Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade king trolling for Ice fishing

Default Trade king trolling for Ice fishing

I have a couple exchange students here in Homer (Mexico, Ecuador, and Dominican Rep) Id like to have them experience ice fishing. I m a winter king guy down here in Homer and would trade you a chance at a winter king for a chance for these kids to pull a fish thru the ice. Any takers

send a PM to MThayer....he's in Kenai and will find you some fish......he's got all the gear you'll need to boot......oh yeah, he'd love to go trolling as well...lol
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default Ice Fishing

I for one would definetly be interested. I have all the gear for several people. Snowmachines, 3-man shanty, Rods reels,tackle, electronics, etc. the whole 9 yards
    Unfortunately I am stuck on the slope until January 12. But if they will be here after that I would be more than happy to take them icefishing .
    Especially if they would like to try for Kokanees and Rainbows as fishing for these guys almost guarantees they will get something.
    If Interested send me a PM and we can work out the details.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default I can help too

Im in Anchorage, but I have student interns at my house as well (from Germany) and have taken them out for their first experiences as well.

I wouldn't neccessarily need a trade of a trolling trip but would love to share ice fishing with the kids.

thanks

Greg

I live in Kenai and would certainly take you guys fishing. I've got all of the gear we need for probably 4 people. If you guys don't get it worked out give me a shout and we'll see what we can do.

Dan

Sounds to me like an ice party in the making. Pick a lake and a date and everyone show up!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thumbs up Ice fishing Party

Yeah JOAT that sounds like a good idea.
    Spirit (Elephant lake) has been good so far this year. Access might be an issue for some there though. It really all depends on how much snow we have for those without snomachines.
    I did fair to good at Island last R&R as well.And you could easily walk out.
    Have not tried Johnson in Kasilof this year but it is always accessible.
    I leave the slope on January 12 so it would have to be within the two weeks following that.
    Anyone else want to suggest a time and/or place feel free to chime in.

Default Tossing out a few ideas:

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Yeah JOAT that sounds like a good idea.
    Spirit (Elephant lake) has been good so far this year. Access might be an issue for some there though. It really all depends on how much snow we have for those without snomachines.
    I did fair to good at Island last R&R as well.And you could easily walk out.
    Have not tried Johnson in Kasilof this year but it is always accessible.
    I leave the slope on January 12 so it would have to be within the two weeks following that.
    Anyone else want to suggest a time and/or place feel free to chime in.
    Johnson doesn't seem to be producing like it used to. Great place, but hey, we wanna catch fish, right?
    I've heard mixed reports about Spirit, but it's got a good rep for being a producer, especially for silvers.
    Island always affords us with fish- sometimes lots, sometimes a little. Walkable too.

What about a Peninsula ice fishers meet/greet at Spirit on Saturday, Jan. 16 if the weather is decent and the road is open?

Other places? Dates?

I'm in for a meet on Jan 16. That is in the middle of my R&R as I will be going south on Jan 7. Spirit might be a little tough. If it is snowed in requiring snowmachines then there isn't much parking by the gate. Unless you guys know something that I don't. I am more in favor of Johnson or Island lakes. Has anyone fished Sport Lake? I've not fished it in the winter or summer so know nothing about it.

Dan

Default let me check with coach

Thanks a bunch to al for the replies, I will get with the b-ball coach and see if this doesnt ruffle his feather too much as all 3 boys are on the team. A walk to lake would be better as Im not geared up with snowmachines. Ill try and see if I can make this work @ the 16 and get back with you.

Thumbs up January 16

Count me in for the 16th.
    I do have an extra snowmachine and the one I ride is 2-up so I have an extra seat there . It would probably be wise to pick a lake that everyone can get to though.
    Last time I hit spirit we caught 36+ fish between the two of us. The biggest was an 18" Rainbow that squirted milt all over the place(including on my black carhart coat).
    Island was good as well I think I caught about 20 myself and my friends 14 year old son who was fishing with me caught 10 or so. Of course he spent a bunch of time riding snowmachine while I was fishing. ok I played around a little too.
    Whatever works for everyone else will probably work for me.

Well it looks like we have a date, Saturday January 16. Now just need a locale. I suppose my vote would be Island Lake. Plenty of parking on the ramp and easy access if some do have to walk. I'll bring my snowmachine and gear sled. While it isn't a two up machine it can handle me and a passenger for the short little run out onto the lake.

Dan

What is the public access to Island Lake? Looking at the sat-map, it appears to be Estes Ave on the east side of the lake accessed from Moose Run. Is that the spot?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Estes Rd is really nothing more than about a 200 yd ramp down to the lake. During the summer I have backed my boat down Estes Rd and it is wide enough for my boat and truck to fit between a vehicle parked on each side. It is almost always plowed so access is usually really easy there. At the lake the launch is a good bit wider and room to launch two or maybe three boats at the same time. I have not tried to turn around at the launch with my trailer behind my truck but there is probably room to turn around. Bear in mind also that Island Lake is North of Kenai almost to Nikiski. The Island Lake Rd turn is immediately across from the fertilizer plant in Nikiski. (Used to be Unocal and later Agrium)

Heres the ADF&G info on Island Lake.
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...tail/LakeID/22

Dan

Default So, date and place...

... time? Early bird gets the worm ...or fish... or is it that the fish gets the worm? 9-ish?

On a side note, my auger, my baby of 15 years, died this weekend at Stormy. Well, it runs but the gear box/clutch isn't grabbing after the throttle stuck while I was pulling it out and it thrashed on the ice for 10 seconds or so. Not sure what's going on there, but it's bound to be expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... time? Early bird gets the worm ...or fish... or is it that the fish gets the worm? 9-ish?

On a side note, my auger, my baby of 15 years, died this weekend at Stormy. Well, it runs but the gear box/clutch isn't grabbing after the throttle stuck while I was pulling it out and it thrashed on the ice for 10 seconds or so. Not sure what's going on there, but it's bound to be expensive.

Sayak, a fix for your 15 year old auger might be a trip to Trustworthy. You know the whole jack up the gas cap and run a new auger under it. Although that would be about a $400 fix, ouch! Anyway, don't worry about making holes I have a 10" Eskimo we can use. BTW how did you do at Stormy? I haven't been there yet this year.

I like fishing from daylight to dark. 8-9 am to 3-4 pm so 9-ish would work for me. Regardless I'll likely be there all day so anytime you guys might like to show up. I said that I would prefer Island Lake but for sure I'm game for anything if something works better.

Dan

Default Thanks

That ADF&G map is very poorly done. It shows Estes down at Teal Street and the shape of the lake and relative position of the island is way off. I'm comparing it to the satellite photo. At least it confirms the public access point.

If the bathymetric info is accurate, then the deep area runs along a straight line between the boat launch and the southern point of the island as I translate it to the sat photo.

Fish stocking... they put in 46,000 rainbows at the end of 2008 and another 44,862 a couple months ago (so they are still too small to fish). Looks like 5,365 char were dumped in 08.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Statewide/hatchery/index.cfm/FA/stocking.locSearchResults?ReleaseSite=Island%20L
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Let Kasilofchrisn set time

I feel like a guest on this trip so I will let someone else set the time and place. Ill bring whatever I need to besides the exchange kids. I appreciate the enthusiasm and look forward to spending some time with you hole diggers. Regards Bruce

Default Joat-

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    That ADF&G map is very poorly done. It shows Estes down at Teal Street and the shape of the lake and relative position of the island is way off. I'm comparing it to the satellite photo. At least it confirms the public access point.

If the bathymetric info is accurate, then the deep area runs along a straight line between the boat launch and the southern point of the island as I translate it to the sat photo.

Fish stocking... they put in 46,000 rainbows at the end of 2008 and another 44,862 a couple months ago (so they are still too small to fish). Looks like 5,365 char were dumped in 08.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Statewide/hatchery/index.cfm/FA/stocking.locSearchResults?ReleaseSite=Island%20L
    Just (as it says) "turn right on Island Lake Rd. 2.3 miles to Pipeline Road. Left on Pipeline Rd. 0.7 mile to Moose Run Road. Left on Moose Run Rd. 0.8 mile to Estes Rd. Left on Estes Rd. to limited parking in cul-de-sac, sandy boat launch area". If you keep bearing to the left (no drive ways though) and you'll eventually hit the boat landing. It isn't hard to find really. People fish all over that end of the lake, but I've found the best action between the point and the island.

Dan-
    I posted on the Peninsula Ice Fishers blog thingie (remember that guys?) about Stormy, but in a nut shell, no real action. One other bunch out on the ice who prospected all over the lake but no action for them either. We were targetting pike, and stuck to the north end of the lake rather than the traditional south 'cause it was so dang windy.

Well it is certainly looking like

Island Lake - north of Kenai
    Saturday, January 16 at about 9:00 AM

For many of the reasons already stated I vote we go with this unless someone has some objections.

I'll most likely be alone and be bringing enough fishing gear for four plus people. I have a power auger so making holes won't be a problem. I'll have my snowmachine with gear sled so we can get all of our gear out on the ice without much trouble. I'll also have my Quickfish 3 shelter and Buddy Heater so if it is really cold we will have a place to get inside to warm up. There is really only room for two people to fish inside the shelter but it does make a good place for a quick warm up. I've fished this lake several times in the winter and summer and it will usually produce consistent Dollies and a few Rainbows.

FWIW The Troopers and ADF&G show up on the lake from time to time so we need all of our 2010 paperwork in order.

Dan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast