Thread: Time to start thinking about spring?

Default Time to start thinking about spring?

Saw this online today, hard to believe planting time is just around the corner. http://www.adn.com/life/gardening/lo...y/1074427.html

This year will be my first foray into gardening. I got the garden built last year, so this year I get to see what I can manage. I also saw Lowenfel's column, and what particularly caught my eyes was his reference to a seed company that specializes in high altitude/cold temperature seeds. I think I'll be buying a few packages and give 'em a whirl. I live at about 1,500' and our growing season is short, so I can use all the help I can get.

http://www.seedstrust.com/has/highaltitudeseeds.html

I'm in the same boat with a short growing season. I live on "the dark side" of Eagle River up Hiland road, so every advantage I can get will help. Last year was our first year so we learned a little, but have a long ways to go.

Yeah, it is already that time of year and it takes a lot of preparation in stages too. I just planted tomato, corn, artichoke, celery, eggplant, and prim rose seeds in the house with a few grow lights last week. These are all plants that take a very long time to start growing large enough for our short season.

In the first week of March I will start all the cold weather crops in the house including squash, cucumber, zuchinni, pumpkin, brocolli, cabbage, khalribi, and brussel sprouts. I will also put potatoes and onions in the windows to get them to being sprouting at this time too.

Everything else that are fast growers like peas, beans, lettuce, chard, spinach, and herb seeds will be put directly into the ground in May when the snow melts.

January is only the beginning!