Thread: Anchorage shops

Default Anchorage shops

I will be traveling to Anchorage next week and need a few items (powder measure, Priming powder horn, etc.). Anyone know of any shops in Anchorage that would carry such items? I know there is a Sportsmans Warehouse, but I am looking for other non chain store shops.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alaskan100

The only one I know of other than SW is Great Northern Guns. I actually haven't been into GNG since I get to Anchorage so seldom. The SW around the country vary so much in what they stock in muzzleloading accessories, there's no way to be sure what they have without going there. But often they have a bigger selection than locally owned stores.

It's usually a combination of trips to get everything I need between Sportsman and Chino's out in the valley. I live in Wasilla, but I have picked up items in the Anchorage Sportsman store and after they emerged from Bankruptcy this year, their blackpowder accessories rebounded.

It's not easy finding things like that. It was like pulling teeth last spring to pick up any 3F powder. Horns and percussion caps were out of the question. I ended up settling for 2F powder, and a few tins of really old caps. About half of the caps actually worked. Was never able to find a horn for powder, so I've still been using that cheap plastic flask that came with the revolver my wife got me for Valentine's Day. I looked for .451 round balls for a long time, and gave up on it.

Couldn't say if it's any better now, been out of state since June, hopefully I can remedy that soon...

Best bet is probably to either make or order all the non-"explosive" items yourself and then just focus on getting your powder and/or caps when you can. From what I've heard, Fairbanks area should be just as good in terms of finding powder and caps.

Great guns has some stuff and sportmans has alot and also you can oder from cablea's takes about 7 to 9 days for it to get here. I get pretty much everything but powder from cablea's free shipping if you spend over 100 dollars.

And if you're into building things from accessories to guns, Track of the Wolf in Minnesota and online is an outstanding source. Probably more pre-made stuff than anywhere else, too. I tithe regularly to them! Be really careful going through their pages (and pages and pages and pages) of used guns, though. It can really hurt your wallet. The Gun Works in Springfield, OR, and also online is just about as "bad."

Wow i should have looked at that site I ended up buying one of these. 50cal, 209 primer pistol should be fun and hard on the wrist....

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    And if you're into building things from accessories to guns, Track of the Wolf in Minnesota and online is an outstanding source. Probably more pre-made stuff than anywhere else, too. I tithe regularly to them! Be really careful going through their pages (and pages and pages and pages) of used guns, though. It can really hurt your wallet. The Gun Works in Springfield, OR, and also online is just about as "bad."
    Attached Images Attached Images

abirurn09

Default Anchorage shops

I want to... I have a place to stay... just gotta worry about a ride. anyone gonna be making the trip in and out of anchorage over the weekend?