Thread: Where to launch a canoe along the haul road.

Default Where to launch a canoe along the haul road.

Would it be feasible to drive up the haul road and launch a canoe on one of the streams/rivers and go up stream out side of the Dalton Highway game management area (Five miles out)? In GMA's 20F and 24A. Iíve never been North of Fairbanks so donít know if these stream/rivers are to strong for a canoe, only seen blue lines on a map. Which streams are good for a canoe with easy luanch close to road, small rapids, light current ect. that can access decent hunting areas.

I recommend buying Larry's rafting book or look and see if Strahan's stuff has info.

From the few trips I have made to Coldfoot along the road most of the streams are either shallow and fast that you will have to walk up, or slow and filled with beaver ****s. The banks are alder choked which fold over the stream in a lot of places and you will have to cut them out to make any head way.

Either way you will be traveling much more than five miles along a river route. On a meandering stream you could be walking 10 miles before you make it out of the 5 mile zone.

Any river with road access will have jet boats air airboats on it.

Default experience

I had a any bull archery permit and took my grumman up there and tried every creek, north of the yukon to coldfoot. the only waterway i got anywhere with was the Kanuti. I went up and down river. up river was shallow at first but then got deep and I ran my engine with a lift. Big rocks both down and up river, down river water started getting fast and narrow. huge grayling and some bear and bou tracks. spent 4 days there and didnt see an animal.

Default Doubt full

Along the haul road I don't think you could navigate a canoe with a motor up stream on any of the rivers, only jet boats or air boats can make it on a few rivers. One river,the Atigun, in unit 26b goes out of the corridor and then goes into the Sag. which then goes back to the haul road. I have heard of a couple of people that have tried this in a canoe but lost it in the Atigun gorge and lost there gear.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

I'd be pretty dang leary of the rapids closer to slope mt camp if you do make it throught he gorge...I think this trip is much better suited to rafts then a canoe.

You should hit up sportsmens, atleast here in fairbanks they are selling the DHC maps...pretty decent, covers the hole corridor all the way down to fairbanks, topo style. They will work well, however if you're planning to go outside the 5mile mark, plan on buying a better topo of the area as in many areas this map doesnt go past it. It does however get you started.

I have seen canoes lined up a couple rivers up north past the 5 mile mark and they floated back down. And I DO think in some of them depending on water condition a kicker wouldnt be a bad thing to have...if you have a good lift on it. Though most of the rivers are pretty dang shallow over all, and extremely rocky! Not undoable without a bit of work to put it mildly

Default kanuti

The kanuti is plenty deep enough to run a prop up river after the first 1/2 which is real shallow, I dont know if it will take you out the 5 mile cooridor but you could make it out part way. fishing and camping would be awsome, archery bear and maybe a chance at a bou, dont know the moose population there