Thread: 375 h&h in tc pro hunter

Default 375 h&h in tc pro hunter

im thinking of getting a 375 h&H in a tc encore they come with a 28 inch berral im thinking off cutting down to 22 inches wuld this make a good main hunting rilfe or am i better of in a bolt action the bolt action wuld be a weatherby mark v synthetic

I hunted with an Encore for a few years and never felt any disadvantage to not having a bolt gun. The one thing to remember is to practice reloading a lot. I used a wrist cuff on my left arm and practiced shooting and reloading with A-Zoom snap caps. In most defensive situations you are only going to get one shot off any way, so the single shot isn't a great disadvantage, but in follow up shots on game you need to be able to reload quickly.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

For the cost a Ruger #1 would fit me better. I use three singles for hunting and feel no disadvantage

I dont think I would feel like I was at a huge disadvantage with a single shot but as another poster stated I would make it a Ruger #1. I just cant warm up to the TC, just a personal thing, if you like it then great. I say if I did get one I would go a step further and cut it to 20" but then again thats just what I prefer, though we obviously agree that 28" is rediculous.

The thing that gets me about the TC is that it costs about what a pretty nice used bolt action costs, and I think that you get more bang for the buck with a nice bolt gun, again just some stuff about the TC that makes me think its way overpriced.

Default sold

I had a T/C pro hunter, i sold it this spring. it seemed to shift point of impact just a little to much at times for no apparent reason. All in all I think they are OK but I would go with the Ruger #1 too.

In reading a number of forums that have firearms for sale, there seems to be quite a large number of T/C products being resold. That doesn't necessarily mean anything at all but certainly makes me wonder why.

the main thing i like abut the tc is that its light and it hase a flex thec stock with reduces recoil buy 43 %

Quote Originally Posted by luisss View Post
    im thinking of getting a 375 h&H in a tc encore they come with a 28 inch berral im thinking off cutting down to 22 inches wuld this make a good main hunting rilfe or am i better of in a bolt action the bolt action wuld be a weatherby mark v synthetic
    The .375H&H is my personal choice each fall, so you can imagine my thoughts about your choice. However, I'm a handloader, so I can somewhat contain the costs of that great old cartridge.

Regarding the TC...well two things. First, I wouldn't cut down the barrel that short. The break-open action is already much shorter than a bolt action, so you'll be surprised how short the overall length will be with even a 24" barrel. Second, I'm starting to sour on TC's for several reasons, and I'd personally suggest that you find another choice for a single shot...better yet, go with a bolt action.

Doc

Smile I agree with Doc

cutting a magnum barrel means loss of velocity and energy.

although a .375 Holland & Holland will work in a shorter barrel, one looses the desired effect of the hot round by the inch with a shorter length barrel. With that information, one can hand load a magnum cartridge with a faster burning powder to get the max effect on powder burn vs barrel length. Without boring you with the formulas and science behind this, I can tell you that up against a big bear, I would prefer a bolt gun to a single shot. Ruger #1 and #3's are totally awesome guns. I am a huge fan and own a few, but I prefer the bolt action for hunting any DG. If a big brown bear charges me up close then I prefer a Bradley scout vehicle with a 25mm Bushmaster chain gun

Savage makes a 116 in stainless that is a hard one to beat for an Alaska 375 H&H

I've been charged. Emptied my Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H on the bear that dropped seven paces from where I stood. It's been several years ago, but my heart still pounds when I think of that moment.

I'm not so sure the best gun would not be less than a Browning BAR Safari chambered in .375 Ruger.

Any custom gunsmith's willing to build me one?
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great