Thread: Marlin 1894 Aperture Sights

Default Marlin 1894 Aperture Sights

I've got a Marlin 1894CSS (the .357 variant in stainless) that I love shooting. Light .38 specials for the range (cheap!) or small game up to more potent .357s for larger game... Very versatile, fairly cheap to feed, and very handy for hiking in the brush. Partners great with a companion revolver.

The #1 thing I dislike about this rifle, however, are the stock buckhorn sights. They are slow for target acquisition and seem to have difficulty holding good windage. I thought about a 4x scope but it doesn't seem warranted given that 75% of the shooting with this rifle is inside 50 yards and almost all is within 100 yards. I also thought about a reflex sight but don't want to deal with the bulk or fragility on what's intended to be a lightweight, handy brush rifle.

So, I'm looking at getting iron aperture sights put onto it. I'm comfortable with this type of sights (my issue M16 after all has them...) and they seem quite versatile for work within 100 yards. I want something rugged for field work, fast to acquire targets, and reasonable accurate within 100 yards. I've found a few options (all of which I'm sure WWG can install):

First, does this seem like the right direction to go or am I missing another sight option?

Second, does anyone have any thoughts on different aperture sight options, or personal experiences/reviews?

Hard to beat the Williams though probably not as strong as the others. I have started useing these and they work great.Get the long one

I put Williams peeps on both of my 94's (25-20 and 32-20) the first day I bought them. I'm not using these things in combat, and they're plenty tough for all my hunting needs. I wouldn't have any sight other than a peep on either rifle.

One thing to know, at least for my tastes, you need to change to a little lower front sight while you're at it. Otherwise the peep is raised awfully high by the time you're sighted in.

One "trick"- rather than sighting in for the point of impact to be right in the middle of the bead, sight in to land right at the top of the bead. That way you can shoot really small targets or long range without obscuring your target beneath the front bead. I use it more or less like a blade front. Good for smacking bunny heads to 50 yards and beyond, but if you sight in for the center of the bead, the whole rabbit is hidden behind the bead at 50 yards.

the williams and (older) lyman, marbles sights are of excellent quality and will undoubtedly work for you. however, the new marlins are not tapped and threaded for these sights these days.

my preference is the skinner or xs sights, as they are rugged and offer an excellent sight picture. the improvement may surprise you.

your choice of .35 cal rifle is a good one! at 100yds (or less) the .357 with hard cast bullets offers ballistics similar to, or better than the 30-30 winchester.
    Last edited by pinehavensredrocket; 01-03-2010 at 04:51. Reason: more data
    happy trails.

In an easy chair in Cyberspace

Bring it on by (dont forget your Board discount if you ask for me), we will set you up