Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A fitting end to 2009! Ptarmigan hunting.

Default A fitting end to 2009! Ptarmigan hunting.

Took just my pup out hunting this morning before dawn. Left the other dogs whining in their crates. Wanted some one-on-one time with young Charlie, and had a blast! Only took one rock ptarmigan, but that's just fine. Here are a few snaps of the hunt.

Charlie has got them pinned!

Happy New Year!

Jim

Man, that third picture with your dog on point is one of the best hunting pictures I have ever seen on here. Awesome! Also very cool that you captured just a hint of the partial lunar eclipse on that first shot. You can see the effect of the earth's shadow at the bottom of the moon, slightly off to the right. Thanks for sharing!

Fantastic stuff Jim, very nice lookin pup. Does the work come easy for the britts? Or are you just that good of trainer? ;-)

Gorgeous shots btw.

Beautiful pics, and way to get the young pup some training. I bet he was extatic over that bird. Way to close out the year.

Default Enjoyed the post...

and your book.

Thanks!

Default Excellent dog and habitat pictures

Jim,
    I just finished your book one hour ago that was a Christmas gift from
    our son who is working on his PHD at UAF.
    The book is a great read and your hunting ethics are shared by
    our entire family.
    You folks are really tough that winter in Alaska. It is great that you get the
    occasional winter reward these pictures depict!

Thanks for all of the kind words about my photos and my book. Man, I love this upland hunting stuf!

Wolf0994,

Well, I've trained lots of dogs over the decades, and horses, too. I guess I learned something along the way. But a couple of big secrets I'll let you in on: buy a pup with great genetics, and get him into lots of birds, as often as you possibly can. I hunt a lot! And because we live in a target rich environment, and because I also train both rookie and advanced pro on pigeons all summer, my dogs get the training they need to be top producing dogs. Are they the greatest pointing dogs that ever lived? I doubt it. But they're the greatest pointing dogs in my little part of the world.

Here are a few more photos from yesterday.

Day is breaking over the Alaska Range.

Only allowed 4 images per post, so I'll add a few more after this. I think I'll show a few more of young Charlie this past fall. Someday I'll include photos of my other dogs. They haven't been getting their just reward in front of the camera lately.

Jim

Charlie also does well on ruffed grouse and sharp-tailed grouse, by the way. He's only about 20 months old, but he sure does it all, and does it well. Can't tell him from one of my older dogs most of the time. The only thing he needs to work on is developing his woodcraft, but that takes time, and that brings wisdom as well.

And Charlie with a winter-white ptarmigan in a very dark world. One day up along the Denali Highway this past October when the snow melted over night and left the ptarmigan in a dangerous position. Most flew to higher elevations seeking snow for camouflage, but a few remained lower. They were very skittish, and I can't say as I blame them.

Jim

Default awesome pics

Jim, thanks for the sharing the pics. My pup is only 4 months old and I can't wait to take him out. I guess I'll have to go ahead and check out your book.
    Thanks again

BNKWNTO,

Thanks for the kind words. And I hope you enjoy reading the book as much as I enjoyed doing the research.

Jim

Great post! Those are fantastic pictures of some beautiful country.
    Thanks for sharing!

Do us a favor and NEVER FORGET your camera. Great job!

Thank you, Hunt_AK!

Jim

Default Sharing spots

Looking at the Pics. I think we might be sharing some of the same hunting grounds. Except for the gauge we just about have the same RBL too. Different dogs though,I'm a spaniel guy.

Hope you have good hunting in the new year.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Same to you, Lynch! Spaniels and labs are too hard to keep up with for me these days. Which RBL do you have?

Take care,

Jim

Thumbs up

Awesome pics!!!

Default Thanks, HunterIam!

Glad you enjoyed them.

Jim

Default nice shots

I am starting to get a picture of your hunting terrain....nice to have that available.
    I would like to find something a little less steep around here :-) ....But I might not care for the extreme temps that seem to cling to your area....I guess it is all about trade offs and balance ...

Default My Final hunt of 2009

was the hardest I had ever done for the little white birds. Snowshoeing up steep terrain to get to the wind swept areas....then back down again. Snow shoes were on again and off again.... post holing was horrendous.....some places were so hard and steep I was riding my fanny down the mountain at high speeds (not on purpose either)! After about 4.5 hours of humping around we found birds. Birds were half roadrunner. Pie (my Britt) was pointing and herding and doing her best. we worked the flock for about 45 minutes. I finally got around in front of them and had a shot and click....firing pin was frozen, aargh! Must have gotten snow in the break action during one of my many stumble and falling episodes. I have never had that happen before.
    I was exhausted and we were just about out of light....Pie was disappointed when I said we had to let them go ....for now! But she didnt argue much when we turned and headed for the truck, she too was worn out. Despite the hard work, and no birds in the bag it was a beautiful day and I enjoyed every minute (almost) We shall return and show them birds!

not as nice of a photo, but I will remember that grueling day
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great story Burke! And nice pic to boot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast