Thread: Anyone know about Hatcher Pass Wasilla side

Default Anyone know about Hatcher Pass Wasilla side

We were told there were ptarmagin up there . Anybody try it out at all , or is it a waste of time . thanks

We went all the way up to the pass where the gate is closed on the Willow side. We found one grouse..no other birds to be seen. But this was a few weeks ago.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I've done well for Ptarmigan up by the Motherlode lodge. You have to go across the Little Su and up on the hillside to find them though. The park has also made a rule that you have to be 1/4 mile off the road before firing a "weapon" so make sure you are far enough.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default hatcher pass

Is that where the trees start to thin out ? I think were going up there in the morning , thanks .

Pretty much anywhere after you cross over the Little Su (river will then be on your right). The canyon is pretty steep for a mile or so but then the valley opens up. Once it opens up, anywhere you can get across the river and up into the willows you should be able to find birds (with some hiking...). Just look for fresh tracks and you will find them.

If you find tracks just stand close to the brush and listen. Lots of times this makes the birds nervous and they will start talking. Listen for them and hunt 'em down!

Good luck and let us know how you do!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Hatcher Pass

Well we walked up the trail about 4 miles to the mine across from the Motherload Lodge . We got 2 total at mile 2.5 . When we came back there were tons of people coming up the trail . So its an early morning hunt or not at all .

Default Just a reminder:

I think you have to be 1/4+ mile from the trail when shooting in that area.

Default 1/4 mile

I believe its a quarter mile from the highway , not the trails . You would barely be able to walk a 1/4 mile through that deep stuff , but if so I will next time .

1/4 mile from the road not the trails. I've hunted big and small game up there, if you stay on the trails you get a critter here and there. You have to get off the trail system to do well. Same goes for any area.

BTW hikers on the trail have never stopped Gunther and I! We are proud of our hunting heritage and I'll be ****ed if I'll let a few glances from some snot in Lycra keep me from hunting on legal public land. Absolutely love dragging a sled full of spring Bear past the tour buses.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default 1/4 mile ,

Thanks for the clarification . I thought it was from the road . I agree , the trail is for everyone including hunters . So let them be bothered , who cares lol .

Default Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post

BTW hikers on the trail have never stopped Gunther and I! We are proud of our hunting heritage and I'll be ****ed if I'll let a few glances from some snot in Lycra keep me from hunting on legal public land. Absolutely love dragging a sled full of spring Bear past the tour buses.
    When we start apologizing for our birthright, it won't be long before we lose it to the spandex and gortex crowd. Keep representing.