Thread: large pistol magnum primers in 44 mag

Default large pistol magnum primers in 44 mag

i plan on trying some economy loads in my 44 mags, brian pearce in handloader mag shoots 250 keith + 8.8 grains of alliant power pistol with regular large pistol primers.

i was wondering if i could substitute my large pistol magnum primers instead? appreciate any help.

Default Sometimes

with small loads of pistol powder, magnum primers often make sure the powder burns completely, but that load with a 250 grain bullet and decent crimp shouldn't be a problem with standard primers.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    with small loads of pistol powder, magnum primers often make sure the powder burns completely, but that load with a 250 grain bullet and decent crimp shouldn't be a problem with standard primers.
    I agree with MB...but double check with other sources or cut back a few percent. Watch the crimp and bullet creep for the last few rounds of a full cylinder, and if you reduce the load at all make sure that the bullet clears the bore when you shoot. Gas check Vs. not is something to also look at.

Doc

Over the years I've used magnums when I've run out of standards and haven't seen a noticable difference in performance in calibers like 45acp, 44spl, and light 41, 1000fps loads. Just my experience, but my loads are usually far short of max, and I use powders that fill more of the case than bullseye.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

standard primers work just fine in most weapons, and most loads. magnum primers assist burning high volume powder, and can improve velocity in very cold weather. they can also increase pressure, which may be a factor in your loading.

follow your loading manual and DON'T substitute components. that way you will stay safe, and protect your firearms as well.
    this is my custom .44 ruger flat-top. it will generate max velocities using standard primers, so why spend more money on magnum primers?
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    standard primers work just fine in most weapons, and most loads. magnum primers assist burning high volume powder, and can improve velocity in very cold weather. they can also increase pressure, which may be a factor in your loading.

follow your loading manual and DON'T substitute components. that way you will stay safe, and protect your firearms as well.
    this is my custom .44 ruger flat-top. it will generate max velocities using standard primers, so why spend more money on magnum primers?
    That's the best suggestion.

Doc

Way back hen it was hard to find mag pistol primers and I had several cases of large rifle primers on hand, I also had a Forester case trimmer and primer pocket reamer tool. I cut the primer pockets deeper to take large rifle primers and had no problem with the two or three hundred cases I did this to. I was shooting some stout loads of 2400 powder and 255 grain cast bullets. I did not see any difference in the life of the brass at all. So if you really want to go dirt cheap I suggest you do some experimenting.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

That is one nice looking Flat-top! Would you mind posting some more pictures of it?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

they cost the same here!!!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    they cost the same here!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for posting that Vince I was beginning to think I needed to shop around more the next time I bought primers.

That load of 8.8 grs of Power Pistol is not "toeing the line" for max pressure for the 44 magnum. Even if the use of magnum primers were to boost pressures a little, you would still be far under max for the 44 magnum. Generally speaking, substituting different components is a "no-no" in reloading, but in this case: go ahead and use the magnum primers (for that particular load)...it won't hurt anything. Just IMO, of course!

By the way, the Keith 250-260gr bullets are an excellent choice for the 44....I use them myself.

Marshall/Ak
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"