Got out a few weeks ago on Dec.9th with my two kids and a good friend in his boat out of Whittier with a great forecast for five days. It was really nice leaving the harbor and passage canal. Then we hit the fog at Pigot pt. The water was flat and temperature was 30 deg., but with the limited daylight the slow cruise interfered with the plan a little. After arriving at planned destination and realizing beach cruising was out due to fog, I made a trip ashore with the kids to check out sign. The snow was 8" to 10" deep and as hard as oak (very, very noisy) however substantial sign on and near the beaches seemed encouraging. Several more trips to shore turned up lots more sign but no sighting of deer. My daughter and I hunted right to dark 4:45PM and cruised the raft back toward the lights on the boat for a warm dinner and plenty of sleep. By morning the forecast had changed for the worse with passage calling for 35 Knots by the following day. We decided to hunt until early afternoon then head back. My five year old and I made a trip through an area with lots of sign, but I don't think anybody is going to kill a deer with him by your side (quiet is not in a five year olds vocabulary). He was still a lot of fun and few partners have ever gotten so excited over deer tracks as he did. I had set a mink set and an otter set the previous day but neither had connected over night. We headed to one last spot to try and with a little over 2 hours before we would have to leave I made a short trip by myself while the kids and steve played rummy. Once I landed the raft and picked a plan I moved off the beach and didn't walk one minute before bumping a deer out of a bed. I saw it several times but never could get a shot. I followed the tracks about ten minutes but it was clear it was really moving. I began to drop off the ridge it went up, into some thick timber on a sidehill. I stopped at the top inside the timber where I could see a little ways, after pausing about 20 seconds a deer leapt from a bed bounding out the bottom. It stopped for almost a minute within earshot but I never could get a visual and it eventually walked out the bottom towards the beach. With time running out I dropped back to the beach to walk the quarter mile or so to the raft. The deer from in the timber hit the beach and went the opposite direction. As I approached the raft, about 75 yds away, I glance into a small dry bight in the beach and staring back at me is a deer 75 feet away. Without any hesitation I gave it a 150 gr. interlock between the shoulder and sternum. It darted out of sight up into the bight. I walked about 20 feet towards the bight for a look at where it went and there stands another deer staring at me. I obliged this deer with a quick shot in the same place knocking it down without a step. A few more step into the bight let me see the first deers feet 20 ft from the second. I pulled the raft over to within 30 ft and loaded them both in. A ten minute raft idle had me back at the boat to get the kids for a gutting lesson. We were back in the harbor right at dark in the predicted 30 knot wind, the last 20 minutes was a bit sloppy. The big doe was extremely fat as can be seen in the picture in the garage. It was fun to keep the kids out of school and have them along, and my buddy Steve is always great to do things with. We got some great steaks and burger and enjoyed ribs from the fawn the night before I had to go back to work. It does take a alot of prep and re-winterizing effort to go but it was worth it.