Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sled for skiing/snowboarding?

Default Sled for skiing/snowboarding?

I'll admit it. I'm getting lazy. I'm tired of hiking for turns. My experience with sleds for snowboarding/skiing is limited to a few days boarding off an older RMK 700 and the newer skidoo 4 strokes.The RMK is effective as transport and trading runs worked well. The ski doo bogs in steeps and anything over about a foot of fluff.

Now, I'm looking for a sled I can ski/board off of. Here's the question: what sled would you recommend for a powder sled/mountain sled as transport for skiing (backcountry ski lift)? The sled will probably get trashed so I don't want to put too much into it, maybe $3500-$4k, preferrably a little bit less.

Any sleds to avoid?
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Well, there's probably no single right answer, but here's my $0.02:

You're going to be in the powder, so you want a mountain sled with at least a 144" track w/ 2" paddles, and as light as possible (forget about 4 strokes). Engine size is secondary to track size and weight.

Look at Craigslist for a Ski-Doo, Arctic Cat, or Polaris. Yamaha hasn't made a 2 stroke in quite a few years.

Thanks Zeb. I'll be looking for a 144"+. Are there noticeable differences in a 144" and a 152"?

Get a arctic cat 1m. Then contact the wasilla cat store and pony up for the hitch and tunnel reinforcement kit and you will have a sled that will take you and all of your gear back into some really remote areas for more backountry fun than should be legal!! I should have never sold mine!!

Buy another one, blow off Iraq, and let's go boarding!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Buy another one, blow off Iraq, and let's go boarding!!
    Please don't tempt me!!!
    I will probably throw down on a yamaha Nytro for next year. Sure there are lighter and more powerful sleds but I an gone too much to mess with all the maintenance! I just want something I can climb on and ride.

The 'Doos we've had have been like that, with the exception that you wont have to add oil, just change it...

I'd get an M-series cat, a Rev, or an IQ RMK. I keep telling people I work with who are looking at older sleds to keep looking until they find one with one of the newer rider forward chassis'. They are WAY more comfortable to ride and are generally easier on ya.

People are asking quite a bit for their sleds right now, but come spring time (and even between now and then), keep your eyes peeled. There are ALWAYS deals to be had for the patient.

Thanks, Hunt.

Jon, blow off Iraq, buy another sled, let's go snowboarding.

Default RMK

I bought a used stock '01RMK 700 three years ago for just that purpose. I've put about two thousand miles on it since and its been relatively trouble free... paid three grand at the time... worth every penny.

While the newer rider-forward sleds are fun to ride, you will pay more in the long run for initial cost and repairs... imo.

I'd keep your eyes out for a Polaris RMK or Skidoo Summit, 600 -800cc, and 144x2 track... stay away from the four-strokes and sleds with lots of mods.

Also, check out Cheetahfactoryracing.com for some good board mounts.

Be careful out there. ride with someone who knows and remember that sled-access skiing is exponentially more dangerous than just touring.

happy new years and good luck!

Default This will do...

A little out of your price range but I would imagine this thing eats hills for breakfast.

http://eielson.baseforsale.com/?cont...origin=eielson

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    I would imagine this thing eats hills for breakfast.
    And gas an oil...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Phish... you ever Helli ski Valdez area?

there are not many mountain back up in the pass area that we have not accessed with sleds... i never rode more then a 600 cc no need to . you get the power curve and the best fuel economy for that riding.

i have built power house sleds with over 24k into mods alone rode most the big sleds and always ended up on a 600.. if your skiing for turns.. your using a tow rope or a 2 up system. perhaps the 800 with a two up for the weight load.. but if towing.. well i pulled the entire 12 member ski patrol home at night on one line during the extreme skiing on my 600 with out issues... Of course i carried Doc Cullen up the hill a time or to on it also...

riding is like shooting...the big gun right out of the box may get you in more trouble then you expected. knowing how to ride is 99% of the issue.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks, Hunt.

Jon, blow off Iraq, buy another sled, let's go snowboarding.
    don't forget to invite this guy either phish........he's innovative........ crazy bout the same team too!

Default Big Mt. Sled

Phish,

Me and a friend have done a lot of backcountry snowboarding using snowmachines. You want a big track and a big motor to spin it. Pulling someone on a snowboard up a 40 degree slope with 2' of powder over a thick base simply works better if you got a lot of track moving snow.

We both have 01 RMK 800's with 151" tracks and they work great. Get a newer mountain sled and you'll have a blast. I would get something over 600cc and, while a 144" track will work, I'd go bigger - you won't regret it.

We've done the snowboard/snowmachine thing at Turnagain, Lost Lake, Hatchers, and Petersville. It is very fun when you have good conditions.

well if you're in the fairbanks area I ride also and have been looking for someone to ride with for awhile...I have two sleds, both cat 700s, a m7 and a crossfire.

I see people from time to time doing it but have yet to find someone to get out with.

TradBow, thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, I'm in the Anchorage area or I would definately take you up on the offer.

Mainer, I'm not a Bama fan. I went to UF and will be a Gator until I die.

TradBow, thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, I'm in the Anchorage area or I would definately take you up on the offer.

Mainer, I'm not a Bama fan. I went to UF and will be a Gator until I die.
    Yep he Just gambles with undying Bama Fans That said I still bet he is cheering for the Tide come Thursday.

I think a newer 7-800cc sled is a nice balance of power and weight. Cat M8 would be my choice. I've built the really big powered ones, but anymore I'd rather just pull the rope and finesse a lighter sled than wrestle a heavy one.

You can find pretty cheap Summit 600 Revs and they are great machines. Nothing wrong with a Cat 8001M. Both those sleds will be in your price range. Early 2000 Polaris and SkiDoos were basically bullet proof.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Ya early 2000 stay away from cat. Polaris or Doo were it then

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast