Thread: Model 70 Winchester Big Bores

Default Model 70 Winchester Big Bores

I keep hearing rumors that Brownchester is going to start making the M70 in big bore calibers again. Has anyone else heard this?

Smile

Brownchester ? Anyway, the model 70 Safari Express, is being made in: 416 Rem Mag.
    458 Win Mag and in 375 H&H Mag. They ought to qualify as ....big bore.

Yes, they are. Though, we probably won't hear anything 'official' about it until after the SHOT show. Winchester not offering a new big bore in stainless is a joke, however.

Yes they are doing big bores. Nothing secret about it, its on their dealer list and we have already placed orders

New rifles are listed on the Winchester web site...

I'm looking forward to seeing one in person.

Posted this a couple of weeks ago:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=69777
    Tennessee

Hodge, you're right, they are listed on the website. I just checked it a week or two ago and it didn't show them.

Sav, Winchester closed the New Haven plant where the M70 was made and sold their name to Browning/FN. Hence the 'Brownchester' nickname. The guns are now made in Columbia SC.

Most gun stores around town ask $1700+ for M70 Classics in these calibers. I was in GNG last week and they are asking $1,800 for one chambered in 416. They are great guns, and worth that in my opinon, but it will be interesting to see what happens to the price on the New Haven guns when these new ones hit the shelves at $1280 MSRP. I suspect purists will still place a preimum on the New Haven guns, but everything I hear says that the ones made in SC are as good or better than any M70 ever made, to include the pre-64s.

I agree with the comments about not making a stainless big bore M70. Bummer.