Thread: Which Handgun to get.

Default Which Handgun to get.

I already own a ruger P94DC in the .40s&w round.

I am really leaning to getting a 9mm over a 10mm or a 45acp. Mainly for practice and ocasionally shooting the heads off of some snowshoes. Accuracy, smaller frame, and reliability are of the most important traits I am looking for. The firearm must not have a hammer and it does not need to have a safety.... But Its a plus to me if it has one.

I have got my search down to the ruger sr9, smith and wesson m&p9, or springfield XDM. I do not want a glock as I like things made in the USA. I seem to be leaning heavily to the m&p for the accuracy and reliability. If there is an overwhelming amount of people who would rather have the XDM, I would get that handgun.

So let me know what you fellas think. Is there any other handguns that would fit the bill that are within the same price range? Let me know if I am missing something here. Thanks in advance,
    Bowhunter.

Well with a bit more research I believe I have narrowed it down to the M&P9. Unless there is a bunch of objections, I think I will own one here shortly.

I can't attest to the M&P9, but I have owned an XD 45. The Springfields are outstanding in quality reliability and accuracy, especially for the price. There's something to be said for 20 rd. capacity too. Whatever you choose, you can't go wrong with more guns!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well i always have a problem with which ONE to buy... i personally think a guy should start at one end of the rack... and find a new store with new rack when he has reached the other end of the current.... with one of each in his collection
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I like the XD but wish they made it in a 10mm. Biggest problem with Ruger is constant model changes and low resale of autos

I always figure lots and lots of shooting is needed. With bird heads thrown into the equation, I'd be buying a 22 auto of similar size and weight to your main gun. Cheap ammo means lots more shooting, and with similar mechanics, it will always benefit your shooting with larger calibers. Way more fun for birds and bunnies, too.

I already own several .22 handguns and rifles. It was just a thought. 99% of the time this is just going to be a target pistol that I hope to be accurate and speedy with. I think ill have to go hold them a bit more and see which one fits my hand better.

If US made is a criteria then the Springfield XD is out. Made in Croatia. Used to be known as the HS 2000 before Spfld started importing them.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Default Maybe

Have you considered a Browning Hi-Power? Not polymer but it is HI cap-ish, 13+1 and much more classic. I have no problems with the others you have named, they all seem to be pretty good pistols, but there's just something about a HI-Power....

The SigPro Model SP2022 fits the bill and having owned one for almost three years I can tell you it is a very nice pistol and accurate to boot.

I vote for a Glock 29 (10mm) w/a AA Conversions .22 kit...two different calibers for about $900....and the option of hi-power CC pistol with big capacity. Of course you can get barrels ($100) and run 9mm, 357 sig, 40 smith, etc.

It`s a win win.

BTW, I wasn`t a fan of Glock either before I stubbled across this one.

Have you looked at KAHR?

I know you said Glock was out, and I respect the "Made in the USA" statement, but I just bought my wife a Glock 33 in 357 Sig and I couldnt be happier.

Hey I never said anyone else had to buy items that were made in the USA. I just have had family in detroit get put out of work because people are buying imports. I would rather not do that to the USA's firearm workers as well. I think im going with the M&P pistol series. 9mm and then a .45 that will turn into the new roland conversion... I am going to have to wait a while now though. Im out a buttload of money because I had to have surgery on my knee... Now I have to worry about paying for school and hopefully getting another wrestling scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    I know you said Glock was out, and I respect the "Made in the USA" statement, but I just bought my wife a Glock 33 in 357 Sig and I couldnt be happier.

Ditto to that. I laughed at the first time I saw a glock and after I fired it, I was impressed. I carry a glock 23 and will carry a glock 20 while hunting.

Guns is all about taste. I love these conversations.
    If i had to buy another carry gun right now, it would be another Kimber Ultra CDPII. I love the Kimber handguns.

I DO want a Glock for up here in the ugly weather though... it would be nice to keep in camp and not worry about cleaning it until I got home to the dishwasher. :-)

I ended up getting a ruger P-89 9mm and P-90 45 acp, both d/c's because I couldn't pass up the prices. They are fun to shoot, and reasonbly accurate.

That said, when I look at the time I spend chasing brass, casting bullets, reloading, as well as the cost of primers and powder, the 22rf comes out on top for practice and small game hunting. A good 22rf auto will be more acccurate than the vast majority of 9's, 10's and 45's you'll get your hands on, are way cheaper to shoot, and you don't spend all that time dealing with reloading.

I can also attest that if you want to become an excellent handgun shot, you can't beat a good 22rf or a good air pistol. Accuracy comes from repeatedly shooting an accurate gun, and when you add the mild recoil and low operating costs, the smaller guns are the best tool for the job.