Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any interest in joining a bison co-op?

Question Any interest in joining a bison co-op?

Do you have interest in joining up with a small group of others, to cooperate in camping, hunting, and hauling out a bison together?

Of course only the permit-holder carries a rifle, shoots one, is in charge of the plan, and pays any land-access fees if there are any; I'm not recommending bending any rules here.

I'd love to go on this hunt next year, but I will likely be dead before I draw it (sing the "Some year, under the rainbow..." Dorothy song here), and I'm in good health. I'd like to go on someone's else's bison hunt (though admittedly, I'd rather have the permit myself... )

So, something like:
    - only 6 or 8 able bodied people per group; if more than that have interest in this, then more than one group is created
    - each person in the group has already entered the bison drawing
    - in March, each person in the group announces here if they've won a tag or not
    - if no one in your group draws you don't go bison hunting and you're where you're at now...
    - if one person in your group draws the permit, you go camping & hunting with them, and you promise to help haul out meat. And between March and the hunt, the permit-holder gets to to know the members of his group. Anyone can back out anytime, no questions asked.
    - if two people in a group draw out - yeah, that'd be a fun & easy problem to solve
    - there might be some synergy in toys, tools, and needs too. For example I have a good drag, good game cart, strongasheck ATV with winch, rope-a-long, and frame backpack. And if I wouldn't mount the animal but would be interested in a skull and hide; but mostly would want it for the eating. And a good friend of mine would love to make a powderhorn from a horn, I know. Others might have more interest in trophy's than in eating it.

Any interest? If so, what else should be considered?

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Sounds like a good idea.

FamilyMan,

Sounds like a great idea, I would be willing to assist a fellow hunter get his game out of the woods, and would definately appreciate the same support as well.

I'm signed up for the DI403 drawing.

Count me in.

Ralph

Default Interested

I too am interested. While I know I can process a deer you haven't seen big until you've see my eyes looking over a big-ol-buff on the ground.

Help is appreciated! Indeed needed. A meat sharing arrangement would sit well with me. I'd be keeping the trophy. Likely a backskin and skull

We're already seeing the dynamics of a diverse group of applicants. Fairwell, Delta, and Copper all provide unique logistics. You would have to have folks sign up for a region or something along that order. I aways apply for Delta but you wouldn't find me committing to a "help out" over in Fairwell. Just the logistics of getting up to Delta from Sitka are expensive and time consuming.

If I was coming to be a hauler, skin puller, spotter, and moral booster than I'd likely just fly into Fairbanks and run with another coop member. If I was the shooter than I'd run with my rig up the ferry to Haines and Drive up.

Default Bison Coop

PM sent.

Terry

Coop? no thanks - I'll pass

for the few guys that will go on the hunt with me this winter, we'll all eat great, IF we happen to get a Bison.

and these guys....are more that willing to help pay their share of the "access" fee

Not sure why you think that would be bending to the rules to help you on the hunt, but to each his own

bring on the daylight and COLD weather

Default Delta Bison Management Issues

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=70263

Don't want to hijack this thread but just want to let all hunters know that if you want to see the bison hunt continue you may want to become more knowledgeable about some of the management issues that will impact the future of this hunt. See above link, and you can comment in mgmt forum on those issues. Thanks,

Thumbs up 4 guys in, so far

Use this thread to jump into this yourself, and I'll keep track of who-all is in. Or criticize or add info to this idea too; that's OK. Yeah, bushrat, I am aware of some of the troubles involved in this hunt; that makes me further believe that I'll not get to participate in it before I die - and I'm planning on living some more decades.

So sometime in the coming weeks we can formalize the group or groups. Maybe even this forum's mgmt might donate a "social group" part of this forum to help - but lets cross that bridge when we come to it.

I'm glad to see that we have 4 guys in so far; that's enough to launch it right there. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Do you have interest in joining up with a small group of others, to cooperate in camping, hunting, and hauling out a bison together?...Any interest? If so, what else should be considered?
    Please add me to the list :-)
    My work schedule can get a little strange, but as long as it cooperates..it would be fun. Have pack, argo, and willingness

Family man my son and I are in.
    Paul

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=70263

Don't want to hijack this thread but just want to let all hunters know that if you want to see the bison hunt continue you may want to become more knowledgeable about some of the management issues that will impact the future of this hunt. See above link, and you can comment in mgmt forum on those issues. Thanks,
    also the spring BOG props are out... with suggestied changes to the bison time lines for hunts and such.. take a look at the game managment forum... and read through them.. there are a lots of changes,, not just for Bison, but 40 mile bou, unit 20 Moose and others..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Post done the hunted twice as " self guide/spoter" ..new/know the area

hunted with 2 buddys that won over the years...not to hard to hunt at all,.."fine'em " and shoot.....Now the land owner....then the sex of the one u see ...in the heard.... OR....out by it self... and shot placement....THEMS THE issues ..... buff'es come in A LOT of sizes...my 1.98
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Question bison hunt recommends

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    hunted with 2 buddys that won over the years...not to hard to hunt at all,.."fine'em " and shoot.....Now the land owner....then the sex of the one u see ...in the heard.... OR....out by it self... and shot placement....THEMS THE issues ..... buff'es come in A LOT of sizes...my 1.98
    Feel free to post more particulars; its likely that no one signed up here has done it before in Alaska.

Judging gender is non-obvious, but not hard if you're taking your time, and I wouldn't shoot a bison any other way. I got one 16 years ago, but not in Alaska (yet).

Tougher than that is judging where the neckbone is; with vertebrae 6+ inches in diameter this shot placement isn't a showoff shot; its needed to drop'm in their tracks. But the hump can throw off your estimate of where exactly the neckbone is.

Cool 1st time out ...

about a year ...before the hunt i wacthed some milling around by the river...and when they took a leak thats when i new what sex it was... then started looking for the same traits in the others......it was a bit ruff.....lots of colors to.....on the 1st hunt i did we snuk up on them all laided up at <50 yds , even then i waited on what i fig was a bull...and when it got up i was ...still buyin my time and did not give the "shoot" sign.. but to get ready ... then it took a leak....bang...and buff'es DO stampee'd....and u feel it!!

Default Want to watch the reAL THING?

There is a farm down Pt. mackinzie road where a farmer is raising Bison. Must be over a hundred head. If you want to watch and learn, I can give you the road name to drive down if you PM me. I watched the herd for hours last year while moose hunting and loved the hell out of them.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Thumbs up stampeeeeeed!

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    ... then it took a leak....bang...and buff'es DO stampee'd....and u feel it!!
    Yes! That's a feeling I will never forget - you can actually feel the ground shake. A truly awesome feeling. I've seen lots of big game moving quickly; but bison are the only that I've felt.

Yes, thewhop, I have been by that place over at Pt. Mac. I do love just watching bison in their natural habits; they are such a regal beast.

I could have a lot of fun on a bison hunt again - whether its me pulling the trigger or someone I'm with. And with the extremely low odds of drawing the permit ... well, that's what my thinking was in starting this discussion about a bison coop.

I'm happy to see others interested in this too. Lets collect ideas on how to go about it who's interested in working together on this for now - Maybe through March 1st? Then the drawing results are out and we know where the permits are going.

Thumbs up well....

if i don't win something.....count me as camp cook/beer taster

Default Count me in

Hey!
    I am not eligible for a few more years, but I would love to help out and video your hunt. I have hunted Delta Bison and I know the Area very well. I run a Sony HDR-1000 HDV camera and would love to get your hunt on video. If anyone is looking for reference video to aid in judging bison, I was able to take some pretty good stuff when I did my hunt. My camera person had to bug out on me -20 deg f over 1hr stalk during the kill stalk, but I have tons of footage we took on Cows, Small Bulls and 4 different stalks on Big Bulls that would not step away from the herd a safe shot.
    So! If you are looking for a Camera Person, Skinner, Packer that knows the area, count me in.
    Louis

Default fun stuff

Quote Originally Posted by cusackla View Post
    Hey!
    I am not eligible for a few more years, but I would love to help out and video your hunt. I have hunted Delta Bison and I know the Area very well. I run a Sony HDR-1000 HDV camera and would love to get your hunt on video. If anyone is looking for reference video to aid in judging bison, I was able to take some pretty good stuff when I did my hunt. My camera person had to bug out on me -20 deg f over 1hr stalk during the kill stalk, but I have tons of footage we took on Cows, Small Bulls and 4 different stalks on Big Bulls that would not step away from the herd a safe shot.
    So! If you are looking for a Camera Person, Skinner, Packer that knows the area, count me in.
    Louis
    What a happy thought, during winter. I want to be there, now.

I've added you to the list cusackla; cross your fingers.

Default Awesome!

I will look forward to the draw:-)

Default Add me to the list

I shot a big Delta Bull in 1994. Used snowmachines to find the herd at 17 below zero, that was the warm day. Made a three hour stalk to within 50 feet followed by a good clean kill using a Rem 700 30-06 with 220 grain silvertips. I have donated a lot of money trying to get drawn since too. Trying again this year!!!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast