Thread: looking for a silver lab stud

Default looking for a silver lab stud

I have a silver lab female will be 2 in July would like to breed her she comes from a kennel in AZ. She has tons of hunting drive she also is a small lab 50 pounds or so and has a great personality,smart loveable looking to find a good match not in it for the money I want pick of the litter.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by BIG 27 View Post
    I have a silver lab female will be 2 in July would like to breed her she comes from a kennel in AZ. She has tons of hunting drive she also is a small lab 50 pounds or so and has a great personality,smart loveable looking to find a good match not in it for the money I want pick of the litter.

Tim

assuming you are planning on doing all the testing - hips, elbows, cerf, PRA, thryoid, EIC, CNM - before breeding?

considering silver labs sell for quite a bit of money, I'd hope you'd at least try to get a hunt test title on her along with the above mentioned health certs....Does she mark multiple falls well? run blinds? have correct coat and conformation? proper bite? is she hard mouthed? high strung? vocal?

Why else, besides wanting a pup do you think she should be bred? because she is a silver lab? If you really want a pup out of her and are not in it for the money, why not wait til she is 4-5 yrs to breed her? that way the new pup can be trained to take over his/her roll as your hunting dog? If you are wanting another pup, why not buy another from your breeder? Then you won't have to deal with the many complications (serious complications) that can be part of pregnancy and birth? Are you willing to pay $1200 for a c-section? small litter? sick puppies?

are you going to require any health testing by the stud?
    are you going to research the stud lines (and your female's lines) for health issues or other types of issues? temperment, tractability, drive, etc.....
    are you ready to take any of the pups back, if the owners cannot keep them? If they are displastic? or have other types of issues?

Honestly and IMO, breeding simply 'because I want his/her pup' is not the right reason to breed. It is the backyard breeder's reason to breed.

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by BIG 27 View Post

Tim
    ruggers gun smoke 925-5676412 if still looking for a silver stud dog

You'll most likely have to have semen shipped in or your b****h shipped out.

If the semen is shipped in talk to the stud owner about chilled. Frozen can work but it's way trickier and more expensive.

Did I mention, you'll have to find a silver stud owner. I'd try for one with health clearances and birdiness if you can find one.