Thread: Saving money when buying chicken.

Default Saving money when buying chicken.

So now that I'm no longer carrying the rifle for a living and now full time college again I've become even further frugal with spending money than I've ever been. I noticed that a package of chicken whether it be thighs, breast meat, or drums are notably more expensive that just buying a whole chicken. I bought a medium sized whole chicken for 6 dollars! This was almost the same price as 1 lb. of chicken breast.....couldnt believe it! So the first night I used the breast meat (I saved the skin) filleted into six thin slices for traditional Italian cutlets that were pan fried in extra light olive oil. These cutlets made enough to serve 3 people easily. 2 days later i butchered off the drums and thighs and pan fried this with select spices. The meat was separated from the bone and skin (bone and skin saved) and what was left of the chicken......i threw in the oven to crisp up for an hour while I prepared the drum and thigh meat for a traditional chicken fettuccine alfredo made from scratch. This pasta dish made enough for three people easily. The fresh grated Parmesan, the milk, a touch of butter, sautéed garlic, fresh Italian parsley and fried flour made for a perfect alfredo sauce. While eating this meal I took the left over chicken out of the oven and all the bones and skin from the pan fried chicken and simmered this in water and salt. By the time I cleaned up the dishes........this chicken broth was ready to be screened and the bones and skin separated from the bits of meat. These bits of meat turned out to be quite a bit and this chicken broth was the best I've ever tasted! There was just enough fat that it wasn't even necessary to remove any from the broth. I'll never spend a $1.75 on a darned 8 oz. can of chicken broth again. This actually yielded about a half gallon of the tastiest broth I've ever had. I then took this broth and separated it into pints and put them in the freezer So.....a $6.00 chicken turned out two meals big enough for three people, and a half gallon of chicken broth that has at least 4 cups of chicken meat in it. I'll never buy processed chicken again......and nothing went to waste....which is the happy ending.

Livers and gizzards are super cheap too. You might even be able to find a butcher that would be willing to give them to you. I havent found too many folks up here that are that fond of them so the demand is pretty low.

This is how I do it as well, we also have the luxury of buying half a hog too. I do all of my own processing and save a bundle.

Quote Originally Posted by davesunday View Post
    Livers and gizzards are super cheap too. You might even be able to find a butcher that would be willing to give them to you. I havent found too many folks up here that are that fond of them so the demand is pretty low.
    Fried Chicken Gizzards are awesome. I like them better than hot wings.

If I want something good and cheap I buy turkey necks and pieces. They make a good broth. And they're cheap. They are good to "boogook." That's native speak for pick at the bones. Never figured out why so many people don't like the best part of eating anything with a bone on it.

Buying whole chickens gives you the option of deciding how you want your chicken broken up. I like to cut it up for the fryer. Wishbone, breast, drumsticks, tenders, and thighs, After they are separated like this you can use them any way you like and you have a whole carcass left to boil for stock. I have cut up many chickens so I can dismember one in about 3 minutes on an average day.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/