Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mis priced item. Need your opinion

Default Mis priced item. Need your opinion

I was at Sportsman in Anchorage last Wednesday trying to buy an inflateable life jacket.
    The price tag said 119.99. At the register it rang up at 199.99. Needless to say the assisant manager would honor their mistake. I left there with a bad taste in my mouth.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have seen many mis prced items in SW here in fairbanks when they first opened and during peaks of some seasons...

they Never honored the mistake and simply said well it's wrong.. so take it or leave it.. i always left it. game cams was a big one for me.. 70.00 differences. seems when the new stock comes in all the stock gets the priced raised to match if it does not get a new sticker it will get fixed at the register.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Lowest advertised price

I've fought this battle several times, with other businesses, and won every time. From hard goods to gasoline.
    One gas station had gas advertised on the big sign at a low price. I pulled in and filled up only due to that advertised price. Lo and behold they tried to charge me more. I said hell no, call the cops, I am not paying it.
    My point was I would have never stopped if the price they tried to charge me, which was higher than surrounding stations, was advertised on the big sign. They were angry, but I won.
    I've done the same thing at stores. How often do you go into a leading grocery store, choose an item that is on sale, and they charge you more at the checkout? I've never paid the higher price, always the lowest advertised price.
    I shop at a couple of places that price items by hand. You can find differences in some items if you look. I don't expect them to sell each item at the cheapest price I find, but if they are all on "sale" for less, then I'll hold them to it.
    I'd go back to Sportsmans, check to see if they changed the price, and if not, I'd go buy it. If they argued the price, I would point out that they obviously new of their error from your previous visit, and chose to leave the item out for sale at a lower price. I'd stand in line and let everybody in hearing range know what was happening. I'd take a camera if needed and take a photo of the tag just to drive home the point.
    Yeah, you are right, every once in a while I go out of my way to make a point, especially when I think somebody is taking advantage on purpose. You have to assume that they were hoping you would pay the higher price instead of arguing for the lower. And that is wrong on their account.

im with RR , first of all, there overhead can cover it. it was their mistake, not yours and if you go back there and refuse to sell you something that is marked lower, tell them then that you charge the difference in the time you wasted bringing it to the counter.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Aphone call to the head office is usually very effective. I was in retail for years and one call, near the beginning of my career, went to the CEO who personally directed me to resolve the problem and call him back with a report of how it was left with the customer. I never had anyone go over my head again.....and I am sure most store managers think the same way BUT - if they don't, then make that call or send a fax or letter.....e-mails don't have the same impact.

I would also contact the state attorney general's office as a store has to maintain a standard of over 98% accuracy in pricing and the state sends monitors around to check.

Don't accept being jacked around. Obviously if a $199. item is marked at $19. it was a simple error and the retailer should not be held responsible for honoring that price. Marked at $119 and ringing at $199 I'd guess that the price of $119 is stateside and the $199 is the Fairbanks price cause you guys are all rich up there

Default other options

Quote Originally Posted by akfly View Post
    I was at Sportsman in Anchorage last Wednesday trying to buy an inflateable life jacket.
    The price tag said 119.99. At the register it rang up at 199.99. Needless to say the assisant manager would honor their mistake. I left there with a bad taste in my mouth.
    If you purchased the item using a credit card, take a picture of the price tag with the lower price on it, call your credit card company and put in a dispute. the card company will freeze the payment and contact sportsmans for you. with the pic on your side and the credit card company telling sportsmens that they will only pay the amount on the price tag sportsmens may relent quicker.

my philosophy has always been to be precise, non-hostile and have a "big gun" partner in your hip pocket..

good luck.

I think 119.99 is a typographical mistake. And perhaps the store should honor it in good faith if they were advertising it like crazy to get people to come in, but if they didn't I would not make a big deal out of it either as I understand that people and businesses do make mistakes. I personally love having a store like Sportman's up here as I remember how high prices were everywhere before they showed up. With their recent bankruptcy troubles I am very glad they didn't consolidate and pack it up like other businesses have done. But, I understand your dissapointment and feel for you. Is 199.99 a good price for it?

Doesn't the OP state that the AM 'would' honor their mistake? Dont know what everyone else gleans from it...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Doesn't the OP state that the AM 'would' honor their mistake? Dont know what everyone else gleans from it...
    Why yes it did. However the power of inferences and the "left with a sour taste in my mouth," lead us to he forgot the word "not" in the OP. It also could mean he bought some of their nasty jerky.....lol

I've seen tags mismarked at many stores. SW has the largest inventory of outdoor gear in 1 place...mistakes happen. If they honored it, then all is well, right?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Lets get a Cabelas or Bass Pro up here, Sportsmans sux....anyone know why there isn't one of the others here somewhere?
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Lets get a Cabelas or Bass Pro up here, Sportsmans sux....anyone know why there isn't one of the others here somewhere?
    600,000 in the entire state... 2,000,000-3,000,000 or more in each city or surrounding area those stores live...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Not quite

Billings has 150,000 people. Anchorage has more people than Billings. Same goes for the Cabelas in Rapid City, SD.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    600,000 in the entire state... 2,000,000-3,000,000 or more in each city or surrounding area those stores live...
    With all the hunters and fisherman up here they'd have MORE than enough business. You'd have people coming from all over to shop there. I guarantee people would drive from Fairbanks, Valdez, Homer....you name it. Not to mention all of the out-of-staters that come here for the hunting and fishing. If they stock it right they would do very well. Put a big section in for saltwater. Put in a well stocked and staffed fly fishing section and salmon section. The hunting department geared towards big game and waterfowl. One of those stores would do just fine up here
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    With all the hunters and fisherman up here they'd have MORE than enough business. You'd have people coming from all over to shop there. I guarantee people would drive from Fairbanks, Valdez, Homer....you name it. Not to mention all of the out-of-staters that come here for the hunting and fishing. If they stock it right they would do very well. Put a big section in for saltwater. Put in a well stocked and staffed fly fishing section and salmon section. The hunting department geared towards big game and waterfowl. One of those stores would do just fine up here
    I think you are right, a store like Cabelas would do really well here. In Spokane, rumor has it that Cabelas in Post Falls ran Sportman's out of the area due to too much competition. A number of guides would be buying from them like crazy as Cabelas have good discounted prices. The location would be hard to choose though. Of course I am biased and would want a valley location (Palmer would say no as Cabelas resembles a box store...) but South Anchorage would probably be better. At any rate, back the original post, did SW honor the price or not?

Don't forget however that if Cabelas came to Alaska the prices would be 10-15% higher than stateside just like most of the other retailers here....and their own catalog would be their biggest competition. You know how that works right? Go to the store to check out the product and then order it cheaper on line.

I think they might consider it but will look very closely at how Kohls, Target and other newcomers to our market do in the next year or two. If something big economically doesn't happen - like a gas line - I don't expect them to come here but I have been wrong before.

Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    Billings has 150,000 people. Anchorage has more people than Billings. Same goes for the Cabelas in Rapid City, SD.
    If you will notice both stores are interstate 90. As well as the Mitchel S.D. store. They rely on the traffic from the interstate to help out. Being from the Rapid City area I know it took along time to get them to come there..

Wink there is a cabelas at my house....

it's on the table next to the computer.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default re

Don't forget the Kearney, Nebraska store. Kearney only has 30,000 - I grew up there and worked in that fishing department for 2 years. It's not on the interstate and a pain in the butt to find. Finally, it doesn't feature any fish tanks or mountains. Just an old manufacturing warehouse.

Funny thing is it sells more per square foot than any other store. Place was constantly packed.

Now, in my time here in the bush, I have found Cabela's to be one of the faster shippers. Seems things are here in less than a week consistently. It is nice to inspect in person though.

Default Cabela's Store

Rumor has it that Cabela's tried to put a store in Anchorage, but the city would not work with them on access requirements. Not sure of the facts on this one, but I do know an attempt was made.

Pricing:
    I would think we would want the item priced correctly and pay the price that is correct for the item or decide not to purchase. If the correct price is 199 and the tag was miss-labeled, I would not get a bad taste in my mouth because I could not beat the store out of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast