Thread: A couple of lynx questions

Default A couple of lynx questions

For those of you that trap lynx, how much sign do you like to see in an area before you decide to set traps there? Also, if trapping on foot and thus somewhat limited by range, how far apart would you make sets? I don't want to bother setting too many sets in too small of an area, but I'm also not going to cover 10 miles a day in snowshoes.

I was out calling by moonlight last night and came across a few sets of lynx tracks in about 1/2 mile of walking. There was no obvious signs of an active trapline, though I'd obviously look closely if I set traps there. I've been kicking around the idea of running a few traps for 3 or 4 weeks, but want to focus my efforts as much as possible if I'm going to give it a go. The place is absolutely littered with hare tracks, so that's a positive sign, but I'm not sure what constitutes relatively high lynx activity.

Brian myself if there's cat tracks I'd put 6 sets in, 2 traps per set location. You seen in that post those guys got 4 cats in a close area. it wouldn't be too hard to slam a family unit.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    Brian myself if there's cat tracks I'd put 6 sets in, 2 traps per set location. You seen in that post those guys got 4 cats in a close area. it wouldn't be too hard to slam a family unit.
    Last cat i got had another cat walk down the trail in front of her. I dont think they were together. if an area is hot and i have nothing else going im setting the crap out of it! Hillbilly

How many traps do you have, that are big enough for lynx? If this is the only place you have time to trap, hit it hard. Hope you have snares too.
    Check out the Wilderness Living section of www.trapperman.com. Loads of lynx info there.
    Areas of high rabbit numbers can be tough as rabbits get in the traps.
    Good Luck
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

marten - My brother has loads of traps that I can use, so I shouldn't be too limited by # of traps. It's not the only place I have time to trap, but since there is sign there, I figured my time would be best spent in an area there is activity instead of blindly prospecting elsewhere. I have another spot in mind, but it takes much longer to walk into. Perhaps I'll set both locales, but would have to wait until the days are at least a couple of hours longer to consider that.

Thanks for the tip on the other lynx info. I'll give that a read.

Thumbs up

Lynx are not territorial. If the hare population is good, then put out as many traps as you can carry in. As previously mentioned, you might get quite a few in one small location. Hare hides and grouse wings work well for attractors/distractors on lynx.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

You shoulda hot the easy area hard, real hard, over the 3 day weekend. Kinda like a little battle. Get in, get your fur, and get out. Get to it while you wait for the days to get longer. Then you can move on to the farther area.
    Don't set a trap without hanging a couple snares nearby.

Brian, if you have found some cats or a travel route for cats then set up as many traps as you can carry on your back. Cats will also jump in your trail and walk for MILES so having as many sets as you can maintain will be productive. For an example, on parts of my line where I know the cats come thru or travel very few weeks I will have a cubby about every 100 yards for a few miles. You would be surprised on how a cat will walk by 3 cubby's but finally something peeks their interest and they go for it on cubby #4 even know ALL the cubby's are baited and set up exactly the same. Using wings, CD's, xmas decoration and ribbon works great to get their attention. I have them constantly ripping down and shreading my wings or ribbon. Had a cat last week help himself to a rabbit that got caught in the cubby and then preceeded to tear down both wings I had hanging. I have a little surprise for him when he comes back thru... And as mentioned, drag your feet around your sets, making a trail and set 2-3 snares. Good luck. If you need any lure or wings, just stop by...

So Brian..............could sharing trapping information "threaten the resource"? Your seeking info to become a better trapper. Catch more fur. Steve just gave you, and all the other readers, info on catching lynx. Gosh.........this could multiply. Might be too many trappers actually CATCHING lynx.
    More forum rules?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

did he tell you where?

BTW.. Brian where were those tracks any ways... ? just curious thanks
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yeah, BIG difference between giving someone info on how to do something and telling them where to go.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    Yeah, BIG difference between giving someone info on how to do something and telling them where to go.
    hmm i dunno oats...

people been telling me where to go... and what to do with my self once i get there, for years....usually pretty quite there
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Marten, you ask that as though I'm the one who suggested the new rule or that I've taken any action on the idea. I joined a discussion and shared some thoughts - that's it. I also have made it painfully clear that I am fully in favor of helping people with techniques, tips, ideas, and yes, even locations in some circumstances. You're barking up the wrong tree.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    So Brian..............could sharing trapping information "threaten the resource"? Your seeking info to become a better trapper. Catch more fur. Steve just gave you, and all the other readers, info on catching lynx. Gosh.........this could multiply. Might be too many trappers actually CATCHING lynx.
    More forum rules?
    It's too late now, with the advice contained in this thread I've wiped out the entire lynx population of 20A. I'm making a giant blanket.

just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I joined a discussion and shared some thoughts -
    And it is those thoughts that prompted my questions in my last post on this thread. If giving location info in a thread on this forum is a "threat" to the resource, could giving trapping advice in the same manner equally be a threat? That is a valid question. Maybe we should save info on how to be a more successful trapper for PM's to the select few we choose. No point in making easy for every Tom, Dick, and Harry to catch lynx that I, you, or our selected friends could save for ourselves, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    And it is those thoughts that prompted my questions in my last post on this thread. If giving location info in a thread on this forum is a "threat" to the resource, could giving trapping advice in the same manner equally be a threat? That is a valid question. Maybe we should save info on how to be a more successful trapper for PM's to the select few we choose. No point in making easy for every Tom, Dick, and Harry to catch lynx that I, you, or our selected friends could save for ourselves, eh?
    MT it is a lot easier then that... i have devised a devise to auto start my GPS, that i intend on stashing in Brian's bumper.. every time he heads out hunting it will fire off....

by this time next year i should be rolling in yotes, caribou, and lynx by the sound of it... see and the devious part of this.. is he will constantly be cleaning out the Cabelas catalogs i am signing him up for...( so is JMG he will get TWO of every booklet and sale pamphlet) off the seat from the mail box... to remember to look for aforementioned device

meet on face book here

I think theses are all great TIPS on how to get a lynx. There is nothing wrong with trying to help out a fellow feller? Its along the same lines of "if I see someone trying to drill a hole to ice fish in with a hand auger am I going to offer my power auger to him so its easier for him to catch fish" come on if these guys want to help each other out then so be it. I'm sure you have never had a bone thrown your way right?