Thread: Chum Check

Default Chum Check

I fish Big Lake due to my in laws have a cabin and the family spends time there. Big Lake is no bait single hook. I have read on this forum that some people chum the water with no bait on the hook.

Today I was told by troopers in Wasilla that this will result in a ticket. If they see any oily sheen on the water in the ice hole, they will assume it to be a violation. I want to share what I was told so no one runs into trouble.

Default good info.

Quote Originally Posted by Rising_Creek View Post
    I fish Big Lake due to my in laws have a cabin and the family spends time there. Big Lake is no bait single hook. I have read on this forum that some people chum the water with no bait on the hook.

Today I was told by troopers in Wasilla that this will result in a ticket. If they see any oily sheen on the water in the ice hole, they will assume it to be a violation. I want to share what I was told so no one runs into trouble.
    I read the same as you and was wondering the same thing. I was out there about a week ago and a officer stopped to check our license and hooks. Just after he left my partner said we should have asked him about that. Of course, not knowing for sure we had stayed on the safe side and brought zero bait out with us.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default Know your sources

Just cause a trooper says it doesn't make it so. They're human just like the rest of us. And some of them seem to think that all fishermen are breaking a law, and its their sworn duty to find out which law is getting broken. Check the statute to be sure- "chumming" is not illegal by statute, only by certain troopers' sayso= and that doesn't fly in court. The summary, which is the copy of the regs available to the public, specifically says "HOOK." It does not say the use of bait is illegal, only that bait on a hook is illegal. (Note: the summary is not the final authority, as it sometimes has mistakes, but its hard to find intent to violate if the letter of the regulations as written in the summary is being followed)

The fishing summary states, on page 34: "In Big Lake, only one unbaited, single-hook, artificial, lure is allowed..." (bold and underline is in the book, not added by me)

Default Call to ADF&G

FYI - Last year I actually called ADF&G (Anchorage) and asked about chumming on Big Lake. The guy I spoke to said that it was a "gray area" and that it would be up to the trooper to decide on weather or not to issue a ticket.
    Personally I interpret it as legal due to the wording in the definition of bait. From the regs: "bait means any substance applied to fishing gear for the purpose of attracting fish by scent, including fish eggs in any form, natural or preserved animal, fish, fish oil, shellfish, or insect parts, natural or processed vegetable matter, and natural or synthetic chemicals."
    Key words being "applied to fishing gear".
    Anyway, I'm curious to hear others thoughts and experiences with this......

Been checked many times on big lake and we use chum every time. The famos question they ask is "what you using for bait" when they show up then they have you pull your lines so they can see your hook and if its a treble or not. We fish with cameras and on more than one occassion I've asked them if they want to take a peak at the bottom. (of coarse this is only done to the polite and not the gung-ho troopers) when they look down and see the bottom they ask well whats that or whats this, I explain it to them and they all say the same thing. "well, if your jigging and some of that gets on your hook then I'll have to ticket you" I've been checked by 4 different troopers and 2 of them have a problem with chumming and 2 dont. so you got a 50/50 shot on who you get.Play by the rules and you should be ok..my 2 cent

also I thought I read somewhere in one of the regbooks last year that there are some lakes you CAN NOT chum in. This was stated in the book. So IMO if it said it in one place and not another then its legal.

Default Alaska fishing reds

that is the way it is in Alaska the regs are all messed up as what you can do when fishing, like Keni river size of fish you can keep at one end of the river you keep fish 16 or less an the other end you can keep one 19 or less [Rainbow] I think, when the board meets an some one puts a new rule in it is just for what he wants not for the state, PW sound you can use Pink Salom sport caught for bait but if you use it in Cook inlet LOOK OUT FOR THE GAME WARDEN my 2 CTS

SID

Good to hear from people who have talked to troopers on Big Lake. I fished the west end of Sheperd"s Island in 20 ft of water. No chum and no action. My 8 year old son watched all the snow machines go by. Eventually we gave up on the fish and fired up the sled.

Talking

When the trooper asks, tell them you got sick to your stomach when you was looking down the hole. Then get real close, face to face and start burping like its about to happen again. Might change his outlook on things.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~