Thread: 375 h&h vs 340 weatherby

Default 375 h&h vs 340 weatherby

in a heart lung shot wuld the 340 kill faster do to a faster bullet or 375 to the bigger diamater. and with bullet wuld be better the swift a frame or nosler partition i find the swift a frame to be a tough bullet so mabe the partition is better?

Quote Originally Posted by luisss View Post
    in a heart lung shot wuld the 340 kill faster do to a faster bullet or 375 to the bigger diamater. and with bullet wuld be better the swift a frame or nosler partition i find the swift a frame to be a tough bullet so mabe the partition is better?
    A well placed shot from either cartridge is very effective on NA game. I prefer NP, but the A-Frame is also a fine bullet. I do not think either cartridge is better than the other overall, but there are differences. As a rule the 375 uses heavier bullets and the 340 has a flatter trajectory. I use each of them according to their strengths and find they both excel for their given purposes.

Maybe a 257 Weatherby would kill even faster due to its speed. The smaller/faster,bigger/slower debate will never end and both can find proof for thier choice on paper.The 375H&H will allow you to hunt anything in Africa though and the 340wby won't.

I appreciate your honest question, although the answer is multi-faceted. The simple answer is that the animal is dead with both scenarios. A good shot is a good shot. Which kills faster? How much faster does it need to drop the animal in order to be significantly better?

Both of your choices are real heavy hammers on game, and they are in the same ballistic ball-park. Therefore, I suspect that the bullet size/wt. Vs. velocity differential between these two choices is functionally miniscule. Then there's the whole discussion of bullet properties, i.e., sectional density, velocity on impact, expansion Vs. penetration, etc.

Amigo Will said it very well that the debate over smaller/faster Vs. bigger/slower has been going on for a long time with no end in sight. I've shot several black bears with a 30-06 (180grn bullets), as well as one with a .257 WBY (100grn bullet). They're all dead and cleanly taken. However, those are spring hunts. In the fall, I always take my .375H&H.

Doc
    NRA Life/Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Maybe a 257 Weatherby would kill even faster due to its speed. The smaller/faster,bigger/slower debate will never end and both can find proof for thier choice on paper.The 375H&H will allow you to hunt anything in Africa though and the 340wby won't.

the diference between the 257 and the 340 is that the 340 throws 250gr bullet so better penetration

the diference between the 257 and the 340 is that the 340 throws 250gr bullet so better penetration
    Just an FYI...the 100grn TSX from my .257 WBY blew through the entire length of a black bear body this spring...and exited the animal.

Doc

And the 375 throws a 300 with more frontal mass. On no bone lung shots all calibers kill about the same if the lungs are truly hit

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I appreciate your honest question, although the answer is multi-faceted. The simple answer is that the animal is dead with both scenarios. A good shot is a good shot. Which kills faster? How much faster does it need to drop the animal in order to be significantly better?

Both of your choices are real heavy hammers on game, and they are in the same ballistic ball-park. Therefore, I suspect that the bullet size/wt. Vs. velocity differential between these two choices is functionally miniscule. Then there's the whole discussion of bullet properties, i.e., sectional density, velocity on impact, expansion Vs. penetration, etc.

Amigo Will said it very well that the debate over smaller/faster Vs. bigger/slower has been going on for a long time with no end in sight. I've shot several black bears with a 30-06 (180grn bullets), as well as one with a .257 WBY (100grn bullet). They're all dead and cleanly taken. However, those are spring hunts. In the fall, I always take my .375H&H.

Doc
    Well put!!!!!!

As others have said, hitting the right spot is what kills. The .340 Weatherby has a lot more reach than the .375 H&H, but both are wonderful cartridges. Swift A-Frame bullets are well-proven bullets around the world. The design is like a Partition, except for having quite a heavier "H-shaped" copper structure, which in turn allows for slower expansion than the Partition, and this is very useful at closer ranges when the bullet is coming out the barrel as a faster pace. So while the Partition is a controlled-expanding bullet, the A-Frame is a slower-expanding bullet when shot as the same range and velocity.

The .340 Weatherby is somewhat similar to other super .338's (.338RUM, .330 Dakota, .338 Lapua, .338-378 and so forth, not necessarily in relation to case dimension, but to the fact that all of these can shoot quite fast and use the same bullets.

I shoot the .375H&H and awful lot I haven't shot a .340 Weatherby in years, but I still have a memory of the .340 that just won't go away. The .340 has the kind of recoil that is darn hard to forget The only factory made rifle that was much worst is the .378, that was just flat out brutal.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Thumbs up Both Deliver!

I have experience shooting both cartridges... tho' certainly way more using the .375 H&H than .340 WBY.

For sake of discussion, I think both make excellent all-arounders for here in Alaska and heavier game of the Western States. These cartridges have characteristics that handle a variety of conditions and circumstances.

Let's also say, you shoot a dozen Moose or Griz w/ the .375 H&H and another dozen w/ the .340 WBY... forget the perfect heart/lung scenario, yet all are 'well hit' taken w/ each cartridge. Think to yourself (again merely discussion) that the .375 H&H 300 gr. loading makes a clean one shot kill having mr. big expire in 10 seconds 'average' and the .340 WBY. 220-250 gr does it in 14 seconds average. Maybe take another dozen w/ .30-06 or 7mm and this you find averages 20 second experations.

What are we establishing here? If using average Joe bullets at normal velocities... Evidence may suggest the biggest advantage of the .375 H&H is creating a bigger wound channel, better chances of complete penetration, and leaving a good blood trail for tracking. If hit well - all should not travel far enough to make recovery too difficult w/ the exceptions being around water or over cliff-like terrain.

So in short - no real word difference in downing game dead once it's well hit. Both afford advantageous margin for error (associating angles, thick hide/tissue and hitting bone) on heavy game over something like the very popular 270WIN.

I really like the .340 WBY, however as a factory loading for me it is too expensive and the factory gun I'm most familiar w/ (a high-grade German Mark V) is too fancy to take on hard extended field use.

The .375 H&H is much more reasonably priced on factory ammo with a broader selection of rifles. It is my favorite do-all.

Something to address is what will be the primary purpose. At long range the .340 WBY is one of the best. Not so much based on overall accuracy potential (it's no sniper round like the .338 Lapua), but based on the flat trajectory, time of flight, and major downrange power at extended distances beyond 300 yards. When you learn the .375 H&H --- you find yourself shooting similar fashion to .308 and .30-06 trajectories. Good to know if you are familiar w/ .30-06.

Bullet construction is also something to think about. Today, since I shoot mostly anything and everything w/ .375 H&H 300 gr... I really like the less-expensive blue-box Federal factory load. It works for everything! If I needed a premium bullet at any range, I go to the Nosler PT. If I wanted somewhat better trajectory and more importantly less wind drift for long range - I'd then transition more attention to my BC.

I carry and handle shorter, fatter barreled guns in the field... this configuration I feel greatly favors the .375 H&H over choosing the maximizing characteristics that make the .340 WBY. what it is.
    Brian Richardson

Thats a great point Brian regarding the similarity of trajectory between the 375H&H and the 30-06...it's no coincidence that they both are my favorite rifle calibers. With my handloads a 270 TSX out of one is going real close to the same velocity as a 180 TSX out of the other, and the trajectory out to practical ranges for me is real close.

Doc

I have no qualms about the effectiveness of either round on the critters I shoot. I DO have a lot of qualms about putting the bullet where it belongs when shooting from field positions.

I'd pick between them based on how well the rifle fit me and the quality of the trigger. Look at LOP and comb height relative to the sights. Only way to be sure would be to pick one with very similar dimensions to one that you know works for you. Then shoot the heck out of it without a benchrest in sight. My "most accurate" hunting rifle barely breaks 2" from the bench, but it's a laser from field positions compared to my most accurate bench guns.

Putting a bullet where it belongs is the name of the game. Do that, and the real estate inside the bore is next to meaningless. But if you can't reliably put the bullet where it belongs, better pick something that shoots ammo with proximity fuses.

ohio. but coming to alaska in may to july 2010

Default brown bear, my appologies.. how do i create a new post.... please help. tks.

thank you so much
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I have no qualms about the effectiveness of either round on the critters I shoot. I DO have a lot of qualms about putting the bullet where it belongs when shooting from field positions.

I'd pick between them based on how well the rifle fit me and the quality of the trigger. Look at LOP and comb height relative to the sights. Only way to be sure would be to pick one with very similar dimensions to one that you know works for you. Then shoot the heck out of it without a benchrest in sight. My "most accurate" hunting rifle barely breaks 2" from the bench, but it's a laser from field positions compared to my most accurate bench guns.

Putting a bullet where it belongs is the name of the game. Do that, and the real estate inside the bore is next to meaningless. But if you can't reliably put the bullet where it belongs, better pick something that shoots ammo with proximity fuses.

Default Luisss Are you deciding between a 375 or 340?

I own both rifles and this I can tell you about magnums:

they kick like he11!

shoot a box of shells at the range and it will kick your fillings loose!

don't put a cheap scope on a magnum

If the rifle you get fits you it will be more manageable to deal with, but it will still kick like he11

A Knox recoil compensator is a good investment if you can find one that fits the magnum you choose.

A recoil reducing brake or compensator helps but in the field they will render everyone deaf for about 2 minutes. Guides hate clients with brakes on mags because they blow out your eardrums.

back to the point get the 375 Holland and Holland because it's a better round to use on DG i.e. Moose and Brown Bear and you can take it to Africa and shoot all kinds of large stupid beasts over there. Cape Buffs are dangerous because they are prone to charge, but they are still big dumass cattle in an exotic way. They will just stand there looking stupid while you aim and shoot them, unless you startle them... then they will charge you or run like he11 the other way.
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Bryan:

You have made good points, but keep in mind that penetration depends a lot on bullet construction and SD. In other words, you can load a .338-caliber 300-grain bullet on the .340, and this bullet has a greater potential for penetration than a 300-grain bullet used on the .375 H&H, because of the greater SD. Other than that, it makes no difference which one of the two calibers is used. Both produce plenty of power, and it would be impossible to tell which one kills faster.

I also agree with the others about the recoil produced by the .340 Weatherby. I prefer the .338WM