Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 handgun

Default 22 handgun

What is a good 22 handgun to buy? I want to mount a scope on it. Don't want to spend more than $500 any suggestion.

thanks

To stay in your budget I would look for a used Ruger semiauto

There are really only 2 good ones that fit the requirements and they are the Ruger MKII and the Browning Buckmark. Both are good and will give you years of quality service.

Default +1

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    To stay in your budget I would look for a used Ruger semiauto
    There are other options, but the Ruger is a great pistol; it's widely available, easily upgradeable, and would fill the bill perfectly.

Stick with a Ruger, preferably a Mark2. The newer Mark3's are more diffucult to field strip and reassemble and have some unnecessary features, a magazine safety and a loaded chamber indicator. If you're not smart enough to check your pistol to see if it's loaded, you probably shouldn't own one. Like a 10-22 rifle, these are probably the most durable, reliable 22 auto pistols around. A Buckmark is a distant second place.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default A 22 Handgun????

If I didn't already have a 22 Handgun,,,,,

I'd go for either a Ruger Single Six Convertable, with the longest barrel they make, or a Ruger Mark III Hunter.

I confess, to not knowing the price of either, so don't know if they're in range.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

While I agree that the Buckmark might not be quite as heavy duty as the Ruger semiauto, I will say that for the price you could get a Weigand Combat mount and a pretty nice scope or reddot and still be under your price ceiling. I have seen very few problems with either the Ruger or the Browning, but the most common thing I see either for is to properly reassemble the Ruger. They are both very accurate and should serve your purpose well.

I am a revolver guy prefering a S&W K22 but at the moment the only rimfire pistol I have is a Ruger Single Six. I will say that I'm pretty sure no gun on the planet beats the Ruger single action especially the rimfire for durability, they just dont stop working. I have carried mine thousands of miles and taken critters up to the size of wild hogs with it, and never a problem of any sort. But the revolvers are harder to mount a scope on so a semi- auto will probably be your best bet.

Default I agree with gunbugs

I should have said that the Ruger MK II is the best choice like gb did instead of saying simply "Ruger." I think you should be able to stay in your budget for pistol, scope and mounts with no problem if you buy a used pistol. I've had several and let some slip by to others for one reason or another. My present MK II is not for sale; not now, not ever. It is a 5.5" stainless bull barrel. I've used it for various purposes and it has yet to disappoint me. It normally needs a thorough cleaning every 1500 or so rounds to maintain flawless functioning, but other than that it is simply a load and shoot proposition with no worries. Match quality ammo produces outstanding accuracy and plain Jane bulk box ammo will allow plenty of small game accuracy for the pot or fun. I'd report on the number of times its been fired, but you probably wouldn't believe it.

Thumbs up Ruger

I have a mk III competition and my son shoots a Mk II. The mk III come with the scope mount, where the MK II does not and needs to be tapped for a mount. Lots of accessories for these pistols online, both have been modified very easily. two thumbs up from us

Ruger does make the Single Six in the Hunter model which has the raised rib and scope rings. Might be able to find a used one for less than 5. Heres a new one for just over 5.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/70688

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Stick with a Ruger, preferably a Mark2. The newer Mark3's are more diffucult to field strip and reassemble and have some unnecessary features, a magazine safety and a loaded chamber indicator. If you're not smart enough to check your pistol to see if it's loaded, you probably shouldn't own one. Like a 10-22 rifle, these are probably the most durable, reliable 22 auto pistols around. A Buckmark is a distant second place.
    Ditto on the Ruger.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I should have said that the Ruger MK II is the best choice like gb did instead of saying simply "Ruger." I think you should be able to stay in your budget for pistol, scope and mounts with no problem if you buy a used pistol. I've had several and let some slip by to others for one reason or another. My present MK II is not for sale; not now, not ever. It is a 5.5" stainless bull barrel. I've used it for various purposes and it has yet to disappoint me. It normally needs a thorough cleaning every 1500 or so rounds to maintain flawless functioning, but other than that it is simply a load and shoot proposition with no worries. Match quality ammo produces outstanding accuracy and plain Jane bulk box ammo will allow plenty of small game accuracy for the pot or fun. I'd report on the number of times its been fired, but you probably wouldn't believe it.
    +1 on that one... we have the MK II target model and love the accuracy and reliability of it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Ruger MK-III 22/45 Stainless, great tack driver, looks better, and SS is awesome. Bought my son one in 2006 and kicked my self in the head for not buying 3 that day, one for my other son and myself for $265.00 at Elmendorf BX.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Ruger MK-III 22/45 Stainless, great tack driver, looks better, and SS is awesome. Bought my son one in 2006 and kicked my self in the head for not buying 3 that day, one for my other son and myself for $265.00 at Elmendorf BX.
    oh man.. at that price we should all be allowed to give ya a kick!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    oh man.. at that price we should all be allowed to give ya a kick!!!!

Believe me I deserve it. My oldest boy wanted one for Christmas so I got it for him. Didn't realize how well they shot and handled. Buy the time he opened it up a few months later on Christmas and we went out to shoot it I was hooked. Went back in late January due to working on Slope to get 2 more but the special deal was over. Now everytime I see one behind a counter, I sub-consciously re-live my gross error and kick myself in the butt.

Nobody likes the S&W 17? If I didn't already have one, one of these would be at the top of my wish list:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=151959250

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=152046882

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=151959250

All of 'em in great shape, and a great price too. Even threw in a newer 10-shot for those who like the added capacity.

I would look for a used S&W model 41. I see them now and again for around 500.00 but probably to rare of an occurance but with this economy you never know.

Second choice would be the ruger auto's

But once I got my 41 I have never looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    Nobody likes the S&W 17? If I didn't already have one, one of these would be at the top of my wish list:
    I love the K-22 handgun, though mine is an early 6 shot version. It is a near perfect handgun and it has been shot enough to wear out a few internal parts over the years. However, the OP wanted to possibly mount a scope and that would be sacrilege to me on the S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    ...However, the OP wanted to possibly mount a scope and that would be sacrilege to me on the S&W.
    I know what you mean, as I prefer the target iron sights as well. I shoot my 6" M17 with open sights quicker and more accurately than my 4" Buckmark with a red dot

On the other hand, I've shot quite a few scoped K-frames, and while they never seemed quite as balanced as a scoped N-frame they all shot very nicely...

ak02man,

Curious what uses you have in mind for the 22. Indoor competition shooting? Plinking? Hunting? A combination of the above?

What's the driving force behind wanting a 22 with a scope on it?

I have a Ruger Mark III Hunter, and as many have have said, it's a great gun to own. A Mark II with a bull barrel, used, might fit your budget better if you can't find a great sale price on a Mark III.

Depending on your use (this is why I asked), you might consider spending more on a gun minus the scope. The Mark III is a very good shooter and would serve many purposes I mentioned above without a scope. I don't have a scope on mine, and I like it that way. If you find a real need for a scope (like a vision issue) or just want to put one on it later, you could do so after saving up a little more money.

If you buy a Mark III Hunter, I doubt you'll ever need to replace it, and if you do replace it, you'll likely regret it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast