Thread: Arctic Gun Works

Default Arctic Gun Works

My son is considering sending a rifle off to Arctic Gun Works in Fairbanks to have Arctic Kote applied to his barrel and other metal parts. Have anyone out there dealt with AGW and was it positive or negative. Please PM any negative opinions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    My son is considering sending a rifle off to Arctic Gun Works in Fairbanks to have Arctic Kote applied to his barrel and other metal parts. Have anyone out there dealt with AGW and was it positive or negative. Please PM any negative opinions.

Thanks
    You'll get a lot of varied replies here. I had decent results when he installed a brake on one of my rifles, but a friend had issues when he took a rifle in for Arctic-cote. Gary fixed it, but not without a bunch of whining and crying. There are a few older posts that say it's the only place they'll have a gun worked on, and others (whom I respect a lot) wouldn't let him attach a sling to already installed swivels.

Have you considered RoBar? I can't imagine shipping would be much different, and the NP3 finish would be perfect for SE Alaska...

Thanks
    Opinions vary on the forum, but my experience with Gary has been all positive. He's not cheap, what in AK is cheap? However his work, communication and turn around time were impeccable IME.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Opinions vary on the forum, but my experience with Gary has been all positive. He's not cheap, what in AK is cheap? However his work, communication and turn around time were impeccable IME.
    Do you remember a ball park #$ for the finish work?

Thanks

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thanks
    `12 years ago 125.00
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks
    I have not used his Arctic Kote. I didn't intend to mislead you; I've used Gary for general gunsmith work and have been very satisfied. I was referring to his work in general and my impression of AGW rather than the coating you mentioned in particular. I would give him a call and see what he says concerning the price. Having dealt with many gunsmiths before he was among the easiest to speak with that I can remember.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i dont know the diff between the arctic and the dura... i have the arctic as i mentioned in PM...

i know a Great guy in wasilla that does the Dura... for really resonable prices... his name is ...

HUNT_AK
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Been in there 4 times, twice he was an A-hole and twice he was quite helpful... so Its been 50-50 for me. I know hes pricey but he knows his junk.

Pay the postage and send it to Ro-Bar. More durable, long lasting finish. Robbie Barkmann knows his stuff and will only do the best job.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I have a blued rifle I want that ceramic coating that they do at advanced coatings here in the valley. They put the same type of coating on hi perf pistons I heard
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I've been into his shop several times and he was helpful, and my dad's had a handgun Arctic Koted before. He wasn't all that impressed with the coating because it wore down pretty quickly from regular holster wear. He was also underwhelmed with Birdsong's Black T finish as I recall. He had other guns done by Robar that he was happier with.

I left there with a sour taste in my mouth one time I wanted him to do some basic work on one of my Marlins. He wanted to charge me a $70 "disassembly fee" right off the bat, so I took my business elsewhere (it takes a screwdriver and approximately 30 seconds to totally disassemble a Marlin lever action).
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

I went in there back in the 90s when I was going to UAF and asked about having some gunsmithing work done. Gary told me to that I needed to learn how to shoot better instead of having a custom barrel installed. I went on to make the President's 100 a couple of times, win a regional high power match, place in state championships, etc. He lost any business I could have given him.

Unless you are dead set on using him, I would go with Robar's Roguard or Birdsong's Black T. I have about half a dozen guns with Black T and one with Roguard. Both are good, but I prefer Black T. So do a lot of elite military and police units.

Thanks for the thread and pm responses.

Gary "can" do good work if he wants to.....used him a few times but won't anymore. There is better opportunities for your money else where. Gunbugs gave a good reference.

Default Arctic Gun Wroks aka Gary

I've used Gary for a guide rifle and he did a great job. He silvered sights on and a barrel band sling, coated the rifle and did my fitted the stock to my rifle.

Gary used to use Brownells Gunkote and I know he switched to ceramic coatings a few years back. A couple of things to remember Gary likes working on guns and he really doesn't have to. He's retired Army offcier and he doesn't hear all that well. My suggestion--speak up like you have a set! lol

My guide gun was carried daily in Yakatat and I have no marks on the rifle. It protected my carbon steel rifle from the salt and the rain.

I hear a lot of people say Gary is am a-hole, but you have to let him speak his mind. He does have an opinon and you'll hear about it. Honestly I am very picky about who works on my stuff and if I thought he'd screw up a pre 64 winchester .375 H&H I wouldn't have used him! I hope this helps!

Thanks paddle.

Send it to ro-bar.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by paddle2me View Post
    I hear a lot of people say Gary is am a-hole, but you have to let him speak his mind. He does have an opinon and you'll hear about it.

I'm not paying a gunsmith to mouth off to me. Fortunately there are some really nice people out there who do better work than Gary. They are currently getting my business.

I have had 3 guns done with the Arctic-Kote and 1 done with the ceramic finish and all have been flawless. Once you get past his initial bluster he's not a bad guy. He does have his opinions.........but then who doesn't! I will use him again when I want something coated.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)