Thread: Power Auger Fun

Default Power Auger Fun

I am relatively new to the Icefishing game, having never seen ice thick enough to walk upon until moving here a few years ago. But i get a heck of a kick out of ice fishing even by myself and when other say I'm crazy to be out its so cold.

Until recently I had only a little 6" hand auger to drill my holes with, and that gets tiresome when you have more than about 8" of ice to drill through. So I was thinking about investing in a power auger when my boss says "O you don't need to buy one I have an extra you can borrow for as long as you like". So I go to the shop on a Saturday and play with it a little and pretty soon she fires right up and I think" Hey I'm in business now". Funny thing is he tells me that he got this bad boy second hand back in 1980, quite a bit before I was even born, and it is a beast.

It is an Ardis Quick Digger and it looks like something straight out of a 1950 Sears catalog, its huge, weighs an easy 40lbs maybe more. And it is a 4 stroke, The even stranger part is everything about it seems to be left handed. The auger turns to the left, the throttle is on the left, and the pull rope seems to be on the wrong side for a right handed user. And brother let me tell you when you fire it up you know its running, darn thing sounds like a drag car out there, and no it doesn't have a muffler.

But hey I get to use it rent free so I took it to a local lake to try it out the other day, and whataya know. Seems the last guy he loaned it to used it to drill postholes in the yard and it wouldn't drill at all. Even brought back some not too fond memories from childhood of running a 90lb jackhammer, tooth jarring to say the least. The blade was beyond sharpening, so me and another friend made a blade for it out of a peice of good quality stainless steel in his garage. With the new blade installed it was back to the lake for round 2, and I must say Sorry to anyone who lives on Delong lake, for your 9:30PM wakeup call the other night. Did I mention this sucker is loud?

So now it will cut a hole with the best of them, albeit noisily, and I can't wait to get over this cold to go try it out. It is the best free ice auger I've ever got and I have lovingly nicknamed it "The Basturd". So if you are out on the ice and you hear a loud noise, relax its not a new dragstrip nearby, its just me trying to get a hole drilled.

Thanks for posting! Sounds like it was used to test ice thickness during the construction of the Alaska Highway! Kudos to you and your buddy for making a new blade for it...sounds like your ingenuity paid off! Rep comin your way.

Souds like your going to have some fun with it.
    Make sure you use ear plugs when you run it.
    Don't want to go deaf because of it.
    Carson

Right on! We definitely need to see a picture of this thing and possibly video of it in action...

Default Maybe a pic later

I might get a pic up sometime in the future, as I'm cameraless at the moment, and headed to Dallas tonight. I'll be back in 2 weeks, and legend has it that Santa may have left me a camera down at my folks' house.