Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Tags for Animals

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Coffman Cove, POW, Alaska
    Posts
    753

    Default Tags for Animals

    Hey folks I have been kicking around an idea and looking for pros and cons. Im most state where you hunt when you kill an animal there is a harvest tag that has to be attached to the animal itsself, Currently we just mark our harvest ticket and off we go.

    Should we do this in AK? My reason for concern is recycled tags for animals most notably deer. Thoughts?

    Also why don't we have computer based licenses that print out like most states? A lot less work for F&G.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

  2. #2
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Hey folks I have been kicking around an idea and looking for pros and cons. Im most state where you hunt when you kill an animal there is a harvest tag that has to be attached to the animal itsself, Currently we just mark our harvest ticket and off we go.

    Should we do this in AK? My reason for concern is recycled tags for animals most notably deer. Thoughts?

    Also why don't we have computer based licenses that print out like most states? A lot less work for F&G.
    How would affixed tags work in cases where the animal is boned out at the kill site and the head/hide aren't removed from the field? There have been many cases where I have taken home the meat only, so there isn't much to attach the tag to.

    As for computer based licenses, it seems like ADF&G is going down that road. I already buy my hunting/fishing license online and this year also got my black bear harvest tickets online and printed them at home. You can also get caribou harvest tickets online along with a number of registration permits. Hopefully they'll expand this to sheep, moose, and deer tags next year. It's got to save them money, and the convenience factor is nice as well.

  3. #3
    Member Chisana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Juneau, Alaska
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    The logic of this idea seems similar to that used when we ended up with plugs in our sheep horns. "It's the way they do it in the lower 48". It is a solution looking for a problem.

    I completely agree about moving more services online, but don't we already have online license applications? I purchased mine online last week.

  4. #4
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    The logic of this idea seems similar to that used when we ended up with plugs in our sheep horns. "It's the way they do it in the lower 48". It is a solution looking for a problem.

    I completely agree about moving more services online, but don't we already have online license applications? I purchased mine online last week.

    hey maybe we can play too... we'll get the lower 48 to do it the alaska way...

    all animals must be tagged BEFORE being harvested....

    ( I won't tell, if you won't tell....)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Coffman Cove, POW, Alaska
    Posts
    753

    Default Better Explanation

    I guess it would be a PITA for some critters I guess my focus was on deer. I don't agree it's like the sheep thing, just a way to actually TAG an animal you harvest. It's a harvest card attached to the critter.

    I don't keep racks sometimes either if boned out, the tag could be attached to the gamebag?

    Computer stuff - yes we are going the way of computers but why not have a system that scans our license and prints out a deer/fishing/trapping license? Need a moose tag, same thing. I guess I was trying to make the process easier than the archaic system ADFG uses. Lett data entry, quicker turn around, whatever. In the bush folks can still continue to do paper but they're connected in most villages. The scanner looks like a little UPS reader that I have used in other states. In Michigan the license that is printed comes out on a heavy duty rip proof sticker that can then be used as the harvest tag for the animal. Not trying to copy th lower 48 but hey why stay in the stone ages.

    No one in PM's has been positive about it so I will let it go. Here's what prompted this for me:

    Folks recycle deer tags, plain and simple, or just don't tag deer. I tought this may help. Trooper pulls up to rig, folks can cut out tags. Hard to jump out and put a tag on one though.

    Weird one - guys go out in a boat shoot some deer. Joe Bob says hey guys we can hang them under my covered porch and butcher them as a group. Sweet everyone says. Troopers shows up after a call to check the deer. Trooper asks whose deer they are. Hunter says Mine, Leroys, and Mo's. Trooper says you can't have their deer at your residence without a transfer of posession form.

    So if folks could attach a tag to the deer would that help this situation? Troopers wouldn't have to worry about JoeBob calling Mo to tell him to punch his tags before the trooper shows. I have had friends hang deer at my place as we butcher them there but I won't now that I heard this.

    Have I overthought it?
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

  6. #6
    Member Chisana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Juneau, Alaska
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Have I overthought it?
    No you haven't. What you are saying makes sense.

    I wouldn't mind being able to get my harvest tickets online. I once showed up in Anchorage the night before I was supposed to drive out to sheep mountain to fly out for a sheep hunt. None of the Fred Meyers in Anc had any sheep tags left. Luckily we got to the Palmer Fred Meyer before they closed and they had sheep tags. Online and through the mail would have alleviated that.

  7. #7
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post

    I wouldn't mind being able to get my harvest tickets online.
    Again, I'd bet that's coming this next year. We already have that ability with caribou and black bear, so reason would follow that other species will follow.

  8. #8
    Member Chisana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Juneau, Alaska
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Again, I'd bet that's coming this next year. We already have that ability with caribou and black bear, so reason would follow that other species will follow.
    Seems reasonable Brian.

  9. #9

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    I don't keep racks sometimes either if boned out, the tag could be attached to the gamebag?
    I have recycled every game bag I have ever owned. I have yet to recycle a harvest report, save a time or two when I had to use them for firestarters. Somewhere in all this I see a flaw in the rationale.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10
    Member icb12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Weird one - guys go out in a boat shoot some deer. Joe Bob says hey guys we can hang them under my covered porch and butcher them as a group. Sweet everyone says. Troopers shows up after a call to check the deer. Trooper asks whose deer they are. Hunter says Mine, Leroys, and Mo's. Trooper says you can't have their deer at your residence without a transfer of posession form.
    I heard about that! I was in Coffman a couple weeks ago taking pictures of Brian Thomas(?) house and Dan's new duplex he's trying to sell. Was BSing with Dan and he mentioned that the new trooper had busted some guys for a lack of transfer form..

    Sounds like a big crock to me, some trooper man swinging his weight around.

    As to the original question, I'm not sure about locking tags.. The majority of people recycling tags now are going to be doing the same thing with locking tags-one way or another. People are going to poach deer locking tags or not. It would help a little, in certain situations, but not enough to warrant their use IMO.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Coffman Cove, POW, Alaska
    Posts
    753

    Default Troopers

    Pretty funny huh? Next time you're in coffman stop by for coffee.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    I don't quite see the advantage of putting the tag on the animal. What's the real difference between punching the tag and having it with you and putting it on the animal in some way, whether on a game bag or other way? I don't see a real reason to change it and I do hate doing thiogns just becasue they do it that way in the lower 48 or elsewhere.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •