Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Auger help

Default Power Auger help

I am looking at buying a new power auger but was hoping I could get some feedback on some experiences. I had an Eskimo Stingray but it has finally had enough problems that is non fuctional anymore. Needless to say, im not happy about that. Trying to stay below the $400 price if possible. Any reviews of certain augers would gladly be appreciated!
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Auger

use fresh clean gas good 2 CYC SYN. oil an do some PM on it they will last a life time what ever you buy

I have a jiffy 3110 and really love it. Up till this year I havent had to touch anything other then blades.

Last year made the mistake of playing with the carb adjustments when the only thing that needed adjusting was the idol screw itself..oops. Now she's running fine again! I do want to try a better synthetic oil. Finally found some.

I just ordered my new icegator electric auger. I researched the new auger thing to death and from what I read the electric is the way to go. It's hard to beat a gas auger though I know what your saying. Those electric augers will drill 40 holes through 30" of ice at -30. On a single charge. How many holes do you need in a weekend charge time is 2.5 hours. Only draw back I see is max auger size is 8". Which really sucks cause that 2" really seams to help BUT 2 years ago I pulled a 41" pike through a 8" hole. Also has a reverse feature that ACTUALLY cleans the slush from your holes. Weighs a third less then gas augers. The power head is about 420 shipped to my house in wasilla. The auger was 100 shipped. Although you could get one at sportsmans for about 70. I ordered a nils. You may check out iceshanty.com another great site and tons of auger info... my 2 cents

From all of my research I think it boils down to what color you prefer. That means there isn't enough difference in any of them to warrant one actually being better than the other. They are all good machines and do what they do really well. If you want an 8" auger with a 2 hp engine Strikemaster, Jiffy, and Eskimo all three make them and they all work well. Same with any other size auger or engine. I have an Eskimo Shark, 10" and 3 hp, because Eskimo's are so common in the south central area. I'm happy with it. As was stated, good fuel and oil with a little maintenance and they will all be very dependable. I can't comment on the electric augers as I don't think I have ever seen one. However, it seems that almost everyone who has one really likes it.

Dan

I have had the Ice Gator electric auger for two years and I will never get another gas auger again. It drills twice as fast and has been 100% reliable. I switched to the Nils head this year and holy smokes is that a great head. I've used it at -15 and drilled a dozen or so holes in 4 feet of ice on Big Lake last year. It still had plenty of charge when I left.

I truly recommend the Ice Gator electric auger, also, spend the money and order the Nils head.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default I don't have one...

... but if I was buying new auger, I'd go electric.The EPA is going to have major regulative power under this administration, I wouldn't be surprised that 2-strokers get shut down. What can they say about electric though?

Be sure to look past the paint and appearance when you get an auger. *

*How much horsepower does it have? Not too big a deal for 2 feet of ice or less, but if you're drilling 3 feet or more, as you will have to in the spring in much of SouthCentral and all of Interior Alaska, that becomes an issue. The bigger the auger, the more important horsepower is. 1.5-2 horses push an 8" ok, but run much slower when trying to run a 10" auger. A 3 HP auger will be heavier than a 2HP= is that worth it for what you need?
    *How sturdy is the auger assembly? Look at the welds, look at the thickness of the metal used.
    *Cutting technology. What kind of blades does it use, how well do they hold up, and how much will it cost to replace/sharpen them?
    *What type of transmission does it have? Gearing is important if you plan to own the auger for many years.
    *Warranty service. Both from the company that manufactures the auger and the store that sells it.
    *How easy is it to pull the auger assembly from the powerhead? Its often easiest to transport the auger, and beat it up less, if the powerhead and the auger are separate from each other. This may be the most important feature of all: cause if you can't get the auger to where you're fishing with it, what good is it?

Currently, I own a Strikemaster Mag 2000, which is a 2HP 10". It doesn't cut as fast as the Jiffy 3Hp or new 3.5Hp, but it gets er done, and is 6 or 7 pounds lighter. I got a great deal on it used. New in the box its $390-$399. Wal-Mart, Freddies and 3 Rivers all carry them. 3 Rivers has the Jiffy augers too, so you can do a side to side comparison.

Jiffy is higher than the $400 mark; the lowest priced, the White Lightning, is $429. Its a 2 hP, 9" auger. I like to drill lots of holes and move around when I fish, so I need to drill fairly quick. I also put a lot of miles on the auger in a sled behind a snowmachine.

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    I have had the Ice Gator electric auger for two years and I will never get another gas auger again. It drills twice as fast and has been 100% reliable. I switched to the Nils head this year and holy smokes is that a great head. I've used it at -15 and drilled a dozen or so holes in 4 feet of ice on Big Lake last year. It still had plenty of charge when I left.

I truly recommend the Ice Gator electric auger, also, spend the money and order the Nils head.
    I own 3 gas augers (all strikemasters) that work great, but without a doubt I would do what MNViking says. That's my plan whenever I think I'll be able to convince the wife I need a 4th......wish me luck on that one.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

we also used an electric back home in Mn....we did have issues with our batteries once....that was my determining factor when buying an auger. I WILL fish at 40 below and we do take the sleds out to some lakes to fish (or I should say have). I'd hate to drive somehwere, drag the sleds out, ride miles only to find out my batteries are toast! Or dont have enough to move around with. Nothing against them, they do work GREAT and if you drive out wherever you go you'll likely never have issues (yet that itself isnt a garuntee LOL).

You can lug a battery with you for the electric auger. Not very light, no guarantee it will survive the trip, nor have a charge when you get there. Depending on your machine, though, you may be able to run it off the snowmachine battery, especially as some models have cigarette lighter ports you can plug into. Me, I've never had cold weather drain the charge outta gasoline, so I stick with the gas auger.

They make a auger that runs off your atv battery that clips on with big alligator clips directly to your battery. lazer has one and I think jiffy as well. The one I ordered is a 24 volt system that has a insulated battery box. They say it is really tough...

Default Auger

I would go with a gas auger. I have had no problems with my Eskimo 8".
    I have ran out of gas once when I forgot the can. Other than that no problems.
    I would worry about battery power as well. Although I am sure most are pretty good
    It really all depends on where and what type of fishing you do.
    I occasionaly do some multi day fishing trips up resurrection and an electric one just would not cut it for me.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

They use the same batteries as your underwater camera or flashers so you'll always have a spare around. I have no concerns about electric augers. Eliminating the mechanical problems (recoil rope,gas leaks,fouled plugs) more than sells me on these augers. I worry more about my gas augers arriving in one piece after a long trip down our famous "not so groomed trails" than a simple electric motor and dry cell lightweight batteries that fit in your coat pocket. I only wish they would come down a little in price but still feel they would be a good investment.

hmm, they run off a flasher battery..man my flasher in the cold only lasts a couple trips and the flashers themselves I'm sure are drawing a lot less then a auger would?!?! This I dont know, more of a question. We also ran ours off a dirt bike battery, I think the old man cut the ends off and put on some clips..he's always tinkering with everything lol. He also made (and still has), an old lcd in a stainless case the battery is part of it. The transducer (a boat model) was mounted to a rod that slid up and down via a wing nut which allowed you to adjust for the depth of ice. MN doesnt get 5' like we get here but it worked great and was easy to transport if nothing else!

For traveling...take the power head off so you dont end up bending the shaft itself. I saw a guy who used a milk crate and some plywood along with some bungies. The milk crate wasnt quite high enough so he bolted in some plywood to the inside to create the heigth needed, and bungied the head down to this. It's a good idear to take the heads off from time to time anyways as I found out this fall..man mine was a PITA to take apart. A little rust made it not so much fun lol. Depending on your sled or snowmachine you could easily strap this down without fear of loosing the head. If you dont think a bungie has enough to hold it down, use a small rachet strap.

Very good points guys. I think I will go the gas route though. I don't like the like the idea of running off a battery charge. Charges go down after awhile.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I know this is quite a bit above the price you quoted but i bought a Nilsmaster Power Auger and couldnt be happier. $590 to my door in NoPo (over priced yes maybe..) but i cut 26" of ice in 15 seconds and my auger isnt even broke in yet. I HIGHLY advise at least getting a Nils cutting head, they ROCK!
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Im looking at one of the Jiffy's right now. Had an Eskimo and it angers me to even think about that piece of junk. UGH.

MNT,

You should have called...I could have saved you 590 bucks, already have a 10" jiffy

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    hmm, they run off a flasher battery..man my flasher in the cold only lasts a couple trips and the flashers themselves I'm sure are drawing a lot less then a auger would?!?! This I dont know, more of a question. We also ran ours off a dirt bike battery, I think the old man cut the ends off and put on some clips..he's always tinkering with everything lol. He also made (and still has), an old lcd in a stainless case the battery is part of it. The transducer (a boat model) was mounted to a rod that slid up and down via a wing nut which allowed you to adjust for the depth of ice. MN doesnt get 5' like we get here but it worked great and was easy to transport if nothing else!

For traveling...take the power head off so you dont end up bending the shaft itself. I saw a guy who used a milk crate and some plywood along with some bungies. The milk crate wasnt quite high enough so he bolted in some plywood to the inside to create the heigth needed, and bungied the head down to this. It's a good idear to take the heads off from time to time anyways as I found out this fall..man mine was a PITA to take apart. A little rust made it not so much fun lol. Depending on your sled or snowmachine you could easily strap this down without fear of loosing the head. If you dont think a bungie has enough to hold it down, use a small rachet strap.

Keep in mind how long your going to run your auger. Only a few minutes of use per trip on average. Keep it in perspective. With proper battery maintenance (not rocket science) it's easy to see how those electric augers could work well. People are always afraid of what they don't understand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast