Thread: Moose/Bear Combo Hunt - Any Recommendations for an Outfitter?

Default Moose/Bear Combo Hunt - Any Recommendations for an Outfitter?

Happy New Year to all! It has been a pleasure reading some of the posts which I find very informative and entertaining.

I am currenly planning a trip to Alaska for a 2011 fall combo hunt for moose and brown bear/grizzly that would last approximately 14 days (+/-). Would anyone have recommendations for an established outfitter/guide? Any details and/or contact info that could be passed along would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,
    Ratner

Default http://www.wildalaskanguides.com/

Great guide and great service.http://www.wildalaskanguides.com/

Default moose and or bear

check out www.threebearsoutfitters.com Takes some good animals

A lot of the good moose hunting has gone to drawing permit for non-residents, you may want to take that into consideration. Also you may want to make inquiries as to the land ownership of where the guide hunts; there will be potentially fewer guides with concessions on state lands if the new management system is implemented on schedule.

Right now, the prospective client is in the driver's seat- the entire guiding industry is facing a down economy; there will be some real deals offered so take your time and do lots of background checking. Good luck and happy hunting!

Default Anyone know...

who exactly is still gonna be in business in 2011?
    Be careful on putting a bunch of money out there. I believe the state "concessions" are set to be in effect by then. If your guide doesn't get a concession......?????
    I'm not the authority and haven't kept up well on it, but I think things get dicey between now and then.
    To be safe, sign with a federal concession or native land guy. That would be a safer play, I'd think.

all whats said is good, but i'd look to the ak peninsula for the combo deal, gus lameroux would be the first name that comes to mind.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Yukon?

Ratner have you considered the Yukon? I am not an outfitter, but have been guiding here for over 20 years and can recommend a few outfits with total confidence. We get a lot of lower 48 hunters that choose the Yukon as it is one of the last places where you are guaranteed not to see another hunter or plane other than the one you fly in on. From what we are told this is not the case in AK. anymore. That being said we dont have coastal bears and of course AK has its share of good if not great guides/outfitters. The best advice I could give is look for someone who has been in the business for a long time, then go to a sports show and meet them, beware if they promise you the moon, you wouldnt want to hear the horror stories I hear every year from hunters who have paid huge sums of money to hunt and got really shafted.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    all whats said is good, but i'd look to the ak peninsula for the combo deal, gus lameroux would be the first name that comes to mind.
    A number of years ago I would have agreed with BRWNBR, but in these times, moose season in 9E ends Sept. 20 and bear season starts Oct. 1. Tough to do a combo.