Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Bear Harvest Reports

Default Black Bear Harvest Reports

Just a reminder for those who haven't yet completed the harvest report for their black bear tickets...hate to see someone run into problems because of a new (and unnecessary) regulatory policy.

Happy New Year!

Yeah I'll get around to doing mine around the middle of June. I plan on using mine this spring as the tags are good from July 1st 2009 - June 30th 2010.

Same as Lanche. I'm hoping to get out for some spring bear hunting, so I won't be doing my report until I either get a bear or two or until June 30th, whichever comes first. Given my recent success with bears, though, I may as well send them in now.

Why wait,start fresh every spring.....and there free,and there's a great chance i'd loose mine before spring....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Default Tags

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    Why wait,start fresh every spring.....and there free,and there's a great chance i'd loose mine before spring....

If you get new ones in the spring and dont use them you still have to turn them in by 30 june. Then get another set for the fall. Its a waste of time. Hillbilly

All of my harvest is DLP.

Smile

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=64491 I was thinking the same back then.Mine say,s right on the top expire,s June 30th 2010, Guess we will trade up for new one,then unless it get filled by then P.S. Don,t forget to get a new license,Now that will expire tonight at midnight .Might do little ice fishing this weekend,Picked mine up today.

I just mailed all mine in last week. I figured since I am going from a non-resident license to a resident license, I might as well go in and get fresh tags that match my license.

I'm still sweating the fact I mailed in my moose tag WAY late. Anyone know what they do to sinners like me?
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Bear tipps and reminders

you realize these reports can be filed on line, also.. if you filled one slot of 3 then that report can be filed and the tag retained for the other two slots to be taken this regulatory year.

it is important to remember though that especially for you folks in the south Central and SE regions that have a bag limit of one in some GMU's

if you fill that harvest tag in that GMU... you can still head north to an area that allows three and harvest 2 more AS LONG as the GMU with limit of one was filled first..

if you hunt in a GMU with a limit of 3 and harvest [1] one.. you can not head south into a limit of ONE[1] area and harvest another, as you already have one..

most harvest tickets are per Regulatory year rather then calendar year July 1 - June 30...though there are a few spots that occasionally pop up in the regs as per calendar year.. and will be labeled separately as such.

if you harvest a bear in may, you can harvest another in sept, on a new tag...

conversely if you harvest in sept... you may not harvest in may as you are still with in the regulatory year. unless head to a unit with a larger harvest limit.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    you realize these reports can be filed on line, also.. if you filled one slot of 3 then that report can be filed and the tag retained for the other two slots to be taken this regulatory year.

it is important to remember though that especially for you folks in the south Central and SE regions that have a bag limit of one in some GMU's

if you fill that harvest tag in that GMU... you can still head north to an area that allows three and harvest 2 more AS LONG as the GMU with limit of one was filled first..

if you hunt in a GMU with a limit of 3 and harvest [1] one.. you can not head south into a limit of ONE[1] area and harvest another, as you already have one..

most harvest tickets are per Regulatory year rather then calendar year July 1 - June 30...though there are a few spots that occasionally pop up in the regs as per calendar year.. and will be labeled separately as such.

if you harvest a bear in may, you can harvest another in sept, on a new tag...

conversely if you harvest in sept... you may not harvest in may as you are still with in the regulatory year. unless head to a unit with a larger harvest limit.

Some units never close, but reset on July 1st. So like in unit 7 with a two bear limit and no split season anymore starting in 2010 you can shoot two bears in the spring or up until June 30th, then July 1st shoot two more with new tags. So if meat is good on the June 30th bears mise well tag out with a total of 4. Only bad thing is you can't shoot till July 1st 2011.

Just saying that you don't have to wait till sept. Good call on the shooting in Sept. and not shooting in May=PWS. People get caught, usually just done by mistake-but fish and game will catch you, like a guy I know 3 years later. Misdameanor if bear is turned in or felony otherwise!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Some units never close, but reset on July 1st. So like in unit 7 with a two bear limit and no split season anymore starting in 2010 you can shoot two bears in the spring or up until June 30th, then July 1st shoot two more with new tags. So if meat is good on the June 30th bears mise well tag out with a total of 4. Only bad thing is you can't shoot till July 1st 2011.

Just saying that you don't have to wait till sept. Good call on the shooting in Sept. and not shooting in May=PWS. People get caught, usually just done by mistake-but fish and game will catch you, like a guy I know 3 years later. Misdameanor if bear is turned in or felony otherwise!
    i used sept moose season as an example not a requirments...thanks for clearing that up
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    Just a reminder for those who haven't yet completed the harvest report for their black bear tickets...hate to see someone run into problems because of a new (and unnecessary) regulatory policy.

Happy New Year!
    Noticed the Original poster has not explained why one would do this when they don't need to be completed?
    Tim

Default Black Bear Harvest Tix Unnecessary?

A couple of you have stated that black bear harvest tix are unnecessary. Why do you think so? I might buy it for the interior, but here in SE it is going to provide some much needed info to help better manage the harvest.

Default Maybe Im dumb

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    A couple of you have stated that black bear harvest tix are unnecessary. Why do you think so? I might buy it for the interior, but here in SE it is going to provide some much needed info to help better manage the harvest.

But dosnt the Info given during the sealing process give all the info needed. If not what am i missing. Hillbilly

Default Missing information

In justifying the new tags, F&G cited lack of information on total hunting effort. They know about the bears killed, but not how many people are actually hunting them. However, the hunt reports may still be a little bit short of good info, I think, because so much "bear hunting" is incidental to another hunt, such as moose. I'm not sure why this information is so important as to implement a whole new tagging requirement, but someone thought it was crucial and the Board of Game agreed.

I think, because so much "bear hunting" is incidental to another hunt, such as moose.
    The only reason I picked up black bear tags is because I spent part of moose season hunting in black bear territory and would have taken one as a target of opportunity.

If I were living back up in the interior, I'd probably bait and purposely go after a spring black.
    Now what ?

Default Balck Bear Harvest Tix

WillPhish4food has it mostly right. Sealing bears does give ADFG some great information, but only about bears killed. We have no idea how many hunters are hunting black bears, success rates, transportation types, commercial services used, etc. This info is especially important in SE where black bears are a targeted trophy animal. Now that we are in a situation where there are management concerns in SE, it would have helped recent decisions if that info had been available. A very simplistic example is POW island where the bear harvest has been steadily declining. Does that mean there are fewer bears or just fewer hunters? That's an important question when considering regulations that could effect opportunity. There will be some growing pains for sure as we all get used to this new concept, but I think hunters will quickly adapt and grabbing a black bear harvest ticket for "just in case" will be second nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    WillPhish4food has it mostly right. Sealing bears does give ADFG some great information, but only about bears killed. We have no idea how many hunters are hunting black bears, success rates, transportation types, commercial services used, etc. This info is especially important in SE where black bears are a targeted trophy animal. Now that we are in a situation where there are management concerns in SE, it would have helped recent decisions if that info had been available. A very simplistic example is POW island where the bear harvest has been steadily declining. Does that mean there are fewer bears or just fewer hunters? That's an important question when considering regulations that could effect opportunity. There will be some growing pains for sure as we all get used to this new concept, but I think hunters will quickly adapt and grabbing a black bear harvest ticket for "just in case" will be second nature.
    Then they could do it in the area's that need it. Not the whole state. Just in case????? is that hunting them or not???? What's is the point, unless they put a (just in case box) on the report.
    Tim

Default Fulcurl

Thanks. It makes sense to me.
    Mit, I would rather have it for the whole state rather than tryng to read another confusing reg about what units it is required in. I like the get it and your covered senerio. Hillbilly

hmmm grizz mostly need a tag and be sealed...

sheep need a tag and be sealed

wolf need a tag and be sealed

goat...

ox....

even moose on some units...

in fact you need a tag for all big game..and a lot of it gets sealed too...

so?? how hard is it to carry a tag and seal an animal????

not to mention.. that tag is good for three.. so you got two in the spring.. and the trooper is checking you with 2 in the fall.... OOPS now he can see you have filled those tags.. instead of taking your word for it.

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast