Thread: Remington 1100 Safety question...

Default Remington 1100 Safety question...

I've just aquired a Remington 1100 youth LT-20 for myself...loving how small it is compared to the full-sized Stoeger I shook.

Gunbugs, The Kid, etc: Can you switch the safety button on the trigger guard to operate in reverse (push to the right to fire with left hand)

When hunting bunnies and whatnot, I usually am walking with one in the throat and the safety on and its a pain to reach under and around the triggerguard to push the safety to fire...

If I remember right, you can't get there from here. At the very least, it would require a new trigger plate, (housing). But as I remember the carrier operates off the other side as well. I've only got RH trigger plates to look at, no LH to compare and my memory is a bit foggy on this one. I do know you can't just flip the button.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

hunt ak, do you shoot left handed? You must if you have to reach to the off side of the trigger to move the safety off. To my knowledge the safety can't be reversed. It has been awhile since I was in a Remington trigger so I'm having to trust my memory, which is suspect. I am right handed so the factory set up works for me. Again trusting my memory, an 1100 trigger will interchange between other 1100's (perhaps 870's/1187's also) and Remington makes a left hand version of the 1100. Perhaps the left hand 1100 trigger has a safety that works as you would like. You'd probably have to call Remington to find out for sure.

I have the same shotgun as you and I really like that gun. It makes a really good tactical type shotgun although it only holds four rounds in the standard magazine. It doesn't really fit well for adults so if you decide to shoot some heavy and fast rounds be prepared for some pretty stiff recoil. For small game loads recoil usually isn't an issue.

Dan

Thanks for the replies, guys

Yes, I shoot lefty. I'm not the biggest feller around, and this little shotgun seems to fit OK so far (only handled it for a few minutes and have been away from the house since...

Potentially good news for me, I guess. Is this/would this be an expensive 'operation' for this little 20?

Something like this?

Ever seen or installed one of those?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Something like this?

Ever seen or installed one of those?
    Nope, never even heard of such a thing. This would certainly lead me to believe it is possible to change a standard safety to a south paw on just about any Remington. Were I you I would do a little more research and see if you can find who made this thing and give them a call. "Fortmann's Left Hand Safety Conversion", never heard of Fortmann either. It actually may be as simple as just replaing this part. My GF shoots an 1100 for Trap and she is a south paw. Let me know what you find out about this as I might make the switch on her gun.

Dan

To convert a standard one you have to modify the triggergroup and get a new button. I believe that it might be worth a shot to grab one of the conversion ones from midway and give it a try, as that would definately be the cheaper route.

Just for future reference one of my favorite shotgun designs, the Ithaca 37 can be changed just by removing the button and replacing it in reverse, making it nearly 100% ambidextrious because of the bottom ejection, they are also very light to carry. Just something for you lefty guys to keep in mind in your wanderings.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Just for future reference one of my favorite shotgun designs, the Ithaca 37 can be changed just by removing the button and replacing it in reverse, making it nearly 100% ambidextrious because of the bottom ejection, they are also very light to carry. Just something for you lefty guys to keep in mind in your wanderings.
    Duly noted

Well, I think I may grab one and see if I can put her in myself...if not I'll cry for help

hap

I have made a number of 870 tang safeties and it is fairly simple and straight-forward for the handy...
    art

How'd the fit and finish look? Do you have any pictures?

hap

I can take some and will the next time I get close to that mode... Should not be long.

Fit and finish are entirely what you make of it.