Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How hunting will never be the same....

Default How hunting will never be the same....

We lost my godfather last night. Him and my dad introduced both my brother and I to the outdoors and we've shared countless campfires with him. I remember when I was 5 or 6 years old and Glenn and my dad came home with their first moose from their first ever moose hunt. We hung the meat in Glenn's basement and I remember how much I loved the smell and couldn't wait for them to return from future hunts to see if they were successful. After several years hunting with them, I finally took my first moose and I could see how proud both dad and Glenn were.

His health was poor due to heart and artery problems. He had survived much longer than many could have expected, and the last several years he came along on hunts and didn't do much, but you could see in his eyes it was truely where he wanted to be. We were lucky and found a young bull caribou on the river on his last Ivishak hunt which he shot. Earlier in the year he got a new ticker for his heart and had lost 25 pounds. He was talking about how much he looked forward to being able to get back up into the treestands at moose camp. Hard to believe he is gone after seeing how much better he was getting.

He was never married and had no kids... we were his family. He will be missed and moose camp, caribou camp, Chitina, Sunday dinners and family events won't be the same without him. I got the news last night about 10:30pm and it hit me pretty hard since I've never lost somebody real close to me. I had a fire in the fireplace and threw a large birch round on in his memory. I sat watching the fire burn out the log remembering the past with him.

Default Hate to here it

Sorry for your loss.

Sorry to hear that Jerod. I can tell you cherish those memories. Many have not been able to experience those kinds of things. It sounds like he was a blessing in your families life and I bet you were a blessing in his.

Default very sorry for your loss

sorry for your loss, glad you have so many good memories, Tom

Sounds like you had a great teacher! Sorry he passed away. Your memories of him on future hunts will live on. Another great reason to share the outdoors with friends & family. Take care, Justin

Condolences. Good hunting partners are hard to find.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I don't know you Jerod, but many of us know this shocking moment in time...and you describe it very well. Someone once told me to try to live my life in a manner that I would be missed by others if I was gone. It appears from your well told story that Glenn has done just that.

If it is any consolation, I know from experience that loosing someone is a process. Right now it's shock and business to get done. After that you may experience greater feelings of sadness. As you move forward keep in mind that the sadness you feel is normal, and with time it will decrease in frequency, intensity and duration (although not linearly...it's more like a wave). However, you will always miss Glenn when you think of him...which is a good thing, I think.

I hope that I have not been out of line offering supportive comments. My condolences, sir.

Doc

Sorry for your loss... you have the memories, We will all be there some day and we'll see all them on the otherside.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Jerod, i am truly sorry, some of my fondest memories were trips with my grandfather, while my own dad was deployed or on duty.
    i sat with him as he passed 21 years ago last Dec 21st. there is a connection at times with our grandparents that travels deep within... best wishes and deepest regards from my family to yours..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

You have my deepest condolences Jerod.

Default New purpose

I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe he had an old favorite firearm or bow you could take out this new year to honor him.

Hang in there brother and keep the tradition alive.

Thumbs up traditions...

Jerod,
    I agree with BigHorse, that you need to keep the tradition alive.
    While your God Fathers passing is a tremoundous loss, it is very correct for you, now, to carry on the tradition by mentoring new, young minds.

And while you mentor these new young minds in the outdoors skills that Glen taught you, Glen will be there every moment.

Best wishes and deepest regards...

Dennis

Thank you all for the kind comments. I appreciate all of them and can tell they are sincere. We are going to have a celebration of life next Saturday followed by a dinner for the family.

I didn't mention before, but we were very concerned because we could not find his dog Daisy when we got the news and went to his house. Today my dad got in contact with the Paramedic and found out that he took Daisy home as the pounds were not open and he did not want to put her in a small kennel. Daisy has a new home now at my brothers house that she is familiar with as they took care of her numerous times when Glenn was not home.

Looks like we have a lot of work to do because, well... Glenn didn't like to get rid of anything. He was a loyal and true KUAC and Red Green fan.

Default Memories...

So sorry for your loss Jerod. Time is a healer and as you move forward, you'll cherish the memories, that are worth more than money can buy. As others have mentioned, pick up the torch, and take a kid out hunting or to share the great outdoors that we are so blessed with up here. Thus begins your legacy...

Sounds like a great guy. Keep and share everything that learned from him. Prayers offered for him, as well as his friends and family.

Jerod,

My deepest condolence to you and your family as you go through this hard time. I know from experience it is a very dificult thing to let go and work through all the feelings. It sounds like you have many fond memories of your time with Glenn. Those memories will bring a smile to your face in the days ahead as you grieve.

David

Default You're in our prayers.

This is what the brotherhood of sportsman's is all about. I'm honored that you took the time to share your memories of such an outstanding friend and mentor. He is the example of what we should strive to be for our children.

Sorry for your loss.I would guess he is doing fine teaching woods craft in heaven to youngsters that left our world long before their time. God Bless

Default Sorry for your loss

Jerod,

First off my deepest condolences go out to your entire family I can only imagine your pain.I think your on the right track I like how you took the time to reflect and put the birch round on the fire. Those memories will last you a lifetime and hopefully you to will be a father someday or already are. You can share those memories with your son and create new ones that our everlasting.

Its funny how we remember those things as a young child our first hunt or our first fishing trip.One fathers day I took the time to write a letter to my father about my first fishing trip and my first whitetail deer hunt.I thanked him for that as I consider that the greatest gift I ever received in my life. Now I am 35 yrs old no children as of yet but I hope to someday to give that gift back to a son or a great friend.I love to hunt and it's not the reason of killing but its the memories created that makes me have this passion to hunt.I harvested my first ram a 39in broomed on one side this past year and it was on the top of my bucket list I wish I would have had a close friend like yours to share it with me.

Keep your head up buddy and if you ever up in Fairbanks I like to buy you a drink.

BIG 27, Tim

Default Jerod

Sorry for your loss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast