Thread: Cheap/inexpesive O/U shotguns

Default Cheap/inexpesive O/U shotguns

I have been looking at a cz 20g O/U shotgun for grouse. I have been offered a mossberg at a very resonable price. I read that the are both made in Huglu turkey and so wonder if the cz is worth the extra cash. Does anyone have any experience with stoeger?

I have read some negatives about the mossberg and wonder if i should hold out for a used browning. Theres no room in the budget for a new citori.

If it is a Huglu shotgun be sure and pay attention to the grade. I have picked some up in Turkey that were not of very high quality. The firing pin was made of soft steel and did not last very long. Just an input on the Huglu's.

35gibber - I've bee researching the same thing myself. I've been wanting an o/u for quite a while and I can't afford the high-end models myself. From what I've read the general consensus is that you're better off waiting for a deal on a used one like Weatherby or Browning.

One common recommendation that I've seen though - Most of the shotgunners say that of the "lower priced" O/U's, the best are the SKB models. I've seen a few of those on the online gun sites for under $1K.

I also read a good review not long ago about the Stevens model 512 - I think they have a 20 gauge of the same design. That's from a magazine though - can't always depend on them to be objective.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I've got a couple of Stoeger (12 and a 20) OUs and a Russian-made SxS 20. I keep them on our place in the Southwest so I don't have fly guns back and forth, plus I'm not going to go broke if someone breaks in and steals them.

No, they're not as nicely finished as more expensive guns. But after over 5 years of pretty heavy use, none have developed problems. The Stoegers seem "clubby" compared to my Red Labels, but they work. I'm wondering if Stoeger isn't putting their brand on SKBs. When I went looking for replacement chokes, the SKBs were the only ones that fit, and they were perfect.

I would save more and buy a used Ruger,Browning,SKB etc. Huglu stamps the name of around twenty brands on their guns all the way from junk to the Kimber for big bucks.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

35gibber I have two stoeger o/u. One is the youth model the other is full size with two barrel sets 12 and 20.

Both were bought in 2007 from Mt View Spts. When I'm home I take my son to the skeet range on post about every other weekend or sometime during the week and fire a few box's of shells each. Since owning these two guns I have bought at least six cases of shells and fired them all through the two guns.

So far the only problems that I have had are both with the youth model. The gun was very stiff to open at first, with my sons initial size he had problems opening the gun by himself. As he's grown and fired the gun a lot the problem has gone a way. The action has softened some and he's a lot stronger now.

The second problem I have with the youth model is a small crack that has started on the butt stock. It is right where the receiver tang ties into the hand grip on the top side. I believe this was caused by shooting in the cold one day. We fired about three box's each one afternoon last January before I deployed. The tempurature was between -15 and -20 that day. When I cleaned the guns afterwards at the house I found the crack. I had not noticed the crack before. I think some moisture or gun oil worked its way under the tang and into the wood and forced a crack from the pressure created while shooting in that weather. Not sure, just my guess.

The guns point quick and hit where I'm looking, unfortunately I don't always look where I want to hit , the workmanship is basic. They are not high grade, but they serve the purpose I wanted.

Default Remington

310 if i remember right. Its russian made but shoots very well. Ive been wanting a 210 sxs also to shoot grouse. Hillbilly

Arizona Baby!

Shotgun World has seperate forums specifically for some of these shotgun brands.

I shoot registered skeet so my opinion might be somewhat different. I see Stoeger's and CZ'z from time to time but it usually isn't for very long as they fail for one reason or another. More often than not some kind of trigger problem. I don't really prescribe to the very expensive Krieghof and Perazzi's of the world. I shoot what I term as working man's guns. I have a Winchester Select O/U with a complete set of sub gauge tubes. Also I shoot Ruger Red Label's except in 410 because Ruger doesn't make a 410 Red Label. I also hunt what few upland birds we have here with my Red Labels. My recommendation is to save up about $1500 before making your investment in an O/U as you will be much more satisfied with your purchase overall. There are a lot of good O/U shotguns available for that price or just a little more: Ruger, Remington, Winchester, Browning, Beretta, just to name a few. If this price tag is just out of your budget I recommend you look at either a pump or semi-auto from some of the same manufacturers. This is what I have seen and only what I recommend. Your mileage may vary.