin first week in August in 2008. Fishing was awesome everyday. We did both fresh and salt water fishing, there were three of us. It was absolutely the best fishing ever. The tide was a killer 16-17 ft. Email me at theswampyacres@aol.com and i will give you more info and details Good Luck Rick!

There are at least a couple places in petersburg that rent boats: Doyles, and a place Scandia house(?) or something like that. Many groups rent boats. The only thing I can say about Kah sheets is that there is alot of sedimentation in the bay so you'd have to anchor up some distance away from the cabin and walk or take an inflatable of some kind. Some of the other cabins might have more convenient anchorages with tidal fluctuation, but you'd be better off asking the local boat rental people about that, and the fishing.

Yes - I have heard of that AWO outfit in ketch and others like it; I used one of them (can't remember who).

Default Boats in Petersburg

There's a little change in the boat rentals in Petersburg. My dad owns Doyle's Boat Rentals and has sold a majority of his business to another outfit Jensen's Boat Rentals. Jensen's is using the same 800 number my dad used to have 800-442-4010. From what I know of John, he's a quality guy and will offer good service. While my dad is still doing limited boat rentals he's not taking new clients this year.

I'll recommend the same to you that I did to newman, I would look at the Beecher's Pass cabin or the Breiland Slough cabin. Both are in the Duncan canal area but you aren't as limited by the tide. And you can still have access to Kah Sheets. Kah Sheets is one of my favorite places in SE Alaska. Some of my best memories are from that creek, including my first coho on a Zebco Push-button reel.

Newman,

It's good to see you around. I hope the holiday's treated you well. When's your next AK adventure?

PM sent to you.

Be sure to check out the State cabins as well... they don't show on the Federal website, and there are many more great opportunities...

Personally, I'm partial to Frederick Sound, but I'd rather stay on the lighthouse than in a cabin any day!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post

I know that some locations that rent for saltwater use don't allow overnight usage. Not sure of this place in KTN, but I know at least one over there limits boating hours from 7-5 or something along those lines...Good luck...

I don't know Ketchican fishing. John Jensen rents boats in Petersburg. We're staying at Kah Sheets Bay Cabin September 8,9,10. Where did you fish for halibut in that area? Can you be very specific?

I've stayed at Beecher Pass. You'll find your boat high and dry at low tide. If you can slide it out with several people, you can be a lot more mobile. Where exactly did you fish for halibut in the Kah Sheets Bay area? I'm staying at Kah Sheets Bay Cabin the 2nd week in September this year.