Thread: Which Alaska atlas's and maps

Default Which Alaska atlas's and maps

Which maps can you guys recommend? I have the "Alaska Atlas and Gazetteer" on its way, what are some other good ones showing good detail, trails ect. that I should get.

Thanks,
    </SPAN>

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well Robbie those are a perfect start.. each one of us that spend any time outdoors has 1 or three of the gazettes laying around..

from there.. we can localize and pint point topo maps to order with a little better detail. Alaska is difficult to get accurate and detailed maps on.. the gazette is also great for mapping your route and leaving with the spouse or other to know where you are headed,, in event of emergency.. as it is user friendly...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Topo!

Nat Geo makes it; several CDs in the box. Easy to use, and has every paper topo map made on it. You can add nav coordinates in seconds, measure the length of rivers, etc, then print what you want. Good luck. j

Nat Geo alaska is awesome. You can take 3d fly thrus. U can also make profiles of your routes. It's a little expensive at 99.95 but I love it. You can also print all your maps on waterproof paper.

We carry both the National Geographic and the Maptech programs in the bookstore on this site.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Another vote for Nat Geo TOPO

I also like going to Google Maps. You can toggle between color sat images and the Terrain page

I go from my Garmin Mapsource to TOPO, Delorme, Google Map and Earth

When I am planning my summer packrafting/backpacking trips I use a combination between trails.com topos and google earth. GE gives you the lay of the land and measure distances between points easily. While topos allow you to see land point names and are what I print out and laminate to put in my pack when actually going out on the trip.

You're off to a good start with the Alaska Atlas and Gazette.

I also use the Nat Geo TOPO Alaska on a regular basis. It's a bit of an investment, but absolutely worth it for looking over a lot of area (which is a necessity in understanding Alaska).

I probably use Google Earth just about every day I touch a computer. Super useful program. Also, here are a couple of very handy kml files to use with Google Earth: http://www.alaskamapped.org/data/goo...rth-kml-files/

The first file "bdl.kml" is a layer of high resolution satellite imagery. In areas where the imagery of google earth is a bit fuzzy or dark, I can often turn on this layer and get a much better picture to look at.

The second file "drg.kml" is a layer with all the USGS topo maps scanned it. As you zoom in it automatically goes to the more detailed (smaller scale) maps. It's really handy to be able to lay the topo maps over the satellite imagery and visa versa.

If you haven't opened kml files before, download (save) the file to your computer somewhere. Open google earth. Then open the file. It'll appear under your "temporary places" on the left side tool bar. Drag the file up into "my places" and then go under File in the upper left and choose "save my places" Now you'll have it whenever you open Google Earth. You can turn the layer on and off by clicking the check box of course.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

wyo2ak
    I downloaded, saved those kml files, but not getting any topo. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thumbs up Give terraserver a try

Terraserver.com is like google-earth, but in my opinion, it gives better detailed maps that are farther away from populated areas than google does. You can subscribe to it like other sites as well, it's not very expensive. You can also pinpoint areas and then order the aerial photos of exactly what/where you want. My .02...

Quote Originally Posted by goosepilot View Post
    wyo2ak
    I downloaded, saved those kml files, but not getting any topo. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
    hmmm... it looks like both the links on the website I listed above are giving you the bdl.kml file (which is the high-resolution aerial). It must be a mistake on their website.

Go to this web page instead:
    http://www.alaskamapped.org/news/200...-google-earth/

The second file down (dmg.kml) is the one you want for the USGS topo. I just cleared it out of my google earth and re-downloaded it, and it worked for me. Give that a try... once you open the dmg.kml file in google earth, it should look something like this...
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default Thanks

That one worked.
    Boy I like this. Very nice addition to the map repertoire.