Thread: carcano rifle

Default carcano rifle

I pulled a old rifle out of the closet that I forgot I had. I bought it years ago for very little and I had forgot about it. It is a Carcano Fat 41. On top of the barrel behind the rear sight is a crown with fat 41 stamped with it. The gun has a serial # B7613 and there is a mark under the serial # that I do not know what is. I got some ammo with the gun and it has 6 rounds in a stripper clip. The ammo is head stamped Carcano 6.5 Norma. The gun has a barrel band missing, other than that it is in good shape. I have tried to look it up on google and can find out very little about it. Can anyone give me information about it. Are these actions good for anything? Are the guns worth anything? Can you still get ammo for these? What bullet weight would these bullets be, they are very long. What time frame was it made in? Thanks for any help you can give me.

I used to have a british carcano, and fired .308 shorts....it was okay, but not that accurate.

I owned a 6.5 and shot it quite a bit back in the 1960's. At that time ammo was available from lots of sources, including really cheap surplus. But I've lost touch with the round and can't even tell you who loads for it today. I'd bet Norma for sure, and that's good because it was the best performer 50 years ago.

As for the action, it's not the strongest, and for that and the cocking action, it was rarely used as a basis for any custom rifles. They are loaded mild compared to a lot of other calibers specifically because of the action. Mine was plenty accurate with the military sights, but I was using it only as a plinker. I knew several guys who traded out the factory sights for Williams replacements and better hunting visibility. The round is by no means powerful, but they did well with it on deer.

Just a heads up. The Italians made Carcanos, not the brits. Those are Enfields.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Default Carcano 6.5

These rifles were the standard issue arm for the Italy from 1901 until the end of WWII. Many were sold surplus in the US in the 60s for $10 or so. I'm not sure what they are worth now but they are not highly desireable by most. Not much you can do with them as far as making a sporter rifle out of them. They also can be found in 7.35 and 8x57 mauser calibers.

Like French rifles most of these show little use other than being dropped once when the owners surrendered or ran away.

One of these - I think it was in 7.35 - was the rifle Oswald used to kill Kennedy.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Lee Harvy "used" a 6.5 Carcano depending on what conspiracy theory you subscribe to.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I looked for anything I could find on the net and found very little about the 6.5 Carcano. Then I googled 6.5 Carcano ammunition and found a lot on this gun. Graf & Sons has ammo and all reloading supplies for this round. When I bought this gun I had nothing in 6.5 caliber or nothing in a military style rifle. The gun was in good shape except for the missing barrel band so I brought it home. This gun I have only has one barrel band at the end of the stock. All tne pictures I saw of them has two barrel bands, one at end and one about a foot or so back from the end. What is the difference in these two styles?

Default 6.5 Italian

The 6.5 is a plesant round to shoot and a compact rifle to carry. It has enough power for anything in the lower 48.
    The one the thing you forgot to mention is do you have any clips for this rifle? If not this rifle is a single shot. The ammo is loaded on a clip and once the ammo is fed off the clip, it falls out the bottom of the magazine and may be reused.
    Last clips I sold at my gun store were I believe $4 each, so if you've got some don't lose'em. Norma still makes ammo for this rifle.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default 6.5X52mm Italian Carcano

That’s the rifle the Warren Commission says Lee Harvey picked up mail order in 1962 for $19.95 and shot JFK with. I had one for a while in the late 90s but never found enough brass for it and traded it to a JFK Movie buff for an SKS. Ammo and brass were harder to find than even 6.5 Jap at the time but that’s been ten years so it could be more has turned up someplace now.

There is some good info about the gun here on the JFK assassination rifle Wikipedia page.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F....sination_rifle
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Wink Most Carcano's are cut down 1891 Mannlichers

the Italian carcano carbines are the old 1891 Mannlichers from WW1 that were chambered to 6.5x52mm Mannlicher-Carcano. Several of these rifles were shipped off to Japan and over to Arabian countries, Finland and during WW2, to the NAZI's. Some variants were chambered in 6.5 x 50mm, and one in 7.35.

Norma makes 6.5 carcano factory loaded ammo and is still in production.
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great