Thread: Pointing breed training

Default Pointing breed training

I am curious if there is a pointing breed trainer in Alaska. I poked around on Google, but didn't see much. If anyone has information, or know of a competent trainer, please pm me thanks.

Hoyt,

You should call Bob Sjordahl at Northern Pet Care. 488-5959 Excellent pointing dog trainer.

Jim

Thanks for the information Mr. McCann. I will most definitely contact Bob. I have actually seen that logo on his truck around town a few times. I also boarded my Weim there a few years ago. They seem to be very nice people. We will be welcoming an English Setter pup into our home this spring, and want to make sure we can provide the best training for the pup. Im not confident enough in myself to provide that level of training, and wasnt super keen on sending the dog state side. Im happy to hear they train gun dogs. We currently own a 9 yr old Weim. She is an awesome family dog, but not much of a gun dog. She would rather be on the couch! Anyway I purchased her in college, and had high aspirations to train her (growing up I used to help my uncle train labs for hunting/filed trails). Unfortunately, due to my youthful ways at the time, and a hectic schedule, she was never worked with more than basic obedience. I have hunted upland birds my entire life, and have always wanted a good gun dog. If you have any advice or information, Id love to hear from you. Thanks again for the info!
    Ryan

Ryan,

The tough part may be in getting Bob to take your dog on. He's quite busy. We generally do some training together in the summer, and he's hunted with me on the farm in Delta once or twice a year for the last few, but his kennel duties keep him pretty close to home. Bob and Sharon are great folks, that's for certain.

Spring is a great time to get a pup! Maybe we'll meet up this summer and I'll get to see this lucky pup.

Keep us posted. And I'm full of advice and suggestions. Occasionally some of it is good!

Jim

Again thanks for the info. I'm planning on going out to Bobs place on monday. I hope he has room this spring. Maybe by getting to him early in the year, i can secure some of his time. Hopefully we do get a chance to run into you this summer! Take care, Ryan

Default Trainer in Anchorage/ER/Valley area

Good evening,

Are there any pointing dog/versatile hunting dog trainers in Anchorage/ER/Valley area?

Regards,

yhc

YHC,

There are some good pointing dog trainers down your way. I'd suggest you contact the "Arctic gun dog Association." Find them on line, become a member, and meet and talk with a few.

Jim

Default correct

YHC,
    Jim is spot on, there are some really good people & willing to help in the Arctic Bird dog club. I haven't been out for a few yrs but they usually have a puppy/dog intro to bird training when the snow melts, followed by a fun day for all dogs in May. In addition they can help you get ready & take the AKC tests if you are interested. They usally have a booth at the sportsmans show as well.

Hoyt, train your dog yourself.

The finished product will be extra gratifying and the dog will relate and respond to you that much better.

There are a ton of great books and resources out there to help...
    Proud to be an American!

Default dog training

I will be working with our new addition this summer and would be interested in working with you if interested. We are just doing obedience right now. pm if interested Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Thanks

Jim, AKMarmot,

Thanks for the info. I guess I should clarify myself a bit.

I will be out of town for a few weeks and rather than putting my dog (currently 10 mo) at a regular kennel, I would rather find a versatile dog trainer to board and train the dog to keep her challenged and trained. If you know of a good versatile dog trainer in Anchorage/ER/Valley areas who offers boarding/training services please do let me know.

Regards,

yhc

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Hoyt, train your dog yourself.

The finished product will be extra gratifying and the dog will relate and respond to you that much better.

There are a ton of great books and resources out there to help...
    Hey FK,
    I've done a ton of research, and read a lot of books. I plan on being involved with every aspect of our new puppies training. What I wanted to do was work with the dog (myself) with a trainer to "fine tune" my rookie mistakes. I talked with Bob at Northern Pet care, and it sounds like he really likes that approach (he is a real nice/smart guy). Basically well be learning techniques and skills from him, and applying them. I read a ton, and my experiences have always been that there are always tricks of the trade that you can't learn in books. Want I wanted is what I think I found in Bob. I only talked about sending the dog for training as a last resort, in the end I don't think I ever would have. I grew up in a family that trained and breed labs, so I have some of the basic skills. Like I said, I just wanted to find a trainer that we could work with on the little important things.
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Hoyt,

You should call Bob Sjordahl at Northern Pet Care. 488-5959 Excellent pointing dog trainer.

Jim
    I'll vouch for Bob being an all around great guy and Sharon is wonderful. They bought a pointer pup from me about 7 years ago when I was in Maine. Glad to hear he is doing some training.

wynot,

Was that "Sue" that Bob bought from you? She sure is a nice dog. He's got another pointer as well. Man they sure can make his Garmin Astro GPS sing like a big game fishing reel when they're released to "hunt 'em up!" They cover 800 yds in a jiffy.

Jim

Jim,

I think that is right. Its been a few years since I had to think of her name.
    A picture of her dad, Wynot Ace, can be seen here:

http://www.angelfire.com/mn3/coverdog/2003chs.html