Thread: FULL MOON tonight

Default FULL MOON tonight

See the size of that sucker tonight, it's nice and clear might have to go do some moonlight calling
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I can't make it out tonight, but I think I'm going to try to give it a shot tomorrow night. I just got home from out of state, so haven't been able to observe the moon lately. What time in the evening is it reasonably high, as in high enough that it would illuminate a relatively wide valley? Trying to plan my drive and hike accordingly.

Oh yeah, and if anyone wants to let me borrow your e-caller tomorrow night, just let me know!

Default Blue moon

Only happens every 19 years on new years eve. Crazy! Sounds like a good night to call. Hillbilly

I've read some akward accounts of animals acting wierd during full moon or eclipse, but I spotted 17 cows w/ calves, 1 lynx and 2 fox in a 1 mile stretch of road lastnight.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Bringing in the new year

I'll do that with my wife and then try to head for the hills. It will be warmer up high around Fairbanks. The thought of sitting on the river, the lowest point around, just does not sound too fun, but then again, maybe nobody else will be there.
    Oops, just looked at the temperature inversions. Last night it was about +9 in the hills above FAI, tonight it looks closer to 0. Still that is better than -25.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I can't make it out tonight, but I think I'm going to try to give it a shot tomorrow night. I just got home from out of state, so haven't been able to observe the moon lately. What time in the evening is it reasonably high, as in high enough that it would illuminate a relatively wide valley? Trying to plan my drive and hike accordingly.

Oh yeah, and if anyone wants to let me borrow your e-caller tomorrow night, just let me know!
    Brian I'm always into doing the right thing so I will offer you my fx3 but could only let it go for a day or so cause no telling when the urge could strike. If you were gonna head up the parks I'm not to far off, just up church
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I had to take the camera out and shoot some silhouettes earlier. Beautiful night!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

But how often does a full moon occur on a new years AND it being a "Blue Moon"? A blue moon is the second full moon in one month.....
    PC gag in place.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Question

were heading down to the cabin tomorrown and see what the last weekend of the school break pops in for the girls..i made some managed recoil 150 FMJ for kiddo's new .06 to try out
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Called 2 coyotes in on my first set tonight. My son had never been night calling with me before and had the e-caller and spotlight. When he went to light up the coyotes, be made to much noise and they both bolted for the trees. Stands 2 and 3 were dud's. Suppose to have another bright/clear night tomorrow, so we're gonna give it another try.

I went out to a spot where I had a fox come right up to me durring moose season. I found lots of fox and bunny trax but didn't see a single living creature in the 6 hours I spent out. I wonder if the bright moon kept everything holed up.

iron - Thanks for the offer, but that's just too kind to accept. I was mostly just joking around. I'll be fine with my mouth call, I hope. I'm going to try a set in some pretty thick cover that I found a few weeks ago that is absolutely loaded with hares. I found a bloody hare leg that some predator left behind, so that's got to be a good sign. I'll let ya'll know tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I went out to a spot where I had a fox come right up to me durring moose season. I found lots of fox and bunny trax but didn't see a single living creature in the 6 hours I spent out. I wonder if the bright moon kept everything holed up.
    That's a good point LuJon. I'm kind of surprised how many folks here in AK view a bright moon as good for calling preds. It is certainly good for seeing them if they are coming in. Big moons are not held in high regard in many circles down south. There is a great difference of opinion on the moon's impact on the behavior of critters. Some of the best and most experienced callers I know prefer to have it as dark as possible for night calling and won't even go out on a full moon.

Default The stars were out but not in my favor....

Well I went out with my buddy on wed night and got going about 9pm. We headed to a few spots I have had some luck in the past, but the wind was blowing and it was picking up and man was it a nice cool breeze with a nice bite with it. The wind seemed to just pick up so we headed out to some other places I know that usually are calm during the slight breezes that come through here. The moon was nice and bright and didn't even use the spotlight as could see and pick everything up with the bino's and the scope. The first stand we set up on was nice and calm and -2 and dropping which was nice to see. Didn't call anything in, but that was where I had called in a fox and two owls the last full moon. We headed off to another spot and called in a yote, but my buddy was shooting his .204 and wanted him to come in at least another 50yds as he was probably 220-240yds. I should of handed him my 250, but he told me to get it out and ready, well the case of buck fever set in and I made my shot but didn't connect. I got some crap over that one, as I should. So off to the next stand which didn't produce but the third one we called in a fox from 1/4 mile away. He was coming in hard and started to use the wind, since my buddy is in a wheelchair we were calling from the truck, put the ol fx3 on the roof and let her rip with the windows down. We were backed up to the trees in the dark shadows and here that fox came a running. It looked as if he wasn't going to stop so I got out to set up for the shot, but he must of seen something cuz he stopped and started back for the trees, I hit the call again and he started back parrelling the trees until he was straight out infront of us which was up wind. Dan didn't have a shot, so once again I was up. Night shooting is all new to me and once again there I was staring down the scope at the furry varmit and thought I was steady and let her rip.................yeah again missed!! He took off like a lighting bolt for the trees. I stepped it off and 221, no blood but I kid you not I scared the living crap out of him literly! So good thing the video couldn't pick anything up as it was to dark, and yes I won't be living down that night. He had some serious action from 1-3am. We didn't get home until 5:30am, but had a heck of a night calling. We seen moose and buffalo, and had a awesome night none the less as Dan was to be my bad luck as when I would take him out we wouldn't see anything, well now I wonder who is the bad luck. I didn't really see any changes in the behavior of the critters with the full moon, they came in hard and fast. My calling is doing better than my shooting as of Wed night, gotta change that. Sounds as if a few others had some luck, but last night was cloudy and kinda screwed up some new years callin so a bombfire, cold beer had to do! Although if the video camera would of picked it up those misses, would of made for a good blooper reel.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

1/2 my day in the office... and -30 at the cabin the kids vetoed me seems teen girls cant wear pants with out holes in them anyway..<sigh>
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Nothing for me either, and I didn't even get the action that Mike got into. My first two stands were in a beautiful location with lots of hare tracks and a few sets of lynx tracks, but I wasn't able to call anything in. I skipped my planned third stop due to a camper parked there and folks walking around with head lamps. My fourth stand was in the midst of ~40mph winds, which couldn't have helped. It was a beautiful night out, but no luck.

Default Made 3 sets last night

I made 3 sets last night. It was -15ish at the house when I left. The fist stand I saw a fox near this place a few weeks ago while driving and I sat myself at the junction of 2 slews so i could hopefully see whatever was coming from either direction. I called till my fingers felt like they were going to fall off and saw heard nothing except a snowy owl fly over and have a look at me.

Second set was about 4 miles further down the slew at the base of a hill. A coyote must have seen me coming because as soon as I made the first bleep on my call he told on me, and kept telling on me until I gave up.

I walked back to the truck and drove down the road to a place where I could park and walked out to the river. a moose had tried crossing and fell through so I decided I didn't need a bath at subzero temperatures and called on the bank that I was on. About 15 mins into my call a red Fox poked his head out of an Alder thicket about 25 yards across river. I pulled up to shoot and put the safety back on. How was I going to get my butt across the river to get him. Well I soon as I lowered my rifle to start to see if I could get him to cross the river he showed me his best side and disappears as quick as a wink. At least I didn't educate him too much.

On the plus side the Northern lights were spectacular and I probably spent too much time gawking at them then looking out for critters.

I think Ill try and afternoon call today if I get a few things done. Stay warm out there.

i have to be in Cantwell this evening.. so maye along the way... Kiddo # 2 finally admitted to leaving the snow gear at school over the break..

-35 in clear still so not much chance of running them around with out the correct gear..

meet on face book here

Default red light

Next time you have a fox of yote bark at you and give your position away.. hit them in the face with a red lense light.. They will hold still looking at the light and more times than not, they wont see you behind it.. until its too late, walk up to em and shoot them between the eyes..

Until you have tried it.. don't knock it.. this works like a charm..