Thread: 700 RMK coolant leak

Default 700 RMK coolant leak

I have a 1998 700 RMK that has sprung a leak in the cooling system. Any advise on the easiest way to locate the leak, and any ideas on where it is likely to be located? There is a small leak out of the head gaskets, but that is not the problem. The coolant appears in the bottom of the tub, and empties the system of coolant in a matter of minutes.
    Thanks
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Fill up the coolant and watch it while it idles. If it is emptying the reservoir that quick, it shouldn't be hard to find. Once the machine is hot, you should be able to see the leak steaming. Make sure to check where the coolant hoses are rubbing other items and where they are ty-wrapped. Rubbing is probably the problem.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default where it comes out of the resevoire

many of the clips that hold the hose to the bottle are not the kind that should be on there, the clips must be the ones that can adjust and flex, not the screw on clamps that we are all so familiar with. I had a problem with my RMK, and it was doing the same after a ride, would dump coolant into the tub. hope you can figure it out.

Pressure testing the system is the easiest way to find your leak. Probably one of the hoses rubbing against something, could be a bad radiator cap, but not likely.

""and empties the system of coolant in a matter of minutes""" wow that can't be hard to fine!!!..are u sayin the coolant bottle goes empty?.. .....them rmks like to run below the "fill to here line"..u keep adding and it keeps going a little below that line and to the tub...that is how i find people with there hoods up..9times out of 10.........good luck, get er done
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Thanks for the help, if it ever warms up, I'll give them a try. Where can you buy the correct coolant hose clamps?
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

No, it empties the bottle. You wouldn't think It would be hard to find, but it's not immediately obvious where the leak is.
    Henry Ford

New hose and clamps. Then recheck.

My brand-new 03 700 slow-leaked coolant after 1 season and it drove me crazy until I decide to start with the easy stuff first. New clamp fixed it.

Besides, your machine is 10 years old now. The hoses probably need replacing anyway.

Default Mechanical seal

It could be a bad mechanical seal in the water pump. If so it will leak from the weep hole located on the bottom of the water pump housing where you can't see it without a mirror.