Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 350 grain Barnes X in .375...

Smile 350 grain Barnes X in .375...

I was reading a story last night about a new 350 grain Barnes X bullet in caliber .375. They were using it on those Asian buff in Australia. Yup, it worked. They were getting around 2300 fps mv with their load. No broken pedals and good expansion. Will this be a good brown bear load, time will tell. I don't see it catching on in a big way in Alaska, but I can see it being popular for those that hunt Africa.

Boy, that's got to be a looooooooong, loooooooooong, loooooooong bullet. I'd be concerned about stabilizing it with standard 375 barrel twist rates, much less loss of powder capacity by the time you seated it deep enough to cycle through an action.

Any talk about twist rates and seating depths in the article?

Going to have to check that out! I use my .375 for close range work so velocity doesn't matter much but the heavier, longer bullet would definitely be a benefit.

Nothing on the Barnes site for that particular bullet, but I did find the story by Sheriff Jim Wilson:

http://sheriffjimwilson.com/?p=126

Default thats it...

I read the article in the NRA's American Hunter magazine. Thanks for posting the link Diesel Nut. Sorry Brown Bear. Not much technical info or autopsy reports in the article. I agree, it is going to be a long bullet. As far as stabilzing goes, I don't know. Guese we will have to wait for future reports. I do believe the writer, Jim Wilson, was using a Ruger single shot. You might know the twist rate if it is a factory barrel. Although most Alaskan game animals are killed quickly with smaller calibers and lighter bullets, I am intrigued by heavy bullets and the .375 H&H, even if I do not hunt with either one.

hap

There is a huge difference in "hardness" between brown bears and grass eaters. Moose and caribou and goats have far more bone/bullet concerns than bears. I have a picture of the scapula from an 8 1/2' Kodiak bear fleshed and fresh in good sunlight (yeah I know it already sounds like a lie!) with a knife behind the bone. The knife is pretty easy to make out THROUGH the bone. Try that with a moose scapula sometime.

The extra bullet weight might increase the ultimate OD a hair, but not all that much and it will still go all the way through...

I can totally understand the concept for one of the nasty buffalo because they are far harder...

I have no trust in any Barnes X bullet. If you want to put some trust in a 350 grain bullet for the .375 H&H then the bullet to put faith in is the 350 grain Woodleigh. You can get then from Huntington. Ever Barnes X bullet I have tried on black bear has been just like shooting a FMJ. No expansion that you can count on. Of course I made the mistake of shooting at 400 yards, I watched the bullets kick up the dirt behind the bear with each shot. Maybe I just need to read the advertising more to be a believer.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Barnes X are a quality bullet if you pick your game and velocities correctly. OAL always seems to be the issue with their copper bullets and this one probably is no different. I'm a kill with thunder kind of believer and think I will stick to the A Frames!

Probably a new Remington offering!

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...es-bullet.aspx

Like said before, Brown bears aren't a real tough critter body structure wise. It doesn't take much of a bullet to go through 'em like a hot knife through butter.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Exclamation Found it...

...but you'll have to go to Australia (or pay shipping) to get 'em...

http://www.nioa.net.au/CommercialVie...ID=904&level=1

Barnes does make the bullet, they just don't market or sell it in North America. I also notice they offer a 285gr .338 TSX and a 265gr .338 Tipped TSX. Guess I'll have to contact Barnes and ask why they don't offer this heavy goodness to Alaskans

hap

Maybe they thought Alaskans were smarter than that???

Default bullet don't always make it thru bears

Two years ago I shot a brn bear on Kodiak that the 300gr NP, 375 H&H Fed., went thru to the other side and stopped against the hide. It did the job but didn't rip right thru, made a real mess in the chest so I'll just stay with them, like above I'm a little leary of copper bullets.

Default 300g NP

Well it's hard to say what kind of load that 300 NP had behind it. If it was a factory load we know it had COAL to specs. You also didn't mention what range you shot that bear at.

A 350g bullet is big in a H&H case. I use a 200g X-bullet in my 300 H&H and it's long enough to compress my loads at the proper COAL. They are very accurate and precise in my rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    Maybe they thought Alaskans were smarter than that???
    And what's wrong with heavy for caliber bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    Nothing per say, but in a TSX (and mind you I'm a huge fan as that's all I shoot) they're God awful looooooonnnnggg!!!!!!!! The extra practical purpose of a heavy bullet like that is lost in my oppinion for the loss of powder capacity/velocity. No moss on a 300 grainer or wish for penetration for that matter! My 2 cents.

Brett

hap

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    As Brett pointed out the TSX does not gain anything with extra weight.

If a cup and core bullet is only going to retain 60% of initial weight the heavy bullets might make some sense... But not in a bullet that will retain 100%. Keep them whippy and you will never find a TSX. Or at least I cannot.

And then there is the stabilization question and just how tightly spun do you need you barrel to be?

They are certianly the answer to the question no one should be asking!
    art

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    As Brett pointed out the TSX does not gain anything with extra weight.

If a cup and core bullet is only going to retain 60% of initial weight the heavy bullets might make some sense... But not in a bullet that will retain 100%. Keep them whippy and you will never find a TSX. Or at least I cannot.

And then there is the stabilization question and just how tightly spun do you need you barrel to be?

They are certianly the answer to the question no one should be asking!
    art
    Exactly! Solving problems with the TSX that didn't exist!

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Boy, that's got to be a looooooooong, loooooooooong, loooooooong bullet. I'd be concerned about stabilizing it with standard 375 barrel twist rates, much less loss of powder capacity by the time you seated it deep enough to cycle through an action.

Any talk about twist rates and seating depths in the article?
    Actually I never could figure out why the 375's use a 1:12 twist. Basic twist rate calculators put it's optimum twist for length in the 1:15 range for most 300gr bullet lengths.

My 300gr loads are not compressing the powder so a 350gr bullet would probably do fine. I have no need in my application for a heavier slower 375 load.

Barnes Bullet lengths and optimum twist rates based on tested 235, 270 and 300gr velocity's, 350 velocity was estimated.

http://kwk.us/twist.html

235 / 1.222 / 20:1
    270 / 1.370 / 17:1
    300 / 1.492 / 15:1
    350 / 1.690 / 13:1

Smile time will tell...

What ever the perceived pros and cons are will be laid to rest after the bullet has been in service for a couple of years. The writer and his companion hunter seemed to have made out fine with the bullet in their rifles. I think a deep penetrating expanding 350 grain .375 caliber bullet at about 2,300 fps mv is just another option for .375 fans. Most of the posters on this forum say they shoot 270 grain or lighter bullets from their .375 and 225 grain or lighter bullets out of their .338's. We Americans have proven we like our bullets to go fast and I really don't see the 350 grain bullet catching on in a big way in America. I think it will be interesting, at least to me, to see how it performs on the Cape Buffalo. Bullets are very interesting to me and I wish I could live long enought to shoot them all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast